Parking maddness

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
I start this topic having spent the better part of the afternoon directing traffic. We have the people going out (full house check out) wanting to leave their cars till they leave town and the new arrivals wanting to get in. We have a permit system where if they came in and asked what to do they can park easily but they just drive round getting crosser and crosser and then ask which drives me mad! And then one of my neighbours said one of our people could park in their car park till ours left so they parked blocking 4 of the other places guests in out of sheer stupidity. So I had to sort all of this out making me 20 mins late to the vet. If it too much to ask that people park properly? I am not a traffic warden!!!

We are one space short here. (The rule in town is- one space per room and one space for the innkeeper.) According to someone's infinite wisdom, the innkeeper needs one car only. So, I have 7 guest slots and 1 innkeeper slot. When guests show up with multiple cars we are SOL. We move our cars so the guests can have the spaces. This is a bit of a resort town and we regularly get random cars parked here for events at the hotel next door. THEIR parking lot is too far away. I have to chase people down and tell them they can't park here for events next door.
My peeve? We have lines painted on the parking lot to show where the spaces are. Guest will pull in, see no other cars and park across the lines instead of between them. Hello! You are not the only person staying here!
Taking 2 or more spaces with your one car is my peeve.

We are one space short here. (The rule in town is- one space per room and one space for the innkeeper.) According to someone's infinite wisdom, the innkeeper needs one car only. So, I have 7 guest slots and 1 innkeeper slot. When guests show up with multiple cars we are SOL. We move our cars so the guests can have the spaces. This is a bit of a resort town and we regularly get random cars parked here for events at the hotel next door. THEIR parking lot is too far away. I have to chase people down and tell them they can't park here for events next door.
My peeve? We have lines painted on the parking lot to show where the spaces are. Guest will pull in, see no other cars and park across the lines instead of between them. Hello! You are not the only person staying here!
Taking 2 or more spaces with your one car is my peeve..
We don't have any rules here we are lucky 12 rooms and we can get 12 in if we park tidily plus we get permits for street parking but we are in a row with 4 other places and Arc has 8 rooms 3 spaces, Ashgrove has 7 rooms 3 spaces, Azealia has 17 rooms 8 spaces there is about 3 spaces on the street behind our places and some more on the road adjacent but they don't realise we can give them permits for there so drive round and round looking for unrestricted parking of which there is none getting crosser and crosser.

We don't have any rules here we are lucky 12 rooms and we can get 12 in if we park tidily plus we get permits for street parking but we are in a row with 4 other places and Arc has 8 rooms 3 spaces, Ashgrove has 7 rooms 3 spaces, Azealia has 17 rooms 8 spaces there is about 3 spaces on the street behind our places and some more on the road adjacent but they don't realise we can give them permits for there so drive round and round looking for unrestricted parking of which there is none getting crosser and crosser.
Are these guests doing the driving around walk-ins or expected guests? Is there a way of telling the expected guests that if the parking is all full they should pop in and get a parking pass? (Not that anyone reads the confirmations!)

MY problem is keeping guests from parking in the parking lot across the street. There is plenty of parking space in front of the house on the street. The VFD owns the parking lot actoss the street but they do not like us and I do not want anyone getting huffy and pulling a tow away during the night. It is not posted, but why take a chance. (DH has been too mouthy - and too loud - when speaking of the "boys club" who wash their cars, boats, motorcycles, trucks, and semis with VFD water instead of their own. We pay a fee to the VFD every month is our City Services fees so in essence we are paying the water bill for them to wash vehicles.)

Are these guests doing the driving around walk-ins or expected guests? Is there a way of telling the expected guests that if the parking is all full they should pop in and get a parking pass? (Not that anyone reads the confirmations!)
we do tell as many as we can not that they read anything we send them but one of the booking agencies we use just gives us an address and not an email so if they are comming tommorro say its is too late. people just don't have any common sense.

Back