Part of noise problems

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
What do we do about old people who are a bit deaf and turn their TV's up a bit loud? they genuinly don't think it is loud but it is. Or as part of this how do you approach noise problems generally.

Get some TV Ears! They advertise them on the radio that they can turn the volume up to hear it but YOU can have the set on normal volume. I do not have enough rooms for it to be a problem.

On our room notes we ask for volumes to be turned down at 10pm - a plastic frame that sits by the TV remote/ other half of the duel frame has the TV listings. Ususally this does the trick but as Guillum mentioned, I have thought about these gizmos or something like them.

That has happened here only once...my little sign by the TV asks them to respect others in the house and keep volumes low. The one time it happend..the guy's wife screamed at the top of her lungs.. TURN THAT TV DOWN! OMG...but it worked :)

I've not done this but I have seen the children of the oldsters do this...turn on the closed captioning on the TV program and turn the volume down completely.
A place we looked at had a remote control and if TV sound was creeping out of the room, they would walk by with the remote and slowly lower the sound. They found if they did it a few times the guests assumed the TV did it on its own.

This is why we have no tv's, we would need to be policing constantly for noise. Sounds travels very easily in this old house.

I hear a guest's TV once in a while, but never at problem levels. Other horrifying sounds, on more than one occasion, but not TV's!

Some people need the tv on to fall asleep. My mother blasts the tv, my grandmother blasts the tv. She is the only person ever I have heard the tv from down here!

flip the breaker switch..........reseting the TV..............sure the electric clocks in rooms would have to be reset.........this will give the guest something to do while they are trying to figure out why the power flicked off and on

Some people need the tv on to fall asleep. My mother blasts the tv, my grandmother blasts the tv. She is the only person ever I have heard the tv from down here!.
Joey Bloggs said:
Some people need the tv on to fall asleep. My mother blasts the tv, my grandmother blasts the tv. She is the only person ever I have heard the tv from down here!
We have wi-fi in the rooms. A lot of younger people bring their laptops and stream movies or watch DVDs. Most of our older guests are thankful to not have the distraction and enjoy the uncommon quietness that they don't get at home. I know that probably alienates us from a segment of the population, but I really love the guests who come out here for the quiet. They get what it is we're trying to accomplish. Slow down. Be at peace. Relax.

We have TVs in the rooms and so far no problems. We do have guest who choose not to turn them on. We do not offer wifi just yet!

Some people need the tv on to fall asleep. My mother blasts the tv, my grandmother blasts the tv. She is the only person ever I have heard the tv from down here!.
Joey Bloggs said:
We have wi-fi in the rooms. A lot of younger people bring their laptops and stream movies or watch DVDs. Most of our older guests are thankful to not have the distraction and enjoy the uncommon quietness that they don't get at home. I know that probably alienates us from a segment of the population, but I really love the guests who come out here for the quiet. They get what it is we're trying to accomplish. Slow down. Be at peace. Relax.
Proud Texan wrote: They get what it is we're trying to accomplish. Slow down. Be at peace. Relax.
If you don't have that on your website, you should - nice and bold.
wink_smile.gif

we have tv's in 3 of our 5 rooms... the other 2 rooms are just too small for anything in the room. We also have wifi - we've gotten lots of military stays who bring their laptops... most all ask if we have tv's and are surprised that they are not in all the rooms. So we are considering getting small flat screens to put on the dressers. There has not been any issues with noise (knock on wood)

Now if you could flip the breaker on the extreme snorers then we would have somethin' to really talk about! I would be all over that. Ever wonder why some people need a tv? Well there it is right there.

Back