Passport Fees Increase July 13, 2010

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Internet Travel Monitor - Events & Legislation
July 7, 2010
U.S. Passport Fees Set to Rise July 13
LOS ANGELES, CA - Summer travelers just can’t get a break. First, the airlines slap on surcharges for the season, and now the U.S. State Department is raising passport fees and imposing a new fee for extra visa pages.
The new passport prices take effect next week, on July 13. So you’ll save money by applying or renewing this week. How much? Here are some comparisons:
  • Adult passport: New fee: $135. Old fee: $100
  • Adult passport renewal: New fee: $110. Old fee: $75
  • Minor passport (under age 16): New fee: $105. Old fee; $85
  • Adult passport card (allows border crossings by land): New fee: $55. Old fee: $45
  • Minor passport card: New fee: $40. Old fee: $35
  • Extra visa pages: New fee: $82. Old fee: It was free of charge
The plan to raise the fees, first proposed in February, has been protested by some congressmen, AAA and other organizations. In fact, more than 70% of the 1,797 public comments filed with the State Department “expressed concern about the increase,” the department said.
But Brenda Sprague, deputy assistant secretary of State for passport affairs, has said the fee increases are needed to cover rising costs, including high-tech security features added to passports and new passport facilities being built to keep up with demand.
To learn how to apply for a passport or renew one, go to the State Department’s website for travelers. For details on the fee increases and the debate surrounding them, check out the “interim final rule” section of the Federal Register — at more than dozen pages, not exactly light reading

I am good to go since I just renewed last October before I went to the U.K. Thanks for posting this though....someone my dh works with is supposed to travel to the UK in a couple of months. I'll let them know to check this out!!

I have to get my passport renewed and it is about $120 what a rip off.

Back