Patience is wearing thin but I didn’t say what I wanted to say, so, so far, so good

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Guest: may I stay in the room until my sister picks me up?
Me: (cuz it’s not my first time) What time is she picking you up?
Guest: 4 o’clock.
Me: (cuz it’s not my first time) That’s a whole other day. Let me see if that room is occupied tomorrow.

Me: we can let You stay until 4 o’clock for $50.
Guest: I will take a walk. I don’t want to pay more.

THIS is where I DON’T say, and I don’t feel like cleaning a room at 5 o’clock for f#%*g free!

Guest: Oh, can I leave my bag?
Me: Sigh........ 😔

I have a thin patience tale as well. It involves sex and menstruation and us not going into rooms to clean on a daily basis. Thus finding all the bedding ( top and bottom sheets, pillowcases, and mattress cover) in a bloody pile on the floor and realizing the guests slept on the bed bug cover.

Oh well, the season is over and we’ll have guests again (I hope) in April.

Update. She changed her mind when she realized not having to walk for five hours in the rain might be worth $50.

I even told her that we need to charge because that’s a whole extra day in which we can’t get our cleaning done. I was semi-nice about it.

That’s so uncivilized. Did you add an extra cleaning fee?
It took several hours of soaking in Dawn to get it out of the sheets. Not sure it’s ever coming out of the very puffy mattress pad. That’s doing its soaking now.

We haven’t charged extra for excessive messes. This was tough because the mess was probably from Friday and they could have told us on Saturday. They could have had clean sheets for the rest of the weekend. Oh, and all the windows were wide open and the heat was up to 80. So there went the money we brought in — heating costs and a new bottle of Dawn.

BTW, your person was not going to go for a five hour walk, no matter how nice it was outside. She was going to be back by 1 to haunt you. ;-)

I know. I was practicing saying, no, we don’t have a bathroom. I’m sorry, your room has been cleaned, so, no.

I would have given her until noon. But four o’clock made me angry.

You have to be really careful with late checkouts.
Had a young woman ask if she could check out at noon instead of 11 as she wanted to go up and see the lighthouse after an early breakfast. By 1 pm she hadn't returned and we were flipping rooms. I took a fews quick pics of her room then scooped everything unpacked into a clear trashbag. She rushed in just before 2, shocked to find her things packed up this way and stowed away and 'her' room being cleaned. I explained that check in started at 3. She raced down the stairs and into the little bathroom off the dining area (that also served as my bathroom) and got in the shower. She emerged just as the new checkins were arriving.
I told her we were adding our late check out fee of $50 to her bill. 'Whatever' was her reply.
That charge and the balance for her stay didn't go through. No surprise
She left one heck of a mess in the bathroom. Again, no surprise
lots of lessons learned from that one

But in what universe does check out mean it's time to take a shower?

But in what universe does check out mean it's time to take a shower?

We had one of those. He left his wife here while he went out. She was a peach. We told her she could sit in the living room until he got back but we had to clean the room. She read and had some coffee. I had a bad feeling about him so I locked the room door after it was cleaned. When he came back he was a sweaty mess and shoved his wife out of the way, said she was an idiot and he had to ‘search the room.’ I blocked his way and said the room was cleaned and there was nothing of his left in the room. He glared at me but I take up a bit more space than his wife and I’m an unknown quantity. ;-)

haha! Good for you.

I had a big bully of a male guest challenge me when I blocked the way into a closed area and told him he couldn't come in
He said 'what are you going to do to stop me, Mighty Mouse?'
I was working alone and had taken this course that taught to make your body take up as much space as you can
so I stood up straight with my feet apart, hands on hips like Mighty Mouse and glared up at him.
I thought my fierce glare had intimidated him into retreating until I realized my equally large son had come in through the back kitchen door and walked up behind me.

It took several hours of soaking in Dawn to get it out of the sheets. Not sure it’s ever coming out of the very puffy mattress pad. That’s doing its soaking now.

We haven’t charged extra for excessive messes. This was tough because the mess was probably from Friday and they could have told us on Saturday. They could have had clean sheets for the rest of the weekend. Oh, and all the windows were wide open and the heat was up to 80. So there went the money we brought in — heating costs and a new bottle of Dawn.

BTW, your person was not going to go for a five hour walk, no matter how nice it was outside. She was going to be back by 1 to haunt you. ;-)

Why not? Look at all the work you had to do. You should charge extra.

We had one of those. He left his wife here while he went out. She was a peach. We told her she could sit in the living room until he got back but we had to clean the room. She read and had some coffee. I had a bad feeling about him so I locked the room door after it was cleaned. When he came back he was a sweaty mess and shoved his wife out of the way, said she was an idiot and he had to ‘search the room.’ I blocked his way and said the room was cleaned and there was nothing of his left in the room. He glared at me but I take up a bit more space than his wife and I’m an unknown quantity. ;-)
He never would have made it to the room if he'd said that to my wife.

Electronic locks do wonders... they know they can be timed... you aren't getting into that room.

My patience is shot too but this weekend is the last until May 1. Yippee! Only two more breakfast mornings! Unfortunately, I also have to work in a Halloween party I want to attend and my birthday. ;)

My patience is shot too but this weekend is the last until May 1. Yippee! Only two more breakfast mornings! Unfortunately, I also have to work in a Halloween party I want to attend and my birthday. ;)
Halloween parties, and any parties are ill advised. They are spreader events. I’d honestly like to stop the spread so we can get back to having parties.

Halloween parties, and any parties are ill advised. They are spreader events. I’d honestly like to stop the spread so we can get back to having parties.
We have had very little covid here. In fact I don't know of any in our community. None. The Halloween party is outside in the fresh air...much better for your health than rebreathing bacteria laden air back into your lungs from a germ filled mask and getting pneumonia. I will agree that high risk folks need to stay home.

We have had very little covid here. In fact I don't know of any in our community. None. The Halloween party is outside in the fresh air...much better for your health than rebreathing bacteria laden air back into your lungs from a germ filled mask and getting pneumonia. I will agree that high risk folks need to stay home.

People forget what a diverse Country we live in. Not everyone lives in population centers of density. Some of us are in small / low populated States. My beautiful West Virginia is mostly rural - largest City has about 55,000 population. I am between 2 of the 10 largest cities in the State and neither has 20,000.

Since March when they started the death count to start EVERY newscast - we have now had about 524 deaths, mostly in nursing homes which makes one wonder how they got it since the nursing homes were shut down (and I think they died of isolation as much as anything else because they could not see, feel, and touch those they loved and loved them).

Yes the numbers are up - they are testing like mad among other reasons to get the schools open so they can play football and other sports. And again, the sub-headline on the front page of my newspaper today is: Outbreaks reported in several nursing homes around the NCWC region (north central West Virginia) We are outdoors oriented and most of the young obits in our paper are drug related - yes, it is here also as we have several Interstates in WV so they come from Detroit, Pittsburgh, Columbus, and New York with the supplies. Drugs is a bigger problem in this Country than Covid.

well, huband tested postive last Thursday for covid and I am presumptively positive. We are suspecting it was from a wedding party, but have no proof. The tracing process is very far behind so we have reached out to all guests from last week and this past week. We had guests staying with us, so we told them what was up.. we double hit the public spaces and stopped breakfast services. They completed their stay - Friday and Sat am. All future bookings were cancelled (emailed and called) for 2 weeks out. Husband has mild symptoms and I just have a scratchy throat. Stinks big time!

Terrible to feel helpless. My daughter and son-in-law in Ontario are starting their second week of self isolation. Someone in his work crew decided to keep working even after his wife tested positive. It wasn't until he tested positive that he told the company. That has affected half the company, and a major demolition that was scheduled for next week had to be pushed back to mid-December. This has cost time and money for not just the company, but all of the trace contacts. My daughter is at risk and she has been majorly cautious since the beginning. They have both tested negative but it is the selfish actions of other people that are maddening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back