Patience Isn't My Virtue

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
I don't know how Maddy does it. I just don't have the patience for some people....
This morning after all my guests have checked out, someone comes to the door asking for a room. I don't do "door". You want a room, you book online before noon. Asked to see the room... nope... the price of admission is staying here. (I don't need people casing the joint... and you don't get to enjoy the grandeur without paying... SORRY!)
Well, then too expensive! Sure, the place she's staying is from $50 a person including free garage... a very basic place on a busy street in a nondescript house. I'm more than double that and no free garage.
Sent to another place, figured... out of my hair... nope, keeps on calling. I finally texted two addressed and said that was it.
Maddy, I don't know how you do it. I have enough to do without having to handle people who can't manage to plan properly.

Oh forgot to mention I got the "Is that your best price?" thing as well. Went down like a set of cement balloons. I don't negotiate price either.

I have had 5 calls today, none of which have anything to do with booking a room. I am with you Generic 100%. When they window shop they are wasting your time or they would have already booked a room.

Don't worry, patience is built through hard times....
wink_smile.gif
We like you anyways!

Sorry, can't stand those types. Our front door is always locked and my husband now steps outside to speak with anyone walking up - they don't get in. He asks them where they are staying and without question they have chosen a cheap place in the area but wanted to see ours for a tour - didn't want to pay the price they saw online but wanted to waste our time getting a tour. We don't do tours, we hand them our brochure from the rack outside the door and then thank them for stopping by. On the phone I'll answer a quick question if I can but after that tell them to call the chamber where they can answer as many questions as they like about the area.
I don't think patience is built over time, I think you either have it for these types or you don't. My patience has run dry and after a decade it's not getting any better.

Sorry, can't stand those types. Our front door is always locked and my husband now steps outside to speak with anyone walking up - they don't get in. He asks them where they are staying and without question they have chosen a cheap place in the area but wanted to see ours for a tour - didn't want to pay the price they saw online but wanted to waste our time getting a tour. We don't do tours, we hand them our brochure from the rack outside the door and then thank them for stopping by. On the phone I'll answer a quick question if I can but after that tell them to call the chamber where they can answer as many questions as they like about the area.
I don't think patience is built over time, I think you either have it for these types or you don't. My patience has run dry and after a decade it's not getting any better..
I hate those who want a tour. What, is this a national museum? NO! Buy a night, get the tour.

We get calls and when we tell them the rates we never hear from them again.

First time anyone has accused me of having patience.
I don't give tours for the sake of a tour. If someone wants to see a specific room before they book I'll do that because walk ins are a measurable part of my biz model.
We do get folks who are staying elsewhere wanting to know what our prices are. Maybe trying to find a better deal, which we mostly are.
If the price is too high for the lookie Lou I ask what they want to pay. Then I send them wherever accepts that amount for payment. It's a short list. No do overs.
The folks who want me to be their travel agent before they've given me their credit card are advised to review our website for all that info or call tourist info. I've no more patience for that kind of thing.
Otherwise, I want people to have a good opinion of my town, and us, and if I'm the one they've called or whose door they've knocked on, I do my best. A little girl scout am I.
Now let me go back to being crabby. Patient. Ha!

Thanks for your interest. For the comfort and safety of our registered guests, we aren't able to provide a tour. Honestly, the best way to find out all about us is to visit our website. It has lots of great tips on our area and some great pictures of the inside of the house.

I don't give tours for the sake of a tour. If someone wants to see a specific room before they book I'll do that because walk ins are a measurable part of my biz model.
We do get folks who are staying elsewhere wanting to know what our prices are. Maybe trying to find a better deal, which we mostly are.
If the price is too high for the lookie Lou I ask what they want to pay. Then I send them wherever accepts that amount for payment. It's a short list. No do overs.
The folks who want me to be their travel agent before they've given me their credit card are advised to review our website for all that info or call tourist info. I've no more patience for that kind of thing.
Otherwise, I want people to have a good opinion of my town, and us, and if I'm the one they've called or whose door they've knocked on, I do my best. A little girl scout am I.
Now let me go back to being crabby. Patient. Ha!.
Don't even have THAT much patience when they are at the door. Honestly, my guests are people who book ahead. I only get at the door when they are lookie-lous or when people are desperate. When you ask if you can see... I know you aren't my client... buhbye!
I had a Frenchman come to the door desperately looking for a place this week. I called a place that had a room and he asked the price... I was almost ready to kill him at that point. When you are at the point of driving around looking for a place in desperation... price shouldn't be a factor.
You have to be REALLY nice at my door to get me to bother to do anything. I send people to this other B&B when my price shocks them. I will check a few places if they look desperate and are extremely polite and pleasant at the door.

Don't even have THAT much patience when they are at the door. Honestly, my guests are people who book ahead. I only get at the door when they are lookie-lous or when people are desperate. When you ask if you can see... I know you aren't my client... buhbye!
I had a Frenchman come to the door desperately looking for a place this week. I called a place that had a room and he asked the price... I was almost ready to kill him at that point. When you are at the point of driving around looking for a place in desperation... price shouldn't be a factor.
You have to be REALLY nice at my door to get me to bother to do anything. I send people to this other B&B when my price shocks them. I will check a few places if they look desperate and are extremely polite and pleasant at the door.
We get that, too. 9pm, kids in tow, still asking how much. I'll call around for folks just so the other inns know I'm sending people because the guests don't think to mention it.
I've watched the guests go in the opposite direction after I've done that and gotten them the price. Then I call the other inn back and tell them to put their feet up again.
It's annoying to find them a lower price and watch them drive off. But, that's the guest's look out.
It's helpful for me to know that some places don't charge for any extra people. If a carful shows up here and gasps at the extra fees then I know where to send them.
But the lookie lous are generally only looking for price and will stay cheap and then go out for breakfast and never realize how much more they spent.

One of the most important thing to remember about your rates is that they self-regulate the type of guests you get. If your rates are high, but still a good value, you'll get good guests who appreciate the finer things for the most part. If you discount to the point that you're almost giving your rooms away, or start biting on "can you do a little better" you'll get the kind of guests you deserve -- those that don't appreciate anything.
I never, ever apologize for my rates. And I find my competitors that take my castoffs for a much cheaper price have a lot more horror stories to share than I do.

One of the most important thing to remember about your rates is that they self-regulate the type of guests you get. If your rates are high, but still a good value, you'll get good guests who appreciate the finer things for the most part. If you discount to the point that you're almost giving your rooms away, or start biting on "can you do a little better" you'll get the kind of guests you deserve -- those that don't appreciate anything.
I never, ever apologize for my rates. And I find my competitors that take my castoffs for a much cheaper price have a lot more horror stories to share than I do..
Maybe I've desensitized over the years but I find that inns with a price point $50-$100 higher than my prices have worse horrors than we do.
I think our horrors are guests who waited too long to book and they think they're 'stuck' with a B&B instead of the shiny hotel.
At least I don't feel the stories this year can compete with my friends.

We get that, too. 9pm, kids in tow, still asking how much. I'll call around for folks just so the other inns know I'm sending people because the guests don't think to mention it.
I've watched the guests go in the opposite direction after I've done that and gotten them the price. Then I call the other inn back and tell them to put their feet up again.
It's annoying to find them a lower price and watch them drive off. But, that's the guest's look out.
It's helpful for me to know that some places don't charge for any extra people. If a carful shows up here and gasps at the extra fees then I know where to send them.
But the lookie lous are generally only looking for price and will stay cheap and then go out for breakfast and never realize how much more they spent.
I get this drives me mad - we are on what I wall the front street of B&B's, this is the first area booked up for the conference center and people who want town center etc - so I will get people at the door and say "all along the front here is full but round the corner here have rooms" and they head off in the direction I've just said everyone is full - no loss to me.

I never, ever apologize for my rates. And I find my competitors that take my castoffs for a much cheaper price have a lot more horror stories to share than I do..
Ah! New avatar... of course to me it looks like a mouse is entering someone's head from the back :)

We get very few walk-ins, but of the ones we do probably 75% find us too expensive. DH tells them the price before they step over the threshold because he can't be ar**d with showing them around only to be told it's too much.
I will show them the room on the basis that once they've seen it they are more likely to pay our price. Then you get the "is that your best price", "who else will have vacancies".
Surely people must have some idea of the price before they knock, we have 4stargold advertised on the street and on the front door.
I'm sure I've recanted the story here before of the "gentleman" who when told the price said "oh, we can get a room in (local city) for £x" (less than half our price), to which I replied "well why don't you go back to (local city) and stop wasting my time". Patients was in short supply that day!!

I am so done with walk-ins....mostly Europeans who are in desperate need of a room during high season who are looking for a cheap place to lay their head. No more tours...ever. This year I permanently hung out the no vacancy sign which mostly worked at keeping the doorbell from ringing. I'll take the sign down now so passerbyes know we are still in business but are not likely to be looking for lodging.
This is a far cry from 20 years ago when we would drop everything to show curious lookers around. We did pick up a few guests from those tours but not enough to really matter.

I feel like a complete bigot, but I will give (brief) tours (usually just the common areas) to people who look like they will come back and stay. We have gotten a couple of new guests that way. There are many small over-store apartments, mobile homes, and small houses that owners rent out on the weekends. A lot of folks will stay in these because they can't find another place or they don't really know better.
One of our best guests who left us a stellar TA review was one of these. They were walking by (because we are located right on the town square) and asked if they could look around. I was in a social mood, so I said sure. They LOVED it, went and checked out of the other place, and stayed with us. If I remember right, they stayed an extra night. Great folks, I am sure they will return next season.
But I have judged books by their covers and not given tours. Sometimes it's more than just how they look but also how they smell.
cry_smile.gif

One buy came by and his BO hit me right as I opened the door. He started to walk in, but I blocked the door and stepped out to talk to him. Sorry, but we are full...forever.

I feel like a complete bigot, but I will give (brief) tours (usually just the common areas) to people who look like they will come back and stay. We have gotten a couple of new guests that way. There are many small over-store apartments, mobile homes, and small houses that owners rent out on the weekends. A lot of folks will stay in these because they can't find another place or they don't really know better.
One of our best guests who left us a stellar TA review was one of these. They were walking by (because we are located right on the town square) and asked if they could look around. I was in a social mood, so I said sure. They LOVED it, went and checked out of the other place, and stayed with us. If I remember right, they stayed an extra night. Great folks, I am sure they will return next season.
But I have judged books by their covers and not given tours. Sometimes it's more than just how they look but also how they smell.
cry_smile.gif

One buy came by and his BO hit me right as I opened the door. He started to walk in, but I blocked the door and stepped out to talk to him. Sorry, but we are full...forever..
You have to have the time and the house has to be clean. We seem to get a lot of 'just looking for the summer' doorbell ringers in January when the place is generally torn apart. Or in Feb when I'm still in my jammies at noon.

cry_smile.gif

One buy came by and his BO hit me right as I opened the door. He started to walk in, but I blocked the door and stepped out to talk to him. Sorry, but we are full...forever..
You have to have the time and the house has to be clean. We seem to get a lot of 'just looking for the summer' doorbell ringers in January when the place is generally torn apart. Or in Feb when I'm still in my jammies at noon.
We haven't had a winter as innkeepers just yet. We clean up the dining room pretty quick after the breakfast crowd departs, so at least the common areas are clean for any lookyloos.
But I can tell it is already wearing on Shelley's patience. We might start placing the "Out on errands" sign on the door the night before.

Back