Pay an inn for their referrals?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Do any of you know of anyone who pays another inn for their referrals? I am not talking about an Inn to Inn promotion.
I have found guests who stay here like to stay at another inn the night prior about 5 hrs from here, and I am thinking of contacting them and maybe sending some rack cards their way. There is no reason to refer to us really, I mean we don't even know each other, but I might like to do a you scratch my back I will scratch yours referral program involving cash.

I will refer for free. What I have found is that relatively few B&B's ever respond back with so much as a thank you. However, one did offer to trade nights with us. We haven't gone there yet, but they've been here.
I would definitely send some rack cards, tho, if you call them to book your guests in for the next night.

Not talking free referrals. There needs to be an incentive $. You stated the reason right there - why would this other inn care where the guests stayed the next night?
I am emailing them and if they want it to be reciprical, even better. What I WILL DO - If a guest books here I will attach their url on the confirmation as a recommended inn and also have a couple rack cards here from their place.
I do not know where guests are going or coming from when they are here. People typically book it all in advance. But I am finding quite a few from this one area coming to us typically from up there.

Not talking free referrals. There needs to be an incentive $. You stated the reason right there - why would this other inn care where the guests stayed the next night?
I am emailing them and if they want it to be reciprical, even better. What I WILL DO - If a guest books here I will attach their url on the confirmation as a recommended inn and also have a couple rack cards here from their place.
I do not know where guests are going or coming from when they are here. People typically book it all in advance. But I am finding quite a few from this one area coming to us typically from up there..
Well, if you have a target area, it can't hurt to contact B&B's there and see if they will reciprocate referral payments. If someone calls me from far away I usually ask if they have made all of their reservations yet. If not, I ask where they were planning to go and give them the names of places I know in that area and ask that they mention me if they book.
I just do it to be helpful. I've got a nice run of places I can refer the New England/Niagara Falls loop crowd to. Especially for B&B travelers, they like a referral! And now I have a lot more B&B's north of me to refer to!

Sorry, I believe in networking. I don't like $$ changing hands.

I rather Network too then doing $$$.
We only have 7 B&B's in our town and I honestly only refer to 2 other B&B's since the others are not refering to me either.
In Fairbanks thou, they do a 10% commission.
But how will you really know if the people you referred stayed at that place?
Like said before, you scratch my back I scratch yours.

I do not know where guests are going or coming from when they are here. People typically book it all in advance. But I am finding quite a few from this one area coming to us typically from up there..
Well, if you have a target area, it can't hurt to contact B&B's there and see if they will reciprocate referral payments. If someone calls me from far away I usually ask if they have made all of their reservations yet. If not, I ask where they were planning to go and give them the names of places I know in that area and ask that they mention me if they book.
I just do it to be helpful. I've got a nice run of places I can refer the New England/Niagara Falls loop crowd to. Especially for B&B travelers, they like a referral! And now I have a lot more B&B's north of me to refer to!
I've sent several guests to a B&B on the Cape. The owners were thrilled as it was their first year. They sent a really nice thank-you note. That was more than enough for me. But I would be happy to find other B&B's to refer guests to, especially in the New England area as that's where most of my guests a traveling to. Bree, I know you are in Maine somewhere. Perhaps we should chat.

We only have 7 B&B's in our town and I honestly only refer to 2 other B&B's since the others are not refering to me either.
Like said before, you scratch my back I scratch yours..
Mooseberry Inn said:
I am not referring to another B&B in our town, we are it! I am speaking of along a certain trail...

I had a call this morning from a lady who was here several years ago with her husband. She is making a pitch to their Goldwing Club to come here Labor Day weekend. She knows I only have space for 3 couples and was asking about other places. I gave her phone numbers for 4 others in the area. She wants me to send her a couple routings to pitch to the group for this. They will be in a car this time as he has had 2 strokes that have blinded him - but they want the group to come and them with it. I refer to other MABB members all the time.

Mooseberry Inn said:
I am not referring to another B&B in our town, we are it! I am speaking of along a certain trail...
Ah Yes, wo do refer people down the trail too, mainly places we've been and I know they are good or our state association members .

I've sent several guests to a B&B on the Cape. The owners were thrilled as it was their first year. They sent a really nice thank-you note. That was more than enough for me. But I would be happy to find other B&B's to refer guests to, especially in the New England area as that's where most of my guests a traveling to. Bree, I know you are in Maine somewhere. Perhaps we should chat.
Right! You mentioned MA before. Email me with your B&B info. (If you did that already, just shoot me, I'm old.)

Country Girl said:
Okay people! You are missing why I brought this up, I am trying to increase occupancy. I am not trying to be nice, I am not trying to refer to other B&B's that are 5 hours away just because. ha ha I am marketing here...
Yes you and Bree should chat. I refer to other inns on this forum all the time, so inns - send me your rack cards! Within conversation diff areas, diff things come up and I have referred to other inns quite often.

I had a call this morning from a lady who was here several years ago with her husband. She is making a pitch to their Goldwing Club to come here Labor Day weekend. She knows I only have space for 3 couples and was asking about other places. I gave her phone numbers for 4 others in the area. She wants me to send her a couple routings to pitch to the group for this. They will be in a car this time as he has had 2 strokes that have blinded him - but they want the group to come and them with it. I refer to other MABB members all the time..
gillumhouse said:
I had a call this morning from a lady who was here several years ago with her husband. She is making a pitch to their Goldwing Club to come here Labor Day weekend. She knows I only have space for 3 couples and was asking about other places. I gave her phone numbers for 4 others in the area. She wants me to send her a couple routings to pitch to the group for this. They will be in a car this time as he has had 2 strokes that have blinded him - but they want the group to come and them with it. I refer to other MABB members all the time.
again, NOT IN MY AREA 4 or 5 hours away depending on how they drive it.

I had a call this morning from a lady who was here several years ago with her husband. She is making a pitch to their Goldwing Club to come here Labor Day weekend. She knows I only have space for 3 couples and was asking about other places. I gave her phone numbers for 4 others in the area. She wants me to send her a couple routings to pitch to the group for this. They will be in a car this time as he has had 2 strokes that have blinded him - but they want the group to come and them with it. I refer to other MABB members all the time..
gillumhouse said:
OK, but how do you keep it honest? How do you know when to pay up and how much? If you are geting a lot of 1-nighters anyway, why not consider an inn-to-inn? Overnight, dinner coupon, and flowers & candy as a starter thought. If everyone does the same thing decide how much, add tax, and divide by 2. Starting inn takes the money and sends a check to the other one for their share is how we have worked it.

gillumhouse said:
OK, but how do you keep it honest? How do you know when to pay up and how much? If you are geting a lot of 1-nighters anyway, why not consider an inn-to-inn? Overnight, dinner coupon, and flowers & candy as a starter thought. If everyone does the same thing decide how much, add tax, and divide by 2. Starting inn takes the money and sends a check to the other one for their share is how we have worked it.
gillumhouse said:
Because I am already doing that. This is something different. A diff inn, this is not an add on package they can order that here any time. "I am so misunderstood..." boo hoo hoo
If this inn sent me a room I would send them a check. How to keep it honest? I AM HONEST. :)

I offer 15% to other B&Bs here. One took me up on it last year as I did a $6500 booking from it. It was a wedding group and they bought all 3 homes for a week with a bunch of add ons.
One sends referrels weekly, I always send Thank you cards, Last year I hand delivered 3 specialty cakes, Fresh Organic Flowers and a Beautiful Card, They thought it was too much and said The Thank you email was enuf!!
There are other B&Bs where I have sent tons of people, I know those guests have stayed there and I never got a Thank you card -(( One thing I do not like is people who can not Network or Persnicity (did I spell that right)? People.

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Because I am already doing that. This is something different. A diff inn, this is not an add on package they can order that here any time. "I am so misunderstood..." boo hoo hoo
If this inn sent me a room I would send them a check. How to keep it honest? I AM HONEST. :)
I KNOW you are honest. But how do you know they will not think they sent you 10 when only 2 came so you pay them for 2. Does the other inn KNOW you?
The only way I can think of that it would work is that the other inn calls you and makes the reservation for the guests so BOTH know the reservation came from them.

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
I KNOW you are honest. But how do you know they will not think they sent you 10 when only 2 came so you pay them for 2. Does the other inn KNOW you?
The only way I can think of that it would work is that the other inn calls you and makes the reservation for the guests so BOTH know the reservation came from them.
gillumhouse said:
I hear what you are saying. Like mentioned this place is not nearby, if a guest books and mentions them, then it is very easy to decipher. THey would not mention them otherwise. I won't be putting them on our website or anything.
One thing I know is guests like to tell me about another inn where they mentioned our place and the innkeepers will say "Oh you will love that B&B we have had guests stay there before blah blah blah" which of course makes my head swell. So typically if there is a referral or mention I hear about it.

I offer 15% to other B&Bs here. One took me up on it last year as I did a $6500 booking from it. It was a wedding group and they bought all 3 homes for a week with a bunch of add ons.
One sends referrels weekly, I always send Thank you cards, Last year I hand delivered 3 specialty cakes, Fresh Organic Flowers and a Beautiful Card, They thought it was too much and said The Thank you email was enuf!!
There are other B&Bs where I have sent tons of people, I know those guests have stayed there and I never got a Thank you card -(( One thing I do not like is people who can not Network or Persnicity (did I spell that right)? People..
josh said:
Awesome!
If someone offered me a bit ofpocket change to refer to them (and I like their place and them) I would do it 100%. There are some of icky places - sad to say - so to refer to a great place knowingly is important! In fact the same town this other B&B is located in has a B&B that guests tell me horror stories about and the TA reviews speak volumes.

Mooseberry Inn said:
Yes, I refer to people in my town, in my province, in other parts of Canada and they will do the same for me. I'm not going to charge for that!! I'm in the hospitality business and it runs on hospitality and networking. If someone offered to send me guests for a fee/commission/whatever I'd cross them off my list faster than you could blink!

Back