Pay in full discount

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Hotels are doing it. Are you?
It seems people are willing to prepay it in full in advance (at the time of booking) to save money and then have no cancellation ability. Have you ever considered this? When you book online on most hotel portals they give you this option.
Simple Example:
June 1, 2009 2 people Queen Bed with breakfast - regular rate $120+tax (7 day cancellation period)
June 1, 2009 2 people Queen Bed with breakfast - Internet discounted rate $110+tax (30 day cancellation period)
June 1, 2009 2 people Queen Bed with breakfast - Prepay rate $105+tax (no cancellation period)

I thought about that last year. I won't book a place, even for the lower price (and it's not THAT much lower is it?) with no cancellation. You just never know how things could change.
But, I think MY holdback is that it's not a big enough discount to book with no recourse. $15? Nope, no worth it. And I've seen that same sort of list on the Hilton site, and it's never more than that amount.

I agree with Bree....$15 just doesn't seem to be that big a deal. On the other hand, your online Internet Bookindg discount is nice since it's a per night discount.
I want things to be simple. I run the card when they check in. I don't have to keep track in the system of who paid how much when. I am subscribing to the theory of the year of simple innkeeping :)

No, I am not doing it. Just wondering with everyone calling who wants a better discount if anyone is doing this?
They are willing to pay do that to save a few bucks on those online agencies. It is not even worth running the card in full for us due to the fees! Even if you said, I will discount for check mailed in advance - it still leaves that gap in the booking and extra running around on our part.

No, I am not doing it. Just wondering with everyone calling who wants a better discount if anyone is doing this?
They are willing to pay do that to save a few bucks on those online agencies. It is not even worth running the card in full for us due to the fees! Even if you said, I will discount for check mailed in advance - it still leaves that gap in the booking and extra running around on our part..
Are folks here on the forum offering more or better discounts these days? I would be curious about that. I had a March special and have had a good number of room nights but April is looking good without me offering anyone else than what I normally do. Now, I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot for March!
You know, I'm still trying to figure out what the busiest times are, the most frequent places that guests are finding us, and so forth.

I will NEVER book a place with NO CANCELLATION. Too many things can go wrong in life and have..and I have had to cancel. They are NOT getting my money that easily. I would rather pay more.:)

They are willing to pay do that to save a few bucks on those online agencies. It is not even worth running the card in full for us due to the fees! Even if you said, I will discount for check mailed in advance - it still leaves that gap in the booking and extra running around on our part..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
They are willing to pay do that to save a few bucks on those online agencies. It is not even worth running the card in full for us due to the fees! Even if you said, I will discount for check mailed in advance - it still leaves that gap in the booking and extra running around on our part.
It IS an idea, tho. Not to advertise it, but to mention it on the phone for those wanting a bigger discount. 'We do have a "pay in advance, no refunds package" that you can book. And then knock off $15, instead of the $10 for booking online. (Or, knock off the same $10.) And explain it. "We run your card right now and there are no refunds for any reason." If they cancel, you're ahead by whatever. If they show up, it cost you an extra $8.

You know how I always say print advertising never works for us - well it has to work for many or it would not be everywhere. Same with tv ads that we think are pathetic and we ignore - look at that "snuggie" that sold millions.
So for this reason I think this book and pay in full must be working or they wouldn't be pushing it on every major lodging website.
Is it the impulsive American who falls for the ACT NOW AND SAVE!
I just did a search for the snuggie and found this:
TV PITCH AND IF YOU ACT NOW …
Those Pesky Infomercials: Goofy, But They Sell[/h1]

I think this may appeal to people who like to gamble ... or don't yet have many reasons in their life (that they can anticipate) that would cause them to cancel.
I have certain relatives that would take advantage of saving $15 per night. They are addicted to both risk and the idea of telling people they got a great deal.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
It IS an idea, tho. Not to advertise it, but to mention it on the phone for those wanting a bigger discount. 'We do have a "pay in advance, no refunds package" that you can book. And then knock off $15, instead of the $10 for booking online. (Or, knock off the same $10.) And explain it. "We run your card right now and there are no refunds for any reason." If they cancel, you're ahead by whatever. If they show up, it cost you an extra $8.
I was replying as a traveler..not an innkeeper:)
Yes, if it works for you. And you SPECIFICALLY TELL THEM...NO reading involved. I believe you will still have some irate folks. And then they do a CHARGEBACK! If they signed nothing..how do you enforce it with the credit card company?? Then you are out the money plus the fees for the chargeback :-(

You know how I always say print advertising never works for us - well it has to work for many or it would not be everywhere. Same with tv ads that we think are pathetic and we ignore - look at that "snuggie" that sold millions.
So for this reason I think this book and pay in full must be working or they wouldn't be pushing it on every major lodging website.
My mom got a little clock/thermometer from Quality Inns for being a '10 year customer'. She tells EVERYONE about that thing. They bought a walking, talking, 'sweet little old lady' infomercial for about $5 when they sent that thing to my mother. And my parents travel. And where do they stay? You betcha. And where do they tell everyone to stay? You betcha.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Yes, if it works for you. And you SPECIFICALLY TELL THEM...NO reading involved. I believe you will still have some irate folks. And then they do a CHARGEBACK! If they signed nothing..how do you enforce it with the credit card company?? Then you are out the money plus the fees for the chargeback :-(
catlady said:
It would have to be clearly stated in the confirmation. And it would be wise to get a reply email saying they agreed to the terms. For me, too much 'record-keeping' but it might be worth it to get those who like to book in advance and take a chance.

My mom got a little clock/thermometer from Quality Inns for being a '10 year customer'. She tells EVERYONE about that thing. They bought a walking, talking, 'sweet little old lady' infomercial for about $5 when they sent that thing to my mother. And my parents travel. And where do they stay? You betcha. And where do they tell everyone to stay? You betcha.
See that's a little "added value" for being a loyal customer and those things are CHEAP!! I just got one for renewing my subscription with Conde Nast Traveler. Too funny....

What I am wondering is if the this type of discount has a date of cut off. Not sure if I am explaining it correctly...What I mean is that this 'no cancellation discount' is only good if they book 60 or 90 days prior to their stay. Would the discount option be there on reservations made 30 days or 1 week prior to stay?
I have not considered this type of discount and do not really think it would go over too well in general for that little bit of savings unless not booking far in advance. I have had plenty of takers on our group discount rate...where they must book 3 or more nights, 3 or more rooms and receive an 18% discount. This must be held and paid with one CC. One night's deposit @ reg. rate is taken at time of booking, balance is due 30 days prior to arrival. No cancellations or reductions in stay/rooms can be made once balance is taken. The last 3 of the 5 weekends in May are full with groups on this package, which usually is the beginning of our slower period.

What I am wondering is if the this type of discount has a date of cut off. Not sure if I am explaining it correctly...What I mean is that this 'no cancellation discount' is only good if they book 60 or 90 days prior to their stay. Would the discount option be there on reservations made 30 days or 1 week prior to stay?
I have not considered this type of discount and do not really think it would go over too well in general for that little bit of savings unless not booking far in advance. I have had plenty of takers on our group discount rate...where they must book 3 or more nights, 3 or more rooms and receive an 18% discount. This must be held and paid with one CC. One night's deposit @ reg. rate is taken at time of booking, balance is due 30 days prior to arrival. No cancellations or reductions in stay/rooms can be made once balance is taken. The last 3 of the 5 weekends in May are full with groups on this package, which usually is the beginning of our slower period..
Copperhead said:
I have not considered this type of discount and do not really think it would go over too well in general for that little bit of savings unless not booking far in advance. I have had plenty of takers on our group discount rate...where they must book 3 or more nights, 3 or more rooms and receive an 18% discount. This must be held and paid with one CC. One night's deposit @ reg. rate is taken at time of booking, balance is due 30 days prior to arrival. No cancellations or reductions in stay/rooms can be made once balance is taken. The last 3 of the 5 weekends in May are full with groups on this package, which usually is the beginning of our slower period.
My example was probably not a good one, the discount would have to be good enought to entice them. I think it is offered typically any time to book online and get that "non-refundable room rate" like the airlines offer.
There, that is a better example-how many of us book the nonrefundable $248+tax vs $599+tax? For me that would be 100% of the time. I always book the lowest rate and write it off if I have to cancel - which I have done.

I agree with Bree....$15 just doesn't seem to be that big a deal. On the other hand, your online Internet Bookindg discount is nice since it's a per night discount.
I want things to be simple. I run the card when they check in. I don't have to keep track in the system of who paid how much when. I am subscribing to the theory of the year of simple innkeeping :).
If you wait to run the card until the day of arrival you risk having a no-show and a declined card. I always waited until the day of check-in to run the credit card but last year I had someone book for 5 days, months in advance, and on the day of arrival, never showed. You guessed it, her credit card was declined. Since then I always take a 50% deposit when they book. It is a bit more bookkeeping but worth it.

Almost all of my guests are coming here for a reason and usually have airplane tickets in hand. I make a reservation on full payment with a credit card. I only give a multi day discount and week discount.
If someone doesn't have their plans down, I give them the information but aske them to call me back when they are sure because I don't want to charge their credit card unless they are sure. It has worked out well for me.
If someone wants to pay by check, I tell them I will hold the room 1 week for them to get a check to me but after that it is available if I have not gotten a check. And I will only do this if it is a ways out. I had someone do this last thanksgiving. They sent a check ahead of time and were here a week. But it doesn't happen often. Sometimes locals renting for family will give me a check if they are paying for the stay, but this isn't very common either.

I want things to be simple. I run the card when they check in. I don't have to keep track in the system of who paid how much when. I am subscribing to the theory of the year of simple innkeeping :).
If you wait to run the card until the day of arrival you risk having a no-show and a declined card. I always waited until the day of check-in to run the credit card but last year I had someone book for 5 days, months in advance, and on the day of arrival, never showed. You guessed it, her credit card was declined. Since then I always take a 50% deposit when they book. It is a bit more bookkeeping but worth it.
Knock wood...I have not had that happen, either a no show or a bad card. On the plus side, I've had people secure a reservation with a credit card and then pay for their stay with cash. Yippee!

Knock wood...I have not had that happen, either a no show or a bad card. On the plus side, I've had people secure a reservation with a credit card and then pay for their stay with cash. Yippee!
I had a Stash Tea BOGO that left this morning. They did not bring their checkbook so they told me to add $10 to the bill to cover the cc fees. I told them that was not necessary but they insisted. They were first timers!
Now I just have to figure out what is wired wrong. Ever since I connected to the high-speed, the only way I can use the cc machine is to undo the computer AND the phone at the wall and mainline the cc machine. Otherwise it tells me the line is busy. And yes, I have filters at each connection - put one at the CC connection this morning before I started the transaction. Mainline is all that works.

I have not considered this type of discount and do not really think it would go over too well in general for that little bit of savings unless not booking far in advance. I have had plenty of takers on our group discount rate...where they must book 3 or more nights, 3 or more rooms and receive an 18% discount. This must be held and paid with one CC. One night's deposit @ reg. rate is taken at time of booking, balance is due 30 days prior to arrival. No cancellations or reductions in stay/rooms can be made once balance is taken. The last 3 of the 5 weekends in May are full with groups on this package, which usually is the beginning of our slower period..
Copperhead said:
My example was probably not a good one, the discount would have to be good enought to entice them. I think it is offered typically any time to book online and get that "non-refundable room rate" like the airlines offer.
There, that is a better example-how many of us book the nonrefundable $248+tax vs $599+tax? For me that would be 100% of the time. I always book the lowest rate and write it off if I have to cancel - which I have done.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Copperhead said:
I have not considered this type of discount and do not really think it would go over too well in general for that little bit of savings unless not booking far in advance. ...
This is a very good example JBJ, and one most people do take advantage of. It usually is a hefty discount too. The one big advantage the hotels (& airlines) have are the numbers of sales which they hike up to make up the difference. And it is unlikely that guests at those hotels (and passengers waiting for their flight) are going to ask others what they paid even though we all know there are these 'games' with prices. But at B&B's guests socialize and who knows what will be discussed.

Back