Pay per view

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We just got the satellite TV hooked up on Thursday. We were misinformed about PPV. Luckily, a guest gave me $5 this morning to pay for the movie they watched last night. So now we know that PPV is live, works, and is being charged to our account. We were told the box had to be hooked to a telephone line in order for PPV to work, so we didn't hook the box to the phones. Wrong. PPV works regardless.

Hmmm that is weird. I too thought we had to be hooked to the phone line....hmmmm how does that work???? Do you have a TIVO???

yes, as i mentioned in your other thread, but you probably missed it ... we programmed the tv so that guests could not order movies ... it's all done with the remote control. i say 'we' but it was my son who had to figure out the programming to block pay movies and also adult stations. i was familiar with the ability of ordering movies and sporting events or watching adult channels when i stayed at a friend's who has satellite and i was scrolling through the channels

You can take out any channels you want, just don't prgrm them in. I have a few channels blocked in all the rooms per individual tv. I have plenty blocked on our tv as well, MTV, Comedy Channel and some that have midday M or R rating progrms.

I don't know why they say you have to be connected to a phone line. As long as we've had satellite TV (10 years?), they've told us that, but then hook it up without the phone line, and everything works.
Now, you need to figure out the parental locks, and block the PPV channels. You can unlock those channels on a case-by-case basis, but you'd have to determine from your own setup if you can unlock only a single receiver, or if the whole house is simultaneously unlocked.

I don't know why they say you have to be connected to a phone line. As long as we've had satellite TV (10 years?), they've told us that, but then hook it up without the phone line, and everything works.
Now, you need to figure out the parental locks, and block the PPV channels. You can unlock those channels on a case-by-case basis, but you'd have to determine from your own setup if you can unlock only a single receiver, or if the whole house is simultaneously unlocked..
IronGate said:
Now, you need to figure out the parental locks, and block the PPV channels. You can unlock those channels on a case-by-case basis, but you'd have to determine from your own setup if you can unlock only a single receiver, or if the whole house is simultaneously unlocked.
Bree can correct me, but I thought there was only ONE guest tv? So it shouldn't be too much hassle. But if you have KID guests which she does, then I would be blocking quite a bit.

Now, you need to figure out the parental locks, and block the PPV channels. You can unlock those channels on a case-by-case basis, but you'd have to determine from your own setup if you can unlock only a single receiver, or if the whole house is simultaneously unlocked..
IronGate said:
Oh, they are locked NOW, believe me! But we still have no idea if anyone else watched movies or 'events' without telling us. Luckily, we learned early on that it works without the phone line. Sorry I missed that in SS's previous post! Because the one TV is right in the living room and I don't want to be hearing 'F-this and F-that' when I go thru, I've blocked everything but PG-13 (which is bad enough to this old lady). I will allow R in the guest room, but not in public areas.
I feel like an idiot, tho. I was so surprised that it worked that I took the $5, didn't give them change, nothing but, 'Thanks for telling us.'
I'm going to mail the money back with a card for $10 off their next stay and thank them again for telling us. We could have had a bill for 100's of dollars by next month and not even know it was happening.

IronGate said:
Bree can correct me, but I thought there was only ONE guest tv? So it shouldn't be too much hassle. But if you have KID guests which she does, then I would be blocking quite a bit.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
IronGate said:
You might be right. I thought she added more receivers with the switch to satellite. I'm too lazy right now to go find the other thread to find out.
embaressed_smile.gif

IronGate said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
IronGate said:
One in the guest room, one in the living room. I thought about offering free PPV (up to $10/view) in that one room, but I could see how an irate guest could use up their entire bill just by continuously clicking on new movies.

IronGate said:
Oh, they are locked NOW, believe me! But we still have no idea if anyone else watched movies or 'events' without telling us. Luckily, we learned early on that it works without the phone line. Sorry I missed that in SS's previous post! Because the one TV is right in the living room and I don't want to be hearing 'F-this and F-that' when I go thru, I've blocked everything but PG-13 (which is bad enough to this old lady). I will allow R in the guest room, but not in public areas.
I feel like an idiot, tho. I was so surprised that it worked that I took the $5, didn't give them change, nothing but, 'Thanks for telling us.'
I'm going to mail the money back with a card for $10 off their next stay and thank them again for telling us. We could have had a bill for 100's of dollars by next month and not even know it was happening.
Bree said:
IronGate said:
In that case I would make it known to the provider that there is to be NO PPV's allowed. Unless you plan on watching them?

IronGate said:
Bree said:
IronGate said:
I wonder how many people would have thought to tell you they ordered a movie, or just presumed it was all part of the service.
Can you go online now and check your account with the provider to see if any other PPV programs were ordered? I'm pretty sure we can get real-time information on my DirectTV account like that.

IronGate said:
Bree said:
IronGate said:
In that case I would make it known to the provider that there is to be NO PPV's allowed. Unless you plan on watching them?
Can we turn that off completely at the source?

I think the receiver is just like a little computer and it actually does all the programming through the sat. I go on line to Direct TV and program in show I forgot to record at home. It's a neat feature.

I think the receiver is just like a little computer and it actually does all the programming through the sat. I go on line to Direct TV and program in show I forgot to record at home. It's a neat feature.
I guess I have to know our account number and find out what all can be done remotely. Thx.

This, among many other reasons, is why DW and I opted NOT to put TVs in the rooms. Granted, the concept of no TV fits better with the rustic, woodsy theme of our place than it would in a more urban setting, but having it would create just way too many hassles. Even so, the cabins are pre-wired for satellite just in case that changes.
This Spring, we are going to build a third cabin that will serve as a common room for guests. That will have a big screen TV that won't have to be filtered for content (We're Adults only) but will be blocked for PPV channels. However, I will consider unblocking channels by pre-arrangement for certain sporting events etc. I will consider adding an upcharge for the service.
I guess the balance would be to provide the amenity for your guests without it being another thing to have to monitor.

This, among many other reasons, is why DW and I opted NOT to put TVs in the rooms. Granted, the concept of no TV fits better with the rustic, woodsy theme of our place than it would in a more urban setting, but having it would create just way too many hassles. Even so, the cabins are pre-wired for satellite just in case that changes.
This Spring, we are going to build a third cabin that will serve as a common room for guests. That will have a big screen TV that won't have to be filtered for content (We're Adults only) but will be blocked for PPV channels. However, I will consider unblocking channels by pre-arrangement for certain sporting events etc. I will consider adding an upcharge for the service.
I guess the balance would be to provide the amenity for your guests without it being another thing to have to monitor..
We've already had guests fiddling with the box. Something we didn't have to worry about with the cable. They said they had sound and no picture and a message that told them to enter their access code. Now, I thought that meant they tried to get a movie, but they had no picture on any channel.

I guess the balance would be to provide the amenity for your guests without it being another thing to have to monitor..
We've already had guests fiddling with the box. Something we didn't have to worry about with the cable. They said they had sound and no picture and a message that told them to enter their access code. Now, I thought that meant they tried to get a movie, but they had no picture on any channel.
This is why we have digital cable in our area only. All the guest rooms have expanded basic with HBO & Showtime (no boxes). The cable guys were able to do that for us. Trust me, there are plenty of channels to choose from!

Wow I'm glad you mentioned this - our guest tvs only have our regular three channels but the tv is on the satelite in the library. I'll have to check with Chris about this. Nobody has ordered any payTV yet - we have movies in the library they can take and play in their rooms on their tvs.
Riki

Back