PCI Compliance and Online Reservations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Bob, we're using Reservation_Key and John at RezKey said we'd need to pay an extra $25/month to get the Authorize.net "CIM"...Customer Registration Manager. Here's what the Authorize.net website says about the CIM:
The Authorize.Net Customer Information Manager (CIM) allows you to store customers' sensitive payment information on our secure servers, simplifying your compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) as well as the payments process for returning customers and recurring transactions.
So, the data is secured by Authorize.Net, not RezKey. To collect payments later, after the reservation is made, you click to do it in RezKey and RezKey tells Authorize.Net (where the full CC number is stored) to charge the card and put the money in our account.
Click the link below for more CIM info from Authorize.net
John at RezKey says he's in negotiations to get other, cheaper solutions that meet the requirements without the higher cost of the Authorize.Net solution.
http://www.authorize.net/solutions/merchantsolutions/merchantservices/cim/.
Arkansawyer said:
Like Bob, we're using Reservation_Key and John at RezKey said we'd need to pay an extra $25/month to get the Authorize.net "CIM"...Customer Registration Manager. Here's what the Authorize.net website says about the CIM:
The Authorize.Net Customer Information Manager (CIM) allows you to store customers' sensitive payment information on our secure servers, simplifying your compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) as well as the payments process for returning customers and recurring transactions.
So, the data is secured by Authorize.Net, not RezKey. To collect payments later, after the reservation is made, you click to do it in RezKey and RezKey tells Authorize.Net (where the full CC number is stored) to charge the card and put the money in our account.
John at RezKey says he's in negotiations to get other, cheaper solutions that meet the requirements without the higher cost of the Authorize.Net solution.
http://www.authorize.net/solutions/merchantsolutions/merchantservices/cim/
there you go - another monthly bill. I was wondering what the charge for Authorize.net would be. I'm going over the edge and am considering seriously asking for deposit by means of check. I may be able to pull this off because I'm in a destination location and they want the wine tours. They already send checks for the wine tours outside my B&B that I pick up at. Of course if I get a no show I may have a problem.
RIki
egoodell said:
there you go - another monthly bill. I was wondering what the charge for Authorize.net would be. I'm going over the edge and am considering seriously asking for deposit by means of check. I may be able to pull this off because I'm in a destination location and they want the wine tours. They already send checks for the wine tours outside my B&B that I pick up at. Of course if I get a no show I may have a problem.
RIki
Am I the only one who is seeing the irony on going back to taking checks?? I realize that you may have never taken checks as deposit, but the Inn I worked for took them as the deposits for YEARS. And Years. Just seems like the more we think we are moving forward, the more we are actually moving backwards....

Arkansawyer said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Am I the only one who is seeing the irony on going back to taking checks?? I realize that you may have never taken checks as deposit, but the Inn I worked for took them as the deposits for YEARS. And Years. Just seems like the more we think we are moving forward, the more we are actually moving backwards....
Penelope said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Requiring checks for deposit will lose me customers, that is the only problem. That's why I have not gone to doing it for deposits. But I just might try. But many don't write them anymore - I have not in quite a while. Many will not take the time or effort to write it and mail it.
RIki

Arkansawyer said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Penelope said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Requiring checks for deposit will lose me customers, that is the only problem. That's why I have not gone to doing it for deposits. But I just might try. But many don't write them anymore - I have not in quite a while. Many will not take the time or effort to write it and mail it.
RIki
egoodell said:
Penelope said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki

So, technically, the reservation isn't even complete until you not only receive the check, but deposit it AND it clears....I am not asking this to be a smart-alek, but what if it doesn't clear? And the reservation date is this close (picture me putting my finger and thumb very close together) ? How would you go about filling that room 7 days away if it takes, realistically, 10, for you to get the check and have the funds clear?

Arkansawyer said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Penelope said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki
egoodell said:
Penelope said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki

So, technically, the reservation isn't even complete until you not only receive the check, but deposit it AND it clears....I am not asking this to be a smart-alek, but what if it doesn't clear? And the reservation date is this close (picture me putting my finger and thumb very close together) ? How would you go about filling that room 7 days away if it takes, realistically, 10, for you to get the check and have the funds clear?
Penelope said:
egoodell said:
Penelope said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki

We use check deposits for the tours and have not had any problems. We require the check in advance so it is deposited and cleared out enough that it would not matter. If it bounced we would not confirm the tour.
But, it is no different to me than the person who cancelled at the last minute and cancelled their credit card so we could not charge them.
Plus, most people who book to stay at an inn that costs $250-$275 a night don't want a bounced check on their bank records.
Some inns here have been running on check deposits for years with far fewer problems than when they switched to cc deposits. And some required the FULL payment by check in advance.
We don't usually take last minute bookings anyway as the weekend bookings include the wine tours which require shopping for fresh cheese and fruit. I only take them right now during the slow season until March.
RIki

Back