Pear Walnut Spice Cake

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanctuary

Reaction score
I've had this can of pears in my pantry. I bought 2 cans of pear halves for a recipe and I only used one. I wasn't so hot on the dessert I made with them, and took it out of my cookbook, but I've had this can left over for a while and wanted to get rid of it since I don't like pears just to eat them alone.
So, I started searching through Food Newtork's website for something I could make with pears and came across a recipe for Pear Walnut Spice Cake. Sometimes I take my favorite cake recipes and make them into muffins for breakfast service. Of course, I thought of all of you while I was baking these. WOW...it smells like Christmas in here.
I just went upstairs on the flybridge to cover the gas grill since it's about to storm, and I forgot that my oven vents out the side of the upper helm on the flybridge. It smells like Christmas (spices!) all over the place outside. :D I had a taste while they are still warm and they are delicious! I still have the maple glaze to drizzle over them when they are cooled. I'll post the recipe shortly in the Recipe department. It's also on the Food Network website. These muffins are keepers.

I know you were busy with a hurrincane and all :), but I am wondering if you ever got the chance to post that recipe? It sounds wonderful. With all the pears ready to fall here, it would be a great Fall recipe.
Thanks!:)

I know you were busy with a hurrincane and all :), but I am wondering if you ever got the chance to post that recipe? It sounds wonderful. With all the pears ready to fall here, it would be a great Fall recipe.
Thanks!:).
Oops...I think I forgot.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
I'll get it done - don't have it with me right now or I'd do it NOW. Sorry.

I tried to add this receipe. First, when I completed all of the fundamental information and went to input the ingredients, the whole page disappeared, so I started over only to find out that the "recipe" program here doesn't have a unit called "Cup". I didn't want to start calculating how many tens of tablespoons that would be, and didn't know the weight of a cup of raisins, for example, so it didn't get loaded. Here it is, though. If you're making cake, then follow this recipe below.
If you're making muffins, this will make about 18 full cup muffins. Also, if you're making muffins, use the muffing making technique rather than the cake making technique. For muffins, mix all of the wet ingredients (don't beat them to death like you would for a cake; and remember, sugar is a "wet" ingredient) in one bowl, all of the dry in another. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients bowl and stir about 10 times. Don't over mix muffin batter! It will be a little lumpy and that's OK. Stir in the pears and nuts. For muffins, bake at about 375 degrees for about 25 minutes.
Cake:
1 cup raisins (dark or golden)
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves and ground allspice
2 cups peeled pear chunks (from about 3 pears)
1 cup chopped walnuts
Glaze:
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the raisins in a bowl and toss them with 2 tablespoons of the flour until lightly coated (this will prevent them from sinking in the cake batter during baking).
To make the cake: Beat the eggs and sugar in a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer) until fluffy. With the mixer running, slowly pour in the vanilla and the oil. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Mix into the egg mixture. Mix in the pears and nuts, then stir in the raisins by hand, distributing them evenly in the batter. Spoon into a 10-inch tube pan and bake about 45 to 60 minutes, until springy and dry in the center. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack, then turn it out. Freeze until ready to use or just wrap and store for up to 2 days.
To make the glaze: Stir the maple syrup and sugar together in a bowl. Glaze the cooled cake by spooning the glaze around the tops of the cakes and letting it drip down the sides.

I tried to add this receipe. First, when I completed all of the fundamental information and went to input the ingredients, the whole page disappeared, so I started over only to find out that the "recipe" program here doesn't have a unit called "Cup". I didn't want to start calculating how many tens of tablespoons that would be, and didn't know the weight of a cup of raisins, for example, so it didn't get loaded. Here it is, though. If you're making cake, then follow this recipe below.
If you're making muffins, this will make about 18 full cup muffins. Also, if you're making muffins, use the muffing making technique rather than the cake making technique. For muffins, mix all of the wet ingredients (don't beat them to death like you would for a cake; and remember, sugar is a "wet" ingredient) in one bowl, all of the dry in another. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients bowl and stir about 10 times. Don't over mix muffin batter! It will be a little lumpy and that's OK. Stir in the pears and nuts. For muffins, bake at about 375 degrees for about 25 minutes.
Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts
Glaze:
1/2 cup maple syrup
Place the raisins in a bowl and toss them with 2 tablespoons of the flour until lightly coated (this will prevent them from sinking in the cake batter during baking).
To make the cake: Beat the eggs and sugar in a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer) until fluffy. With the mixer running, slowly pour in the vanilla and the oil. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Mix into the egg mixture. Mix in the pears and nuts, then stir in the raisins by hand, distributing them evenly in the batter. Spoon into a 10-inch tube pan and bake about 45 to 60 minutes, until springy and dry in the center. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack, then turn it out. Freeze until ready to use or just wrap and store for up to 2 days.
To make the glaze: Stir the maple syrup and sugar together in a bowl. Glaze the cooled cake by spooning the glaze around the tops of the cakes and letting it drip down the sides..
I am already drooling thinking about these...thanks so much.
BTW, are you in the line of sight for Gustav?

Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts
Glaze:
1/2 cup maple syrup
To make the glaze: Stir the maple syrup and sugar together in a bowl. Glaze the cooled cake by spooning the glaze around the tops of the cakes and letting it drip down the sides..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
... so I started over only to find out that the "recipe" program here doesn't have a unit called "Cup". ...
Yes it does:
cup.gif

Just remember not to preview a recipe, just save it. There is still a glitch that I haven't fixed yet that removes the quanitities if you preview it. :(

I am excited about trying this. It's almost pear time around here...just a few more weeks.

Swirt...that was not there!! I even tried typing the whole word, c-u-p and it wouldn't accept it. It would let me select "clove", though. Don't know what to tell you....but the two times I tried, "cup" was not on the list. The list of options was quite short too. I suspect gremlins.
Emspiers, it does not appear I'm in the path of Gustav anymore, thank God!!!! That was really dodging the bullet. But, here comes another - Hanna. All eyes around here are on Hanna. Hanna is on the same path as Andrew. Andrew didn't fire up until he went over the shallow waters of the Bahamas which are quite warm due to the lack of depth. Hanna is expected to do the same. It will be about a 5 days before we have a real good handle on this one. Meanwhile, the marina is installing more pilings back in the hurricane hole. This is turning out to be a VERY active season and it's exhausting already.

Swirt...that was not there!! I even tried typing the whole word, c-u-p and it wouldn't accept it. It would let me select "clove", though. Don't know what to tell you....but the two times I tried, "cup" was not on the list. The list of options was quite short too. I suspect gremlins.
Emspiers, it does not appear I'm in the path of Gustav anymore, thank God!!!! That was really dodging the bullet. But, here comes another - Hanna. All eyes around here are on Hanna. Hanna is on the same path as Andrew. Andrew didn't fire up until he went over the shallow waters of the Bahamas which are quite warm due to the lack of depth. Hanna is expected to do the same. It will be about a 5 days before we have a real good handle on this one. Meanwhile, the marina is installing more pilings back in the hurricane hole. This is turning out to be a VERY active season and it's exhausting already..
Could be gremlins. I can't think of any better explanation to justify it. ;)
Just for laughs, if you have a second, can you go act like you are creating a new recipe and see if cups is in the list for you now? You don't need to actually post it, just see if the list is showing up correctly.

Back