People and groups who don't book for themselves!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
This is one of my constant bug bears!!! if you have a special need of any kind you should make any and all reservations for accommodation yourself. Had a group checking in 6 rooms every single one of them has a special need but when the girl booking them in rang I asked did anyone have a special requirement - Nope she said they are all fine.
Room 1 - registered disabled this is first floor and he could barely make it (ie 1 flight of stairs)
Room 2 - 1 of the men has a heart condition
Room 8 - Sleeps with a breathing machine and has a bad ledg.
Room 9 - bad knee as has just had it replaced.
room 10 - Registered disabled walks very badly
room 12 - the wife is on crutches.
So as you can see I do not exagerate! trouble is they are all a bit grumpy as they are Buffalos and their HQ which is in Harrogate has accommodation in which they were supposed to be staying but were booked out and told we are only a short walk away. We arn't we are a good 20 minute walk. there are 2 B&Bs virtually accross the road from their HQ and I know for a fact one has rooms tonight.
My point is why do these people with special needs let anyone book on their behalf? or book online. Had a couple stay yesterday who said oh we stay regularly in York and they always put us in the rafters. Did you tell them you would prefer to be lower down? no? well they will assume you like that room and will continue to put you in there especially if you have stayed 2 or 3 times in it without comment!
I would never trust my accommodation booking even to my DH never mind a stranger why do people do this?????

This is the same for us. I am always uncomfortable when a reservation is done through a third party. There are so much more chances of problems.

Camberley the reason they DON'T book on their own is generally because they DO have special needs, many are older, don't have access to internet and many in their day just popped in to their local travel agent who handled all their arrangements.
I know it's frustrating for you but that's generally the reason, and more so in the UK/Europe than here, where TA's are still on the High Street and both TA's and TO's often have contracted rates (or may have with some of the properties they are booking a multi stop tour with) so they just do all the bookings for the whole group
On the other hand - in parties traveling together there is often the one person who says "let me do the travel arrangements" and often forgets about those special needs.
In fact let's all remember that as we all get older technology may very well bypass us as we head into our "older years" and we too one day may be doing exactly the same thing
Just remember they are not doing it to intentionally annoy you ..... although I know it does .....

Camberley the reason they DON'T book on their own is generally because they DO have special needs, many are older, don't have access to internet and many in their day just popped in to their local travel agent who handled all their arrangements.
I know it's frustrating for you but that's generally the reason, and more so in the UK/Europe than here, where TA's are still on the High Street and both TA's and TO's often have contracted rates (or may have with some of the properties they are booking a multi stop tour with) so they just do all the bookings for the whole group
On the other hand - in parties traveling together there is often the one person who says "let me do the travel arrangements" and often forgets about those special needs.
In fact let's all remember that as we all get older technology may very well bypass us as we head into our "older years" and we too one day may be doing exactly the same thing
Just remember they are not doing it to intentionally annoy you ..... although I know it does ......
out of the 6 rooms 5 had looked at us before comming on the internet so that isn't the problem. I know full well it was a case of the buffalo people said don't worry we will organise it for you and then gave the brand new secretary who didn't know any of these people the job of sorting it out which to my mind is madness.
In the uk if you have just say an over night stay no travel agent will organise that for you frankly they would laugh in your face they only deal with foreign holidays. If you were older and had no internet you would probably ring the local toursit office and the would send you a harrogate (or wherever) brochure with things to do an accommodation. But that is something I am having a problem with as they are crap. Randomly bumped into a chap on the street this week who was asking me for directions who had asked for help booking somewhere and they practically laughed in their face so they were going to travel on to the next town! If I hadn't spoken to them they would have done. I am super cross about this.

Back