people are killing me this week

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

four at four forty four

Reaction score
i'm not going to even going into all my frustrations this week, but i do need to vent about this one.
I just got back from the grocery store. (Note that two of my rooms are in a carriage house, a couple feet behind the main house/building and have their own seperate entrances.) i noticed to things sitting outside on the window. it looked to be cleaning products and i immediately thought i must have left them there. Feeling like an idiot i went to grab them and i noticed it was the pump soap, the bathroom air freshener spray along with the bar soap from the room.
odd, right? i assume the guests have allergies of some sort and needed these items out of their room? fine. But ... the temperatures around here are in the teens. Obviously both of these products would freeze and the air freshener spray i would assume could explode.
then i noticed their was something inbetween the screen door and main door to the other room. i looked and it was a drawer from my antique dresser from these guest's room. there was a little lavender sachet in the drawer and they must have needed to remove that as well. so basically my antique door is sitting outside. snow on the ground. dirt on the ground. freezing temperatures.
the guests have a key to their room and the main house. they could have easily put these items in the house or called. right? or am i the crazy one?
so what do i say to these guests? i'd like to quote full house and say 'how rude!!' but i think that would go over like a lead balloon. advice?
good grief... i'm so happy i have no guests tomorrow night. i need some peace. i haven't had an empty house since november.
thanks!
-michael

Ask what's up?
Then suggest that they could have contacted you to remove those items or to ask where they should put them

Ask what's up?
Then suggest that they could have contacted you to remove those items or to ask where they should put them.
yeah... i'm sure they'll bring it up. they just checked in ... and they leave tomorrow morning.
for lack of better wording it just 'pisses me off.' ..... venting.....

IF you want to bring it up in the morning (first consider what the purpose in that is), I would approach them when they are alone and ask if there was a problem in their room as you found several items outside the building and you were concerned about them, the guests, not the items.
If they say the scents were too strong and had to be removed, you could suggest they let the innkeeper know when they are reserving a room that scents bother them so the innkeeper can remove those items that are scented. Say you have unscented soaps and shampoos that could have been put in the room for them. (Then keep a couple of bars of Ivory and sample size unscented shampoos in a desk somewhere.)
I can see why they removed the whole drawer but not why they left it between the 2 outside doors. What were they planning on doing when they went in and out?

Ask what's up?
Then suggest that they could have contacted you to remove those items or to ask where they should put them.
yeah... i'm sure they'll bring it up. they just checked in ... and they leave tomorrow morning.
Given the laundry list of items I have been told must be removed from the room and what cleaners I may not use prior to the guests' arrival, I'm surprised you didn't get an earful before they made the reservation.
And I'll pop in a complaint here of my own- guests have been running the exhaust fan in the guest room next to my own room for approximately 6 hours/day since yesterday. Last night it ran for 2 solid hours even though it turns off every 15 minutes. They just turn it back on! The fan makes an awful vibrating noise in my space (cannot hear it in the guest room) and it goes on incessantly. As soon as it turns off, they turn it back on. If the bathroom 'smells' they could easily open a window for 5 minutes!

Ask what's up?
Given the laundry list of items I have been told must be removed from the room and what cleaners I may not use prior to the guests' arrival, I'm surprised you didn't get an earful before they made the reservation.
And I'll pop in a complaint here of my own- guests have been running the exhaust fan in the guest room next to my own room for approximately 6 hours/day since yesterday. Last night it ran for 2 solid hours even though it turns off every 15 minutes. They just turn it back on! The fan makes an awful vibrating noise in my space (cannot hear it in the guest room) and it goes on incessantly. As soon as it turns off, they turn it back on. If the bathroom 'smells' they could easily open a window for 5 minutes!
Alibi Ike said:
Going for "white noise"??

pita.gif

If they had been there when I found the items, I definitely would have talked with them about it. But now, after it's over and done with, I think I would forget it. They'll be out of there tomorrow. It will only make them feel bad and they'll leave with a bad taste in their mouth. Youll probably never see them again.

Ask what's up?
Alibi Ike said:
This is a big peeve of mine. I'm noticing it more and more too! A guest had a bathroom fan running for two days straight and I just about went insane. I can hear it in my bed room. It is for the "white noise" effect. One room I just had to disconnect the fan because it was vibrating another rooms bed upstairs and I had complaints about it. I am tempted to get some white noise machines for all the rooms to maybe help deter this.

Ask what's up?
Alibi Ike said:
This is a big peeve of mine. I'm noticing it more and more too! A guest had a bathroom fan running for two days straight and I just about went insane. I can hear it in my bed room. It is for the "white noise" effect. One room I just had to disconnect the fan because it was vibrating another rooms bed upstairs and I had complaints about it. I am tempted to get some white noise machines for all the rooms to maybe help deter this.
Nandor said:
I am tempted to get some white noise machines for all the rooms to maybe help deter this.
We have the tower oscillating fans in each room, and the CD player has both an 'ambient sleep' and a 'brown noise' CD. It helps to provide white noise and air circulation - with no individual temp controls in the room, I do what I can. The oscillating fans don't make a lot of noise. I use one every night - the fan, that is. Actually, I use the ambient sleep most nights.
A few guests have been really happy to see the fans - some of them even travel with one in their cars.

Ask what's up?
Alibi Ike said:
Penelope said:
Alibi Ike said:
I'd say yes if they could hear it. It is one of the quietest fans I've ever come across, unless you're in the room next door!

Ask what's up?
Alibi Ike said:
Can you tighten up the fan housing and then reconnect the fan? I would hate to not have the fans running here with how small the bathrooms are.
BTW, we tried that here, but to no avail. I have tested all the fans and this is the only one that is so loud it vibrates the wall.

Talk about smells I have a smoker here for 4 nights. Not closing the front door all the way and our heating system is already on aux heat!
Smokers never pick the rooms with outdoor access, it is making me a maniac. Getting woke up all hours as he goes in and out is not my idea of fun. Smoking in the car before arriving, so was sooooo strong when they walked in the door. Nothing I can do about it.

Talk about smells I have a smoker here for 4 nights. Not closing the front door all the way and our heating system is already on aux heat!
Smokers never pick the rooms with outdoor access, it is making me a maniac. Getting woke up all hours as he goes in and out is not my idea of fun. Smoking in the car before arriving, so was sooooo strong when they walked in the door. Nothing I can do about it..
That really gets to me too, I am so sensitive to smoke.
It's almost as good as the male guest who seriously BELCHED in my face as I was checking him in the other night. Didn't cover his mouth, nothing. I thought I would puke on the spot.

Smokers never pick the rooms with outdoor access, it is making me a maniac. Getting woke up all hours as he goes in and out is not my idea of fun. Smoking in the car before arriving, so was sooooo strong when they walked in the door. Nothing I can do about it..
Spray the odor eliminator? Did you get the bead system where you soak the little beads and then you can place them in a room after a guest leaves...or have it there permanently. I bought glass jars to put them in and they are very pretty.

Spray the odor eliminator? Did you get the bead system where you soak the little beads and then you can place them in a room after a guest leaves...or have it there permanently. I bought glass jars to put them in and they are very pretty.
suellen222 said:
Does that bead stuff really work? Ever have any problems with guests spilling it? I know kids would try to take it apart and play with it.

They are really fun to play with, but just put them high up on a shelf. The containers I got were actually from the company - they have a screw on lid that has a mesh top so they can work but not spill. There is not any actual liquid in it tho- it gets absorbed. Pretty funky stuff,but works!

They are really fun to play with, but just put them high up on a shelf. The containers I got were actually from the company - they have a screw on lid that has a mesh top so they can work but not spill. There is not any actual liquid in it tho- it gets absorbed. Pretty funky stuff,but works!.
suellen222 said:
They are really fun to play with, but just put them high up on a shelf. The containers I got were actually from the company - they have a screw on lid that has a mesh top so they can work but not spill. There is not any actual liquid in it tho- it gets absorbed. Pretty funky stuff,but works!
'High up on a shelf'. Hee hee. What kid could resist? I would probably have to put them in the dresser drawers to keep them out of sight.

Back