People are so funny sometimes!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Just had some custom glass tops made for all the dressers, nightstands and fireplaces in the guestrooms. People were always throwing their suitcases and setting wet glasses or cans on the tops of my dressers, and I finally broke down and had someone come in and measure and deliver some great new glass tops. Now, people don't put anything at all on the dressers, and I find all their stuff on the floor instead. I guess they feel OK about throwing their wheeled suitcase or sweaty glass on the top of my antique dresser, but not about putting it on a glass top? Sigh.....
sad_smile.gif

The suitcase I could see...they don't want to break the glass. The sweaty glasses are another thing. MY guests won't put their sweaty glasses on the coasters, they use the wood nightstands instead.

Yeah. Don't cha love it? People are funny and I don't mean ha - ha funny!
I can't help but think where people are coming from and if they really are that dim witted.
My favorite example is once when I was explaining to a couple about breakfast the next morning with other guests at a large table on the verada at 9 am.
Then I mentioned 'al fresco.'
At that point, a woman turned to me and asked if Mr. Fresco was my husband.

I can't help but think where people are coming from and if they really are that dim witted.
My favorite example is once when I was explaining to a couple about breakfast the next morning with other guests at a large table on the verada at 9 am.
At that point, a woman turned to me and asked if Mr. Fresco was my husband..
The Farmers Daughter said:
'En suite' and people wonder if they are sharing their bathroom with Ann Sweet. Not kidding. I know, sometimes I should just say what I mean 'attached bath' but even that gets questioned- 'Attached how?' 'Bathroom in the room' gets questioned, too- 'Are there no walls????'
So, I go with what works best.

'En suite' and people wonder if they are sharing their bathroom with Ann Sweet. Not kidding. I know, sometimes I should just say what I mean 'attached bath' but even that gets questioned- 'Attached how?' 'Bathroom in the room' gets questioned, too- 'Are there no walls????'
Morticia said:
'Bathroom in the room' gets questioned, too- 'Are there no walls????'
I stayed in a 2-star hotel in Pisa, Italy, years ago that indeed had the bathroom IN the room. It had sink, toilet and shower, and just a curtain rod and shower curtain to pull around and separate it from the bed and a chair, like the curtains that can divide the two beds in a hospital room.
The whole bathroom "area" was a shower, with floor sloping to a drain in the middle.
That's when I vowed to stick to the 3-star places in the future!

I had to stop using the term "en suite" years ago. Nobody seemed to know what it ment! Here's how dim some folks are around here...our county has been talking about doing a transient room tax (currently we have non), but they refuse to call it a TRT because when it come to a vote, they think the public will think it's a tax on the homeless! DOH!!!!

I had lemonade and iced tea out the other day and this dude instead of pouring it AT THE DININGTABLE where I had it all set up on a tray with the ice, glasses, etc. He walked over to a very old piece of tiger maple and put his glass on it and poured it. LIQUID that sat and ate up the wood. Why? So he wouldn't spill a drop on the TABLE CLOTH! DUFUS! What the heck is the flippin' table cloth worth? Or For?

There are B&B's all over this country with the bathroom IN the room - no walls other than a water closet - in some. This would do if I was traveling alone, but otherwise there are those times when we all need our privacy!
We use the term En Suite on our website mainly for international use, when they get to our rooms page, we change to say private bath. Sometimes no matter how you say something - someone is not going to understand.

There are B&B's all over this country with the bathroom IN the room - no walls other than a water closet - in some. This would do if I was traveling alone, but otherwise there are those times when we all need our privacy!
We use the term En Suite on our website mainly for international use, when they get to our rooms page, we change to say private bath. Sometimes no matter how you say something - someone is not going to understand..
copperhead said:
...when they get to our rooms page, we change to say private bath.
And to the Europeans, "private bath" means it's probably down the hall from your room, but reserved exclusively for your room's use.
I guess we all have bigger problems, but this one is just really irritating!

We use the term En Suite on our website mainly for international use, when they get to our rooms page, we change to say private bath. Sometimes no matter how you say something - someone is not going to understand..
copperhead said:
And to the Europeans, "private bath" means it's probably down the hall from your room, but reserved exclusively for your room's use.
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Thus my statement: "Sometimes no matter how you say something - someone is not going to understand." You say po-ta-to, I say po-tat-o, but someone will not understand either. Oh, you meant taters?

copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Thus my statement: "Sometimes no matter how you say something - someone is not going to understand." You say po-ta-to, I say po-tat-o, but someone will not understand either. Oh, you meant taters?
Spuds.

A friend of mine spent a ton of money doing up an old B&B and put in beautiful new bathrooms but made one mistake he put in a clear glass window in all the doors of the bathrooms. I love my DH but I don't want to see him on the loo! Other people weren't keen either so he changed the glass to privacy glass.

Americans don't do ensuite so I am not sure why American B&B's use that term at all.

A friend of mine spent a ton of money doing up an old B&B and put in beautiful new bathrooms but made one mistake he put in a clear glass window in all the doors of the bathrooms. I love my DH but I don't want to see him on the loo! Other people weren't keen either so he changed the glass to privacy glass..
We stay in a place with beautiful stained glass bathroom doors. Same thing. I'm always in the bathroom with the light off!

A friend of mine spent a ton of money doing up an old B&B and put in beautiful new bathrooms but made one mistake he put in a clear glass window in all the doors of the bathrooms. I love my DH but I don't want to see him on the loo! Other people weren't keen either so he changed the glass to privacy glass..
This reminds me of my favorite scene on the TV show Coupling. Steve comes home and finds that his girlfriend has remodeled their bathroom, including removing the lock from the bathroom door!
He offers this in response...
We are men! Throughout history, we have always needed, in times of difficulty, to retreat to our caves. It so happens that in this modern age, our caves are fully plumbed. The toilet is, for us, the last bastion, the final refuge, the last few square feet of man-space left to us!
Somewhere to sit, something to read, something to do, and who gives a damn about the smell? Because that, for us, is happiness. Because we are men. We are different.
We have only one word for soap.
We do not own candles.
We have never seen anything of any value in a craft shop.
We do not own magazines full of pictures of celebrities with all their clothes on.
When we have conversations, we actually take it in turns to talk!
But we have not yet reached that level of earth-shattering boredom and inhuman despair that we would have a haircut recreationally.
We don't know how to get excited about... really, really boring things, like ornaments, bath oil, the countryside, vases, small churches.
I mean, we do not even know what, what in the name of God's arse is the purpose of potpourri! Looks like breakfast, smells like your auntie! Why do we need that?

So please, in this strange and frightening world, allow us one last place to call our own. This toilet, this blessed pot, this... fortress of solitude. You girls, you may go to the bathroom in groups of two or more. Yet we do not pass comment. We do not make judgement. That is your choice. But we men will always walk the toilet mile... alone.

Back