people who pick

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
I have just had a review on trip adviser which upsets me because I know who the woman is and I know she was on a right cheep deal but expected the works. She was with a party of doctors all of which except her were really nice. she was what we call a slapped arse always looked like she was sucking a lemon. But what hacks me off is she went round the other doctors rooms and reviewed them to! one chap had booked separately and had booked a single room with private bathroom as it was all we had left and he got a cheeper price because of this and she was like " you do know not all the rooms in this place are not ensuite" like we tricked him! we clearly state it everywhere! and some rooms do not have a full length mirror (like single men give a toss) and just picking. Another thing she was picking at was we are opposite the conference centre that people on the front must have problems with the light )She was in a room on the back) and we have spent a ton of money on special blinds so light on the front is not a problem! iT is just the fact she went in other people's rooms as well and commented on things that were nothing to do with her that made me cross. It is like people who comment on that I didn't like the shade of carpet well that is your taste not a problem with the failities isn't it?

This is crummy that this happened to you but I dearly love your expressions when you are "hacked off"!
In cases like this I really think it's best to just leave it alone...it's difficult to respond to such a nit-picky review without sounding defensive. Usually with people like this you can hear their tone a mile off and know they are a PITA (as a guest reading the review).
Also I'll reiterate here that the single best decision I've made as an innkeeper was to stop looking at TA about a year ago. So many little things were getting under my skin and it was just taking too much of an emotional toll on me so I decided not to do that to myself any more. I haven't looked back, and I still get bookings with "TA" listed under the "How did you find us" question, so that's good enough for me.
Don't let this woman ruin your week of being closed!

This is crummy that this happened to you but I dearly love your expressions when you are "hacked off"!
In cases like this I really think it's best to just leave it alone...it's difficult to respond to such a nit-picky review without sounding defensive. Usually with people like this you can hear their tone a mile off and know they are a PITA (as a guest reading the review).
Also I'll reiterate here that the single best decision I've made as an innkeeper was to stop looking at TA about a year ago. So many little things were getting under my skin and it was just taking too much of an emotional toll on me so I decided not to do that to myself any more. I haven't looked back, and I still get bookings with "TA" listed under the "How did you find us" question, so that's good enough for me.
Don't let this woman ruin your week of being closed!.
it was more the fact she wrote it like we had tricked her colleague into booking a non ensuite room when he knew full well what he had booked but you don't know what he told her do you. Mind you he was the first to re book for next year so he can't have been too gutted lol mind you I know who she is so if she tries to book for next year I am going to say "from your review on trip adviser I feel your standards are not our standards so I feel you would not be happy here so I am afraid we cannot take your reservation." I think part of the trouble is they like the feel of annonyimity and can say what they like. I think I would be less cross if I didn't know exactly who they were.

Doctors you say? HELP US ALL
You poor thing, that just stinks!! I would be ticked off as well.

We can't stop giggling...DH says to tell them it is right next to the parking lot!

the one for room 6 is just accross the landing and one time we had a whole group of work men in really nice cheery lads no trouble and they knew they were the only ones in so they dashed accross the landing just in towels (we use bath sheets the really big ones and these rooms have robes as well) got a few eye fulls I can tell you.

The olde tricking into a non ensuite room gag. On another thread we mentioned the guests we may or may have liked to ask to leave and I shared the one about the hysterical wife and the detached PRIVATE bath.
I just checked in the lady and husband from NY and I show them everything but don't mention the bathroom - there is ONE DOOR in their room, go figure?! She has to ask me "Well where is the bathroom?!" I said, "Right there" and walk out of the room. I normally tell people, and DH always says "Why do you tell people where the toilet is, that is weird." Yeah, well now you know.

If you are going to reply, and it is obvious that she poked around, I would keep your reply to the one room she had and perhaps query why she was in other guest's rooms, altho you don't want to make it sound like it's not safe to leave your room!

Interesting how she just picks apart everything. If you respond, I'd definitely answer the bits about the en suite not being clean. That's a biggie.
Then go on to say how romantic the 4 poster is. Hate to do that but it does throw a light on how she might have grumbling because she was in that nice, romantic bed alone.

I do not get a lot of reviews (did not really ask for them either until I got the RezKey and the link is in the thank you letter). But today I got such a glowing from the folks last weekend and she even said she made 2 more reservations! This was also the first time I saw the previous review - and it was also really nice.
I am so sorry you got Madam NitPick and I love your reply to her if she tries to book next year!

...and now for something completely different:
[FONT= 'Lucida Grande']The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look whether they've seen a moth or an ax murder.[/FONT]
Just for something lighter to make you smile. :)

If you respond, just do so factually. I know when I look at the TA reviews and see that the host has gotten into a verbal contest with the reviewer that it doesn't sit well with me. We can all figure out those guests that are just nit pickers or are just plain cRaZy!
Sorry that happened to you!

Back