Perennial Problem

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
I know, I know, we've been down this particular thread many times. Just had a bit of a Maddie-Moment last night.
Two sets of guests check in last night, one after the other they come down "Can you book us a table for dinner at the xxxxx Inn". Phoned for the 1st lot, no, full. What really ? On a Friday evening, in peak season and a bank holiday weekend, the last bank holiday before Christmas.
confused_smile.gif

It was in your confirmation people. The only place to eat within walking distance is the xxxxx Inn and they get busy, because they're very good. So I changed my confirmation template this morning. It used to say
"We recommend you book a table in advance as the Inn is very popular"
It now says
"If you do not have a prior reservation for the Inn you will probably not get a table between Easter and October and at weekends the rest of the year".
This text is in Bold, it then goes on to offer to book a table if they let us know, as it always has.
Will this make a difference, not if people don't read the damn thing no, but I tried.

Lovely. There is now an event called a 'Maddie-Moment'!
I am having fewer of them the closer we get to Sunday. Tomorrow!

It is not so much as an event as a state of mind. Good one John! :)
Our innkeeping vocab keeps growing...

And here we go again. "Can you book us a table ......" blah blah blah.
These people even had a copy of their confirmation in their hands.

Love it 'Maddie-Moment'
Sorry HJ. People don't read! As they say here in the states: You can't fix stupid!

see ... i would be one of those guests. not understanding what 'in advance' means ... you are talking months in advance? then i need to be told that.
i am unfamiliar with places that book up solid so far in advance.
for me, a week in advance is quite a lot of advance notice for the restaurant.
and calling that day for the evening often works. sometimes, it has to be the night before.
yes, please do put on your website that the xyz inn is the only place within walking distance of the b&b and reservations must be made WEEKS or MONTHS in advance to guarantee a table. and that you will be happy to make a dinner reservation NOW for while i am there ... or something.

see ... i would be one of those guests. not understanding what 'in advance' means ... you are talking months in advance? then i need to be told that.
and calling that day for the evening often works. sometimes, it has to be the night before.
yes, please do put on your website that the xyz inn is the only place within walking distance of the b&b and reservations must be made WEEKS or MONTHS in advance to guarantee a table. and that you will be happy to make a dinner reservation NOW for while i am there ... or something..
its the ones that don't get that valentines day is busy - anyone that books for then I email with restaurant suggestions and most turn up "oh we will find somewhere" yes in the 75th restaurant (we have 253 in the town centre) and where non of the locals would wish to be - cos then she will have a happy valentines!

yes, please do put on your website that the xyz inn is the only place within walking distance of the b&b and reservations must be made WEEKS or MONTHS in advance to guarantee a table. and that you will be happy to make a dinner reservation NOW for while i am there ... or something..
Around here, there are thousands of restaurants and yet, there are about a dozen or so that you need a reservation 30 days in advance if you want to eat at prime time on a weekend. About a week in advance if you want to eat at non-prime time on a weekday. If you are lucky, you can get a table at non-prime times a day in advance. And when I say non-prime, I mean 5:30 or 10:30.

Back