Perfect vs. interesting

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[h2] Perfect vs. interesting [/h2]
There are two jobs available to most of us:
You can be the person or the organization that's perfect. The one that always ships on time, without typos, that delivers flawlessly and dots every i. You can be the hosting company or the doctor that might be boring, but is always right.
Or you can be the person or the organization that's interesting. The thing about being interesting, making a ruckus, creating remarkable products and being magnetic is that you only have to be that way once in a while. No one is expected to be interesting all the time.
Fedex vs. Playwrights Horizons.
(JB - This is interesting timing, this is what I was talking about re preferring quirky fiesty people. Boring does nothing for me. Here it is pertaining to business, a perfect inn vs a quirky fun inn - the inn doesn't have to be perfect, people overlook imperfections when they are treated well - not like numbers. Innkeepers who always need to be right, always perfect are off putting, let your hair down and enjoy your guests and business!)

cheers.gif
OH Thank God .... Bet you can't guess which model I fit into
teeth_smile.gif

"Whew" we were worried about this! We begin at "quirky"......(Two more reservation inquiries last night
regular_smile.gif
)

JB - Thanks for the post.
Recently, we had guests who LOVED it here. I mean, wow, our place, the food, the TOWN, the local park, etc., etc. We were informed we are now their BnB of choice.
And then, one of the pair explained that the reason she liked it here so much is because it isn't perfect. (Ouch.)She really feels like she can do what she wants here and not worry about damaging or breaking something or committing a social faux pas.
Well, JEEPERS, I hope so...but I admit my feelings were hurt when she said things aren't perfect. <sigh> I'll never get there anyway. But the lesson is that it made the guests happy, relaxed, and comfortable, and kept them interested, and I suppose in the end that's what we're selling.

Recently, we had guests who LOVED it here. I mean, wow, our place, the food, the TOWN, the local park, etc., etc. We were informed we are now their BnB of choice.
And then, one of the pair explained that the reason she liked it here so much is because it isn't perfect. (Ouch.)She really feels like she can do what she wants here and not worry about damaging or breaking something or committing a social faux pas.
Well, JEEPERS, I hope so...but I admit my feelings were hurt when she said things aren't perfect. <sigh> I'll never get there anyway. But the lesson is that it made the guests happy, relaxed, and comfortable, and kept them interested, and I suppose in the end that's what we're selling..
Red Handed Jill said:
But the lesson is that it made the guests happy, relaxed, and comfortable, and kept them interested, and I suppose in the end that's what we're selling.
cheers.gif

I am all for interesting but what I think is almost more important is comfortable. Both being comfortable in a physical way and in a mental way ie I watch 3 in a bed which is where 3 b&B people stay in each others places and pay what they think it is worth. There was one where the place was imaculate but I would never stay there as i would feel like she was running after me with her rubber gloves on cleaning everything I touched. Would never feel comfortable there.

I am all for interesting but what I think is almost more important is comfortable. Both being comfortable in a physical way and in a mental way ie I watch 3 in a bed which is where 3 b&B people stay in each others places and pay what they think it is worth. There was one where the place was imaculate but I would never stay there as i would feel like she was running after me with her rubber gloves on cleaning everything I touched. Would never feel comfortable there..
Comfy doesn't catch PR. Comfy doesn't attract interest. Comfy is what we need, but that is just part of the whole picture, just like tasty.

Context is everything. I don't mind an interesting B&B but I want my surgeon to be perfect.
regular_smile.gif

Well, JEEPERS, I hope so...but I admit my feelings were hurt when she said things aren't perfect. <sigh> I'll never get there anyway. But the lesson is that it made the guests happy, relaxed, and comfortable, and kept them interested, and I suppose in the end that's what we're selling..
My late grade school classmate told me that she thought people liked it here because everything is not in its place and my Library is in a permanent state of desparate need to be decrapified. it was the "not quite ready for prime time" factor that she thought told efeeryone to just relax. What can I say - it is me! Someone actually gave me a 5 on clean in a review. I almost fell over!
Don't get me wrong, the GUEST area IS clean the rest is passable.

I think that is what is so good about us, when we owned our Inn we didn't have the "perfect" and we always made sure our guests felt at home-here in this job we do the same and our reviews so far shows it-we will try to accomodate all guests as the great ones that were here last weekend that left us a $100 tip-we really didn't do anything spectacular other than make them feel like this is their home away from home and they loved it.
I truly think that like someone said-people overlook alot if they feel comfortable in your home cause thats pretty much what you have in a B & B only you make $$ and you sweat and cry and all of the things that make you crazy also make you happy in the long run. That is why we like our prefession and the day that I am not at least 60-75% happy with my job is the day to say goodbye to innkeeping. Don't get me wrong, its not all happy happy all the time but its like that with any job-our is just a little more INTENSE ha ha.

Back