Perhape we should add this title to our signature lines: Psychiatrist/Innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Perhaps we should say "Take a seat on the couch" as innkeepers.
With the stress and woes of the current status of our country, there seem to be more folks with heavy burdens wanting to share them with someone, anyone.
I had a call from a man who told me about his marital difficulties and hopes a stay at our B&B will solve or help bring a solution to his worries. If he books, like he was planning, I now know "their" personal story when they check in.
We really do wear many hats as innkeepers. But I am finding out more information BEFORE they check in more than ever.
Are you finding people sharing "too much information" lately, or more than usual?

Everything or nothing! Some yes, while others it seems I need a can opener to pry open to get any response! Not really sure if this is much different than before the economy problems.
We did just experience what I would call a reaction to the economy. One of our regular guests (meaning 2 to sometimes 3 times a year) was hear this past weekend. Since their 2nd or 3rd stay many years ago, they have always wanted to 'do' lunch - dutch treat - of course. Well they came in this time and emediately wanted to go out for lunch. Due to our other guests, it was about 1/2 hour before we could leave and told them if they needed to, do not feel they must wait. This usually is not a big issue but even though they waited I could sence trouble brewing. Over lunch he wasn't his pleasent self either. They had evening plans with a famous local (how they began staying here) and from what we gathered, the evening did not go over well either. Seems the famous local had invited others as well so our guests did not have the locals full attention. We had to hear full details when they returned (couch session). Then over breakfast he did not let anyone else get a word in and was very agressive in his actions.
Nothing was ever mentioned about the economy but I really do think it is bothering him. They are very well off but I am sure his portfolio has seen a large dip and his actions are at least partially due to this. I sure hope his wife realizes he needs to see someone before he is forced to...! It is funny, he noticed the famous local was not himself either...He felt it was due to economy issues as he (famous local) has had quite a bit of his gigs in the states canceled and is now focusing on more gigs in France but things are not well there either. Knowing this local myself, I think it is more the fact he loves to entertain than the money he receives doing it as many of his concerts are benefits - which are having problems as well.

We have only been at this for 3 months now but the amount of "couch time" we get and what we hear just amazes us
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I just hope that means people are comfortable around us and need to talk to someone. Personaly, I would not tell this stuff to a stranger but maybe that's why we are on the "listening" side of the couch......

As innkeepers we definately hear more than a hairdresser or bartender would. Probably because we are not in the same locale as they and the hairdresser.
Seems that people are telling ya stuff before they even arrive tho now. I am willing to listen to these guests if I have the time to do it. Most are not asking advice or answers, just need someone to talk to. I noticed they were doing this amongst themselves on Monday at breakfast - so I gave them space.

As a retired psychotherapist, it's right up my alley so I don't mind. I just let them vent. One of the perks of staying with me.

People have always told me things that surprised me that they would say. I used to think I should put a Doctor is in - 5 cents please on my office door. I made one man feel better when I told him his wife used to come because she had to - now she comes home because she wants to.
They tell us their problems and vent frustrations because they do not know us and we do not know them. Most think they will never see us again and they just NEED to get it out of their system. We will not hold it over them nor remind them of it at any given opportunity as would someone they know.
I am, as you know Conservative so do not waste my time listening to the pap that is served up by Public Radio most times. The Statewide Talk show I listen to has a half hour every Friday devoted to calling in and venting - the only caveat being keep it clean and do not get me sued - to get up, open the window (pick up the phone), and say "I'm not taking it any more!" Some people have very interesting things - some make it into a poem. Steam Release is what he calls it.

I think that most innkeepers that care about their guests come across as empathetic and kind. In today's world, that is something that a lot of folks don't get all the time...unfortunately. Many are overstressed, overworked, and overburdened so that when they come to us and the hand of friendship is extended along with a lovely place to stay...well, they are naturally put at ease and say what's on their mind.
We seem to cover the gamut here in conversations and I hear waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much about some personal situations. But, I keep that under wraps so that may be why :)

I think that most innkeepers that care about their guests come across as empathetic and kind. In today's world, that is something that a lot of folks don't get all the time...unfortunately. Many are overstressed, overworked, and overburdened so that when they come to us and the hand of friendship is extended along with a lovely place to stay...well, they are naturally put at ease and say what's on their mind.
We seem to cover the gamut here in conversations and I hear waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much about some personal situations. But, I keep that under wraps so that may be why :).
Not to mention we scrub their toilets and make their beds.
tounge_smile.gif

Getting back to the other thread "Where are the innkeepers?" for those guests who never even see the innkeepers, those innkeepers could not say what we are saying. They miss the best part of innkeeping! We don't run hotels, we run inns, and that says a lot!
I stand firm and proclaim "I am not here for the money" or I wouldn't be here.
A caller booked a room for Thursday and asked me, a personal question. She said, "I want the absolute truth! Tell me which is YOUR favorite room?"
I told her the absolute truth, as I am known to do "The one that is easiest to clean"
She said DOH! NOT FUNNY!
TRUTH. I don't actually sleep in our rooms, so it is what it is.
She booked the one I thought she would prefer, she said it was the one that looked the most like a bed and breakfast. Okayyyyyyyy.

As a retired psychotherapist, it's right up my alley so I don't mind. I just let them vent. One of the perks of staying with me..
SweetiePie said:
As a retired psychotherapist, it's right up my alley so I don't mind. I just let them vent. One of the perks of staying with me.
Now we know where all your innmates can go for RR & some pro. couch time!!!

Back