Perkolators ???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I'm cringing in embarrassment, but here goes...
Can someone explain to me how to use a stovetop perkolator? I have used the electric ones that turn off when they are done, but how do you use the stovetop ones? How do you know when they are done if the just keep perking away?

It stops perking. Takes about 10 minutes or so to perc/brew but it does stop. Just remove it from heat once it stops and you're done.

It stops perking. Takes about 10 minutes or so to perc/brew but it does stop. Just remove it from heat once it stops and you're done..
Innkeeper To Go said:
It stops perking. Takes about 10 minutes or so to perc/brew but it does stop. Just remove it from heat once it stops and you're done.
So does that mean to just leave it on a low flame and it will stop perking on its own when its done? Sorry, I am just clueless about these. I remember my grandparents using one when I was a kid, but never really paid attention to the details.

It stops perking. Takes about 10 minutes or so to perc/brew but it does stop. Just remove it from heat once it stops and you're done..
Innkeeper To Go said:
So does that mean to just leave it on a low flame and it will stop perking on its own when its done? Sorry, I am just clueless about these. I remember my grandparents using one when I was a kid, but never really paid attention to the details.
Yes, that's exactly right.
I was given a (Corning Ware) stovetop percolator as a gift (from my grandmother) years ago and used it for many many years. I found it actually really as easy to use as the electric coffeemakers we've all grown accustomed to.
Just keep an eye on it when it's going full speed ahead and it will just stop when it's done.

They stop perking. We use a moka pot for our own coffee and it just starts to stop the gurgling sound and then it burns - when you smell burning you have left it on too long. The best brew out of it is in the first 10 seconds it perk's btw. :) (We pour it into the cup and put it back on the heat to continue perking).

Innkeeper To Go said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
I'm kind of a coffee nut - I love all the various ways to brew it. Perk machines make great coffee with very little work. Water basically travels from one container into a sub-container in these gadgets. The perking is it boiling up through the opening (usually top of a tube) from the supply container, through the coffee and into the final container. Once all the water has perked out of the original supply, it stops perking entirely because there is nothing left to send through. it is all done and ready to go. Depending on the device and heat you have it set at, you may want to keep an eye on it so it doesn't go overly long/overly hot after perking is done.

Uh, I admit that it's been a long time since I've used a stovetop perculator. It had the basic place to put water, a stem, and then a place for the coffee. As long as the water was boiling, I can imagine that thing perking forever. It was like a kettle with a stem and basket, basically.

Uh, I admit that it's been a long time since I've used a stovetop perculator. It had the basic place to put water, a stem, and then a place for the coffee. As long as the water was boiling, I can imagine that thing perking forever. It was like a kettle with a stem and basket, basically..
For a simple device, it's amazing that it does really stop perking when it's done.
Of course, if you leave it on the stove for very long after that, you'll get burned coffee.

They stop perking. We use a moka pot for our own coffee and it just starts to stop the gurgling sound and then it burns - when you smell burning you have left it on too long. The best brew out of it is in the first 10 seconds it perk's btw. :) (We pour it into the cup and put it back on the heat to continue perking)..
I LOVE my moka pot. And I do the taking the first cup out trick, too. Always perfect, that sneak preview cup.

They stop perking. We use a moka pot for our own coffee and it just starts to stop the gurgling sound and then it burns - when you smell burning you have left it on too long. The best brew out of it is in the first 10 seconds it perk's btw. :) (We pour it into the cup and put it back on the heat to continue perking)..
I LOVE my moka pot. And I do the taking the first cup out trick, too. Always perfect, that sneak preview cup.
Innkeeper To Go said:
ha! Yeah it is the creme de la creme that first coffee up then I put it back and let the rest finish. I do have an electric moka pot (they just invented them I think, so I thought it was cool) to take with for hotel rooms and it doesn't have the first fruits like the stovetop model does. But it does the trick and ties me over. :)

Back