Perpetually peeling paper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I have a suite with a large 85 gallon triangle jacuzzi. This bathroom is a real challenge for me because the steam from the jacuzzi is causing the wallpaper to curl up around the edges and it looks terrible. No amount of repasting will keep it flat. What can I do besides strip it all off and paint it. I would rather not do that if I can figure out another way. Thoughts?

We have slowly but surely over the years stripped all wallpaper from our bathrooms. It is left only in our downstairs powder room and that is slated to go this year. The peeling is too much and I prefer to be able to spray the painted surface with bleach if any mildew arises. The first year we did a wallpapered bathroom where the PO had allowed the exhaust fan to be nonfunctional for three years - it was a disgusting mess of black stuff behind that wallpaper. No more wallpapered baths for me. Strip it.
If you want to have a Victorian-ish look, check out beadboard or wainscoting. We have used that in two bathrooms, painted, as well as our kitchen backsplash, with good success. You could still use a wallpaper border if you wanted to.

I agree...get rid of it! We have beadboard in our downstairs PB, looks very old fashioned.

you have to remove it ... and mildew is likely getting underneath as you suspect.
we put up that wallboard in a bathroom that looks and feels like 4 inch ceramic tiles. but it has to be installed tight and correctly ... and i don't know about a really high steam area as you describe.

Forget it. With all the water and steam being generated in there..you will never keep that wallpaper down. Strip it off. Go with beadboard or some sort of tiling. Be sure to use waterproof backer board when you do it or the water will continue to cause problems with mold and mildew. No way around it but to do it right.

Mold growing on the wallpaper is a huge issue when there is water involved. I agree with the others, strip it, there is no way to keep it in place once it starts. I know we have a wallpaper expert on this forum - but most B&B owners are not wallpaper experts and the wallpaper sucks. We are also removing it as soon as we can everyplace we can. These old houses have it everywhere to cover imperfections in the plaster.

The owners bathroom was about the ONLY room in this house that did not have 6 layers of wallpaper - minimum! However it had a layer of plaster board with a layer of plaster over that. We put up greenboard (the water resistant plasterboard) and then to lessen the chance of water getting behind it at the shower, we tiled with 6x8 (biggest I could find to make it easier and faster for my daughter) tiles from tub to ceiling.

OK... stripping is #1 choice.
If you can't/won't strip it, maybe try using a different adhesive, such as a very thin layer of silicon... the stuff is really tough when it dries (and water resistant).
=)
Kk.

Is the wallpaper moldy? Is it all peeling off or just the edge around the tub? If it is not moldy and it is just the edge along the tub, how about a row of tiles right over the wallpaper and along the edge of the tub?
We have taken almost all of the wallpaper out of our bathrooms but now we are faced with bleaching products that are stripping the paint right off the wall. Someone splashed some sort of personal cleaning product on the wall behind the sink adn it ran down the wall taking all the paint with it. New paint will not stick now. The whole wall will have to be sanded, primed and repainted. We didn't have that problem with the wallpaper!
In spite of wallpaper not being 'in fashion' it was traditional where I live so it stays in the bedrooms! Keep in mind that in some houses the only thing holding up the wall is the wallpaper!

Is the wallpaper moldy? Is it all peeling off or just the edge around the tub? If it is not moldy and it is just the edge along the tub, how about a row of tiles right over the wallpaper and along the edge of the tub?
We have taken almost all of the wallpaper out of our bathrooms but now we are faced with bleaching products that are stripping the paint right off the wall. Someone splashed some sort of personal cleaning product on the wall behind the sink adn it ran down the wall taking all the paint with it. New paint will not stick now. The whole wall will have to be sanded, primed and repainted. We didn't have that problem with the wallpaper!
In spite of wallpaper not being 'in fashion' it was traditional where I live so it stays in the bedrooms! Keep in mind that in some houses the only thing holding up the wall is the wallpaper!.
Bree said:
Keep in mind that in some houses the only thing holding up the wall is the wallpaper!
haha! ohmy!
wink_smile.gif

Been there. Done that.
You should treat the walls as if they were in a bathroom wet area. You need to have water resistant wall board laid on top of whatever you have. Standard gypsum board will eventually disintegrate over time. Use the purple board. The green board is NOT water proof only moisture resistant.
If you're going to do it the right way, I would strip the walls and see if there is any mildew and/or rusted nails etc. If you can't readily get rid of the mildew, then using proper safety gear, i.e. face mask and gloves and remove the existing wall covering. Dry it out, apply concrete backer board then tile the wall.
Unless you have something that is moisture proof, you're going to have bigger problems down the road than peeling paper.

In spite of wallpaper not being 'in fashion' it was traditional where I live so it stays in the bedrooms! Keep in mind that in some houses the only thing holding up the wall is the wallpaper!.
Bree said:
In spite of wallpaper not being 'in fashion' it was traditional where I live so it stays in the bedrooms! Keep in mind that in some houses the only thing holding up the wall is the wallpaper!
No the wall paper is not moldy. In fact its not even that old. This area was totally renovated in 2004. Its just curling along the edges and looks bad.

Bree said:
No the wall paper is not moldy. In fact its not even that old. This area was totally renovated in 2004. Its just curling along the edges and looks bad.
The Farmers Daughter said:
No the wall paper is not moldy.
This is like watching a game of 'whisper down the lane' in social media 2.0.
wink_smile.gif
FD never said her wallpaper had mildew issues; I mentioned that I had wallpaper in a bath with a faulty exhaust fan that had awful mold under it. It has morphed into FD having mildew, when she's only got peeling paper...

Bree said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
No the wall paper is not moldy.
This is like watching a game of 'whisper down the lane' in social media 2.0.
wink_smile.gif
FD never said her wallpaper had mildew issues; I mentioned that I had wallpaper in a bath with a faulty exhaust fan that had awful mold under it. It has morphed into FD having mildew, when she's only got peeling paper...
OOOPSSSS
embaressed_smile.gif
still if it is curling and looks really bad to her, then imagine what the guests think...
If you've tried different tricks to reglue and it still comes off..then listen to it and.....strip it off.

Bree said:
Someone had mentioned putting tile on the bottom to stop it from curling. An easier method would be if you could put some quarter round or molding if it's peeling from the bottom. If it's peeling other places, then all you can do is keep using wallpaper glue. That's what I do.
The previous owners of my place never saw a wall they didn't paper! Ugh!

Bree said:
Someone had mentioned putting tile on the bottom to stop it from curling. An easier method would be if you could put some quarter round or molding if it's peeling from the bottom. If it's peeling other places, then all you can do is keep using wallpaper glue. That's what I do.
Breakfast Diva said:
If it's peeling other places, then all you can do is keep using wallpaper glue. That's what I do.
I hear that. I'm the paste queen. The ends you can deal with (Elmers is most effective) but the long pieced together areas on the wall are the tough ones. I understand they are supposed to overlap slightly to prevent this, but apparently the wallpaper hanger was unaware of that fact.

Bree said:
Breakfast Diva said:
If it's peeling other places, then all you can do is keep using wallpaper glue. That's what I do.
I hear that. I'm the paste queen. The ends you can deal with (Elmers is most effective) but the long pieced together areas on the wall are the tough ones. I understand they are supposed to overlap slightly to prevent this, but apparently the wallpaper hanger was unaware of that fact.
No wallpaper is not supposed to overlap. At least that is what I was taught. I papered alot back in the early 80's....to my regret now...for the folks who bought our house.
The edges are to be butted up to each other to match perfectly. However, if someone works to hard at the seams and pulls and tugs to get it in place and over washes too much glue out of the paper..then you get separation....especially bad in a wet damp area as you have. I got a wallpaper glue from the paint store...it a squeeze tube. Can't remember the name of it now...but you could also try something like Aileens Craft glue which dries clear. I was thinking after it dried, then you could try spreading some clear silicone caulk over the seams.

Bree said:
Breakfast Diva said:
No wallpaper is not supposed to overlap. At least that is what I was taught. I papered alot back in the early 80's....to my regret now...for the folks who bought our house.
The edges are to be butted up to each other to match perfectly. However, if someone works to hard at the seams and pulls and tugs to get it in place and over washes too much glue out of the paper..then you get separation....especially bad in a wet damp area as you have. I got a wallpaper glue from the paint store...it a squeeze tube. Can't remember the name of it now...but you could also try something like Aileens Craft glue which dries clear. I was thinking after it dried, then you could try spreading some clear silicone caulk over the seams.
catlady said:
lightbulb.gif
lightbulb.gif
lightbulb.gif
lightbulb.gif
Wow someones got their smarty pants on today. Thanks!

If it's curling at the corners of the wall(s), you can put up a strip of corner molding to keep the wallpaper down. We have a strip of edge molding in a bathroom where the corner could get run into all the time so it prevents divets. Don't know if that's the case with your situation.

Back