Personal and property safety-how do you approach this topic on your website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the exact quote from the article:
"Most strikingly, there were large differences between views of personal safety assurance and property safety systems, which were rated as 'very important" by consumers but "somewhat not important" by innkeepers."
"The findings regarding safety clearly suggest that innkeepers should pay heed to sharing information for ensuring both personal and property safety. This may include noting such things as: individual locks for each guest room door; video monitoring of parking and property, and alarm systems. But I'd like to point out that in sharing such safety information to be careful not to inadvertently provide the consumer with a perception that your inn's surrounding area is one that may be high-crime or unsafe in general. I'd recommend presenting such information in a context that a guest's safety is one of the many elements toward the the goal of providing an overall outstanding guest experience.".
Bree said:
"Most strikingly, there were large differences between views of personal safety assurance and property safety systems, which were rated as 'very important" by consumers but "somewhat not important" by innkeepers."
"The findings regarding safety clearly suggest that innkeepers should pay heed to sharing information for ensuring both personal and property safety. This may include noting such things as: individual locks for each guest room door; video monitoring of parking and property, and alarm systems. But I'd like to point out that in sharing such safety information to be careful not to inadvertently provide the consumer with a perception that your inn's surrounding area is one that may be high-crime or unsafe in general. I'd recommend presenting such information in a context that a guest's safety is one of the many elements toward the the goal of providing an overall outstanding guest experience."
Thanks for sharing that.
Here is my take - if you ask ME if I am concerned with safety and security at a B&B of course I am going to say 100%!! and I am, and that would be truthful. If a B&B is in a not-so-good area I would sure like to know in advance, but I would never book there, now would I?
Telling me we have bars on the windows and a security system and grounds well lit makes me think it is not a safe area.
I stayed in a B&B like that, as we drove through the neighborhood we could not help but notice the bars on windows and security doors! Some neat old historic districts share a boundary with dilapidated crack houses and ghetto apartments. We had to drive THRU that to get to the B&B. We nearly turned around.
There are plenty of historic areas that are still being "gentrified" and there still might be some dicey areas not too far away. Urban inns in large cities can be near areas that might be considered "less than desirable". Are hotels all that different? We have historic homes here with bars on the windows because that wrought iron was part of the architectural style. Does that mean that they should be considered unsafe? I think that you can make plenty of generalizations either way. People need to use their common sense and practice the usual safe travel tips.
Samster said:
There are plenty of historic areas that are still being "gentrified" and there still might be some dicey areas not too far away. Urban inns in large cities can be near areas that might be considered "less than desirable". Are hotels all that different? We have historic homes here with bars on the windows because that wrought iron was part of the architectural style. Does that mean that they should be considered unsafe? I think that you can make plenty of generalizations either way. People need to use their common sense and practice the usual safe travel tips.
Decorative wrought iron is not the bars on the windows I am talking about. I am not that silly. There is a B&B in a city near us that is in an undesirable neighborhood. The B&B is lovely, the neighborhood is not. An innkeeper would have no guests if they posts info on those around them. Like I always say, we have the county jail 2 blocks from here (DH office door is right near the door they haul in the dudes in shackles and chains) Could one escape? Probably.
I know you're not that silly! I was clarifying if others might read what you posted and think, what the??
regular_smile.gif

When you live in town, there are bound to be businesses & other City departments not too far away. Again, folks need to have a little common sense for goodness' sake.
Our jail is not far away either, along with the big giant Public Safety Building. (Police, Sheriff, and Marshall) Also, the City government building is downtown which could be scarier...just kidding!!!
wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
I know you're not that silly! I was clarifying if others might read what you posted and think, what the??
regular_smile.gif

When you live in town, there are bound to be businesses & other City departments not too far away. Again, folks need to have a little common sense for goodness' sake.
Our jail is not far away either, along with the big giant Public Safety Building. (Police, Sheriff, and Marshall) Also, the City government building is downtown which could be scarier...just kidding!!!
wink_smile.gif
I don't dare tell guests that the guys mowing the lawns around town and working on the streets in the orange vests are crims out for work duty.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
Bless their hearts.

"The findings regarding safety clearly suggest that innkeepers should pay heed to sharing information for ensuring both personal and property safety. This may include noting such things as: individual locks for each guest room door; video monitoring of parking and property, and alarm systems. But I'd like to point out that in sharing such safety information to be careful not to inadvertently provide the consumer with a perception that your inn's surrounding area is one that may be high-crime or unsafe in general. I'd recommend presenting such information in a context that a guest's safety is one of the many elements toward the the goal of providing an overall outstanding guest experience.".
Bree said:
"The findings regarding safety clearly suggest that innkeepers should pay heed to sharing information for ensuring both personal and property safety. This may include noting such things as: individual locks for each guest room door; video monitoring of parking and property, and alarm systems. But I'd like to point out that in sharing such safety information to be careful not to inadvertently provide the consumer with a perception that your inn's surrounding area is one that may be high-crime or unsafe in general. I'd recommend presenting such information in a context that a guest's safety is one of the many elements toward the the goal of providing an overall outstanding guest experience."
Thanks for sharing that.
Here is my take - if you ask ME if I am concerned with safety and security at a B&B of course I am going to say 100%!! and I am, and that would be truthful. If a B&B is in a not-so-good area I would sure like to know in advance, but I would never book there, now would I?
Telling me we have bars on the windows and a security system and grounds well lit makes me think it is not a safe area.
I stayed in a B&B like that, as we drove through the neighborhood we could not help but notice the bars on windows and security doors! Some neat old historic districts share a boundary with dilapidated crack houses and ghetto apartments. We had to drive THRU that to get to the B&B. We nearly turned around.
Samster said:
Decorative wrought iron is not the bars on the windows I am talking about. I am not that silly. There is a B&B in a city near us that is in an undesirable neighborhood. The B&B is lovely, the neighborhood is not. An innkeeper would have no guests if they posts info on those around them. Like I always say, we have the county jail 2 blocks from here (DH office door is right near the door they haul in the dudes in shackles and chains) Could one escape? Probably.
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
I don't dare tell guests that the guys mowing the lawns around town and working on the streets in the orange vests are crims out for work duty.
Bless their hearts.
I don't know about there but the guys supervising them with big guns might be a giveaway here

Bree said:
Thanks for sharing that.
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Bless their hearts.
They make ours wear the black and white stripes outfits..so everyone knows who they are:)

Bree said:
Thanks for sharing that.
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Bless their hearts.
I don't know about there but the guys supervising them with big guns might be a giveaway here

Samster said:
No guns visible by the supervising guys, nor cool-hand luke glasses or cotton fields.
wink_smile.gif

Edited to add- when my parents were in SC and saw a chain gang they about flipped, they have seen that in so many movies and called me the first chance they could! Apparently there aren't many chain gangs in California. (Wait people, don't bite on that one)

Bree said:
Thanks for sharing that.
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Bless their hearts.

Samster said:
No guns visible by the supervising guys, nor cool-hand luke glasses or cotton fields.
wink_smile.gif

Edited to add- when my parents were in SC and saw a chain gang they about flipped, they have seen that in so many movies and called me the first chance they could! Apparently there aren't many chain gangs in California. (Wait people, don't bite on that one)
White trousers with the black stripe here. Guards with big guns, plus sidearms...Cold Hand Luke sunglasses included. They are State prisoners that help with mowing.

Back