Personal and property safety-how do you approach this topic on your website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Catlady's bringing up the survey of what guests consider important on a website (PAII IQ mag) made me think that one item, personal and property safety, seems relatively uncovered by most B&B websites, but seems to be very important to guests who were surveyed.
So, how do you cover this topic on your site?

Sorry I already tossed the mag. I must have skimmed that part.
omg_smile.gif

What do you mean?
Telling them they will be safe staying here? Why would be do that? I mean, that is like telling guests "Don't worry we thoroughly washed the linens on your bed after the last couple who never left their room for 3 days"

What do you mean?
Telling them they will be safe staying here? Why would be do that? I mean, that is like telling guests "Don't worry we thoroughly washed the linens on your bed after the last couple who never left their room for 3 days".
LOL
teeth_smile.gif

I think if your B&B is on main street or otherwise "in town," it could be very helpful to describe the status of the safety on the streets if it is a positive thing. People like the idea of walking to dinner or shopping and if the streets are generally safe (wide roads / shoulders / sidewalks) it is a good idea to mention it. Creatively saying "our streets are free of thugs and other vermin" may be a bit more difficult, but if it is true then it makes sense to spend a little time trying to say so.

Very interesting topic and I can see why guests think this is important. JBJ and I are on 2 different tracks on safety issues.
But my insurance company had very strict guidelines on what I could say and what I couldn't and there was a fine line. If you have security systems in place, i.e. monotors or privately hired security, I think this is a plus and should be stated. If you have room safes, I think it should be stated as well.
We have had guests and potential guests ask about the safety of their personal items in their rooms. Since it is primarily only ME, but sometimes DH helps, cleaning the rooms that usually satisfies their consern. - In other words, more affraid of hired help than US! Then there are those that just leave their rooms unlocked...some not even wanting the key, now that is fine that they feel safe and comfortable with us and our place...but they do not know the other guests or even new guests coming in. DH and I have gone around with the issue of getting room safes - he wants them due to the handful of worried guests. I on the other hand think that if we have them AND advertise this on our site, would only bring this issue to light to potential guests - 'should I be conserned?'
We have had several callers ask about how safe our parking lot is as they were moving and their car would be full, so they did not want to park in a hotel parking lot. My response is this: We have never had a problem in the past and feel comfortable with our vehicles as well as other personal property left on the ground, but I can not guarantee what tomorrow will bring.

I would be concerned that bringing up safety would install a fear that was not there to start with. We don't mention anything like that on our website.
I know there are those who are afraid of everything, and frankly don't want to deal with them.
Example (here we go again, us San Franciscans picking on poor little LA...I can do so since half my family is from Orange County...)
We had an older couple - probably in their 60s. He enjoys giviing everyone advice on how to run their life/business/etc. which he sees as "constructive criticism" while she tries to make him shut up.
He told us that he could not sleep all night in the luxury suite and there was a problem that needed attention, and he was telling us for our own good.
Now you have to picture that we are on 13 wooded and vineyard acres 6.5 miles from town. We have two other houses on our private gravel road. One is the distance of two city blocks away from us and the other is about half a mile away.
You know the doors with the half cirlce window up high? The window is up so high even someone 6'5" would need a step stool to be able to look in? Yes you got it - he was afraid all night that someone would be able to look in.
Who? Us? The other couple staying there would find a ladder somewhere? A squirrel?
For crying out loud he was not worth the effort to look at!
Now when I am traveling in a strange city I always ask on my way out for the neighborhoods to stay away from. Like in San Francisco they point out the Tenderloin District which is about four blocks square and only a block away from Union Square and all the biggie hotels and shops.
RIki

I think if your B&B is on main street or otherwise "in town," it could be very helpful to describe the status of the safety on the streets if it is a positive thing. People like the idea of walking to dinner or shopping and if the streets are generally safe (wide roads / shoulders / sidewalks) it is a good idea to mention it. Creatively saying "our streets are free of thugs and other vermin" may be a bit more difficult, but if it is true then it makes sense to spend a little time trying to say so..
Swirt said "I think if your B&B is on main street or otherwise "in town," it could be very helpful to describe the status of the safety on the streets if it is a positive thing. People like the idea of walking to dinner or shopping and if the streets are generally safe (wide roads / shoulders / sidewalks) it is a good idea to mention it. Creatively saying "our streets are free of thugs and other vermin" may be a bit more difficult, but if it is true then it makes sense to spend a little time trying to say so."
Before placing much on your site, check with your insurance co. It really doesn't matter how true it is, if something happens (heaven forbid) to someone, not even on your property, your business could be held with partical liability. As we all are too aware, this country is very sue happy. If something happens and you have it there in black and white on your site, you provided false security.
(Note: I was a paralegal in my previous life.)

I think if your B&B is on main street or otherwise "in town," it could be very helpful to describe the status of the safety on the streets if it is a positive thing. People like the idea of walking to dinner or shopping and if the streets are generally safe (wide roads / shoulders / sidewalks) it is a good idea to mention it. Creatively saying "our streets are free of thugs and other vermin" may be a bit more difficult, but if it is true then it makes sense to spend a little time trying to say so..
Swirt said "I think if your B&B is on main street or otherwise "in town," it could be very helpful to describe the status of the safety on the streets if it is a positive thing. People like the idea of walking to dinner or shopping and if the streets are generally safe (wide roads / shoulders / sidewalks) it is a good idea to mention it. Creatively saying "our streets are free of thugs and other vermin" may be a bit more difficult, but if it is true then it makes sense to spend a little time trying to say so."
Before placing much on your site, check with your insurance co. It really doesn't matter how true it is, if something happens (heaven forbid) to someone, not even on your property, your business could be held with partical liability. As we all are too aware, this country is very sue happy. If something happens and you have it there in black and white on your site, you provided false security.
(Note: I was a paralegal in my previous life.)
Another reason not to put anything in writing !
Riki

I have had guests ask the how safe is it and I tell them our house is within sight of the police station and it is a small town and we have never had a problem. It is up to them from that point on to decide how safe we are.
We have deadbolt locks on all our guestroom doors (and on the shared bath and I have the only keys to that door) some lock the door to come to breakfast and some leave their doors OPEN when they go out for the day. If someone else in in-house, I close it for them!
Had a call in Sept from a man who said he was going to a car show in Columbus and had a car that was a people magnet and would it be safe from being touched. I suggested a cover (do not have one) so gave him the number of a B & B that was WAY out of sight but about 4 minutes from the Interstate but he never contacted them - I asked later. It was a purple Lambourghini (he said).
I will not post on my web site anything about "safety" for just the reasons Copperhead pointed out - "well you SAID it would be safe!"

You cannot guarantee the safety of anyone, the guest in the next room might be a ruthless thug. Hope not, but very possible.
I will never say never.
That is why I won't put anything other than some basic lingo about it - ie off street parking - meaning safety of parking in a more secure area.
We are, not to quote what everyone else does, but Mayberry-ish here. Down the road is a town with gangs and murders - we have 3% unemployment they have 18% - even their Sheriff and sheriff's dept was put away as being a pack of crims.
Any one of those people can come into this Eden-like community and pull a heist. I cannot guarantee anything. We walk around after dark all the time, there are little old ladies with no teeth that might give you a fright!

You cannot guarantee the safety of anyone, the guest in the next room might be a ruthless thug. Hope not, but very possible.
I will never say never.
That is why I won't put anything other than some basic lingo about it - ie off street parking - meaning safety of parking in a more secure area.
We are, not to quote what everyone else does, but Mayberry-ish here. Down the road is a town with gangs and murders - we have 3% unemployment they have 18% - even their Sheriff and sheriff's dept was put away as being a pack of crims.
Any one of those people can come into this Eden-like community and pull a heist. I cannot guarantee anything. We walk around after dark all the time, there are little old ladies with no teeth that might give you a fright!.
Our city was choosing a tag line and I tried like heck (it was a neck & neck tie in most surveys with the one that ended up winning) to get them to adopt the Easy to find - Hard to leave
It is easy to find because once you get on the road in from the Interestate there is nowhere else to go and it is such a nice place that it IS hard to leave. On another plane, it is easy to get here but once the hoods do their dirty deeds, there is NO WAY to get out of here quickly! Too many twists and turns to go faster than 45 or 50 mph and that is only if you are a native (visitors sometimes do the white-knuckle at 25 - Flat-landers) so we are a "Mayberry-like" setting.
Oh, the tag line that won? A sappy - Heart among the hills

Here is the exact quote from the article:
"Most strikingly, there were large differences between views of personal safety assurance and property safety systems, which were rated as 'very important" by consumers but "somewhat not important" by innkeepers."
"The findings regarding safety clearly suggest that innkeepers should pay heed to sharing information for ensuring both personal and property safety. This may include noting such things as: individual locks for each guest room door; video monitoring of parking and property, and alarm systems. But I'd like to point out that in sharing such safety information to be careful not to inadvertently provide the consumer with a perception that your inn's surrounding area is one that may be high-crime or unsafe in general. I'd recommend presenting such information in a context that a guest's safety is one of the many elements toward the the goal of providing an overall outstanding guest experience."

"Most strikingly, there were large differences between views of personal safety assurance and property safety systems, which were rated as 'very important" by consumers but "somewhat not important" by innkeepers."
"The findings regarding safety clearly suggest that innkeepers should pay heed to sharing information for ensuring both personal and property safety. This may include noting such things as: individual locks for each guest room door; video monitoring of parking and property, and alarm systems. But I'd like to point out that in sharing such safety information to be careful not to inadvertently provide the consumer with a perception that your inn's surrounding area is one that may be high-crime or unsafe in general. I'd recommend presenting such information in a context that a guest's safety is one of the many elements toward the the goal of providing an overall outstanding guest experience.".
Bree said:
"The findings regarding safety clearly suggest that innkeepers should pay heed to sharing information for ensuring both personal and property safety. This may include noting such things as: individual locks for each guest room door; video monitoring of parking and property, and alarm systems. But I'd like to point out that in sharing such safety information to be careful not to inadvertently provide the consumer with a perception that your inn's surrounding area is one that may be high-crime or unsafe in general. I'd recommend presenting such information in a context that a guest's safety is one of the many elements toward the the goal of providing an overall outstanding guest experience."
Thanks for sharing that.
Here is my take - if you ask ME if I am concerned with safety and security at a B&B of course I am going to say 100%!! and I am, and that would be truthful. If a B&B is in a not-so-good area I would sure like to know in advance, but I would never book there, now would I?
Telling me we have bars on the windows and a security system and grounds well lit makes me think it is not a safe area.
I stayed in a B&B like that, as we drove through the neighborhood we could not help but notice the bars on windows and security doors! Some neat old historic districts share a boundary with dilapidated crack houses and ghetto apartments. We had to drive THRU that to get to the B&B. We nearly turned around.

"The findings regarding safety clearly suggest that innkeepers should pay heed to sharing information for ensuring both personal and property safety. This may include noting such things as: individual locks for each guest room door; video monitoring of parking and property, and alarm systems. But I'd like to point out that in sharing such safety information to be careful not to inadvertently provide the consumer with a perception that your inn's surrounding area is one that may be high-crime or unsafe in general. I'd recommend presenting such information in a context that a guest's safety is one of the many elements toward the the goal of providing an overall outstanding guest experience.".
Bree said:
Thanks for sharing that.
Here is my take - if you ask ME if I am concerned with safety and security at a B&B of course I am going to say 100%!! and I am, and that would be truthful. If a B&B is in a not-so-good area I would sure like to know in advance, but I would never book there, now would I?
Telling me we have bars on the windows and a security system and grounds well lit makes me think it is not a safe area.
I stayed in a B&B like that, as we drove through the neighborhood we could not help but notice the bars on windows and security doors! Some neat old historic districts share a boundary with dilapidated crack houses and ghetto apartments. We had to drive THRU that to get to the B&B. We nearly turned around.
And I told you Savannah was like that with the bars on the windows and only one exterior shot of the inn...maybe THAT'S a warning sign???

We had some guests that had previously stayed in our neighboring big city. They told me the place, I had never heard of it but it was close to one of the most touristy spots. They said the website pictures were very well done and there was no knowledge of the location.
When they got there, parking was on the street. Tall iron fence with spikes at top surrounded the small property. Once inside, the guest rooms had louvered style doors with NO locks and while you really could not see inside through the louvers, there was little privacy.
They now are very cautious and will not book a B&B with only a few pictures, cropped or close up shots.

Bree said:
Thanks for sharing that.
There are plenty of historic areas that are still being "gentrified" and there still might be some dicey areas not too far away. Urban inns in large cities can be near areas that might be considered "less than desirable". Are hotels all that different? We have historic homes here with bars on the windows because that wrought iron was part of the architectural style. Does that mean that they should be considered unsafe? I think that you can make plenty of generalizations either way. People need to use their common sense and practice the usual safe travel tips.

Bree said:
Thanks for sharing that.
There are plenty of historic areas that are still being "gentrified" and there still might be some dicey areas not too far away. Urban inns in large cities can be near areas that might be considered "less than desirable". Are hotels all that different? We have historic homes here with bars on the windows because that wrought iron was part of the architectural style. Does that mean that they should be considered unsafe? I think that you can make plenty of generalizations either way. People need to use their common sense and practice the usual safe travel tips.
I saw in St Louis the same situation as in Chicago - you go from scag to swag in a matter of 2 blocks.
My Uncle lived in a swanky high-rise on Sheridan Road in Chicago and within 3 or 4 blocks of his "Gold Coast" apartment you found broken windows, etc of a scaggy neighborhood.
I kept a straight face, but barely, when one guest who was house-hunting (wanted a "gated" development as they were from San Antonio) talked about a really nice place they had seen but would not buy it because you had to pass a trailer to get to it. Does everyone have only pristine properties between them and town? I mean outside the gates that is...

Bree said:
Thanks for sharing that.
Samster said:
Decorative wrought iron is not the bars on the windows I am talking about. I am not that silly. There is a B&B in a city near us that is in an undesirable neighborhood. The B&B is lovely, the neighborhood is not. An innkeeper would have no guests if they posts info on those around them. Like I always say, we have the county jail 2 blocks from here (DH office door is right near the door they haul in the dudes in shackles and chains) Could one escape? Probably.

Bree said:
Thanks for sharing that.
Samster said:
Decorative wrought iron is not the bars on the windows I am talking about. I am not that silly. There is a B&B in a city near us that is in an undesirable neighborhood. The B&B is lovely, the neighborhood is not. An innkeeper would have no guests if they posts info on those around them. Like I always say, we have the county jail 2 blocks from here (DH office door is right near the door they haul in the dudes in shackles and chains) Could one escape? Probably.
I know you're not that silly! I was clarifying if others might read what you posted and think, what the??
regular_smile.gif

When you live in town, there are bound to be businesses & other City departments not too far away. Again, folks need to have a little common sense for goodness' sake.
Our jail is not far away either, along with the big giant Public Safety Building. (Police, Sheriff, and Marshall) Also, the City government building is downtown which could be scarier...just kidding!!!
wink_smile.gif

Back