Personal Hygene

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
I've never encountered this problem before in 7 summer seasons of running a B&B, but......
We have a couple staying and the minute they walked in the door there was a reak of body and foot adour. She is especially unkempt, her hair is dark, greasy looking and hanging in clumps. He looks a little neater, but in the first two days of their stay none of the towels in their bathroom where used and they still had the same clothes on they arrived in.
Every day when cleaning the room we run in, open the window and run out, trying not to breathe and when I made the bed this morning it smelt like the beach at low tide.
Unfortunately they are here for a week, and to make matters worse they go out after breakfast and are back by 3pm and then spend all of their time in their room.
What can you do other than rigourous cleaning of the room, frequent bed changes and a tanker load of Fa brez e ordered for delivery at the end of the week?

UHG!
confused_smile.gif

Remember in the world news a couple of years ago a lawyer was put off an airplane because he smelled so bad the other passengers were complaining!
What a horrible situation for you. I have NO idea how it should be handled and look forward to hearing the discussion on this one!

No solution other than tossing the pillowcases and maybe the whole sheet set and thorough airing down to the mattress level (I speak from experience on this one). Hopefully you use pillow liners if you do you might have to toss those, and at least save the pillows. They might still reek.
Mine were a young earthy couple in love.

No solution other than tossing the pillowcases and maybe the whole sheet set and thorough airing down to the mattress level (I speak from experience on this one). Hopefully you use pillow liners if you do you might have to toss those, and at least save the pillows. They might still reek.
Mine were a young earthy couple in love..
Joey Bloggs said:
Ditto on the mattress pads and covers. You may be replacing your mattress if it's not too late.
I once had a co-worker that had breath so bad that it would have gagged a maggot off a meat wagon. We discreetly placed a bottle of mouthwash on his desk to leave a subtle hint. He apparently took it, for we had no problems with him after that.
Perhaps you could leave a note on their bed. It could say something as simple as WTF?
barf.gif

I worked with a lady, not to dredge up all these details again, but she was ethnic (eastern european) and had religious and cultural non-bathing practices during menses, and any room she had been in within an hour still held her odor. It was vomitous. There was nothing anyone could do about it.

Clean, clean, clean. Make sure your mattresses and pillows are covered. I'd probably change out the bedding everyday just to save yourselves the grief of how it will smell later on. OR, just leave them with the one set of linens and toss them at the end of the week. If you can replace their 'good' bedding with 'backup' bedding that you were ready to toss anyway, that might work.
Or, do as Jeeves would do and pretend you don't notice anything different about them.

Joey Bloggs said:
Ditto on the mattress pads and covers. You may be replacing your mattress if it's not too late.
I once had a co-worker that had breath so bad that it would have gagged a maggot off a meat wagon. We discreetly placed a bottle of mouthwash on his desk to leave a subtle hint. He apparently took it, for we had no problems with him after that.
Perhaps you could leave a note on their bed. It could say something as simple as WTF?
barf.gif

Proud Texan said:
breath so bad that it would have gagged a maggot off a meat wagon.
Oh my gosh. I love that. I just guffawed.

In some ways, this is like wearing a "F You" tee-shirt to breakfast every morning. They are living out of the norm in a way that is unpleasant for all around, including your guests.
I would take them aside privately and say something like "I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you both to take a shower and wear clean clothes because the odors around you are disturbing other guests. (or my family if these are the only guests.) If you don't wish to do that, you'll need to find another place to stay."
What they are doing is rude and abusive to others and they should be told to stop! Why do we tiptoe around people like this? You don't want them back and they may cause other guests not to come back.
Or tell them you will have to charge their card for a special cleaning and replacement of linens if they do not wish to comply.
Or maybe serve them a limberger cheese omelet and tell them you thought they'd really enjoy it!

Joey Bloggs said:
barf.gif

I told a friend about this problem today, she suggested I say "Are you having problems with the shower in your room, would you like me to show you how it works?"

I don't think I could ever bring myself to say something to them. Are you in a location where you can leave the windows open, and place a fan in the room, blowing the stench out the window? Also, an small ionizer (the wall plug type) would help immensely, although they are a little spendy. I hate to cover smells, but if not an ionizer, then a g lade plug in or a bouquet of very fragrant flowers? Geez, I just don't know, but definitely pillowcovers and thick mattress covers. I think I would also take the comforter off the bed, if it's not too chilly where you are, and give them an extra crappy blanket.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to say something to them. Are you in a location where you can leave the windows open, and place a fan in the room, blowing the stench out the window? Also, an small ionizer (the wall plug type) would help immensely, although they are a little spendy. I hate to cover smells, but if not an ionizer, then a g lade plug in or a bouquet of very fragrant flowers? Geez, I just don't know, but definitely pillowcovers and thick mattress covers. I think I would also take the comforter off the bed, if it's not too chilly where you are, and give them an extra crappy blanket..
I must confess after enduring it for 3 days now, and 4 more to go I'm fast agreeing with pollyanna, and if they throw a strop and walk out I have their card details.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to say something to them. Are you in a location where you can leave the windows open, and place a fan in the room, blowing the stench out the window? Also, an small ionizer (the wall plug type) would help immensely, although they are a little spendy. I hate to cover smells, but if not an ionizer, then a g lade plug in or a bouquet of very fragrant flowers? Geez, I just don't know, but definitely pillowcovers and thick mattress covers. I think I would also take the comforter off the bed, if it's not too chilly where you are, and give them an extra crappy blanket..
I must confess after enduring it for 3 days now, and 4 more to go I'm fast agreeing with pollyanna, and if they throw a strop and walk out I have their card details.
Highlands John said:
I seriously doubt you'd be the first to confront them with the situation. They're probably half-expecting it.
Go get 'em, and good luck!

ok..how about incense..yea then the whole house would smell, but it would be better than BO and maybe they will take the hind...just a thought

oh and most importantly, block that room off if you can before new guests roll in!!!
barf.gif

Pollyanna you explained the reason I am not ecstatic over elderly guests. No offense to older folks, I love them dearly, but they grew up in an era of weekly bathing.
Whatever you do don't try to cover it up, nothing worse than nice scents on top of B.O.
Do they smoke? Most smokers cannot smell that well, so when they do have B.O. many times others smell it and they do not.
I cringe just reading these responses. Just keep them locked in their room when they go start your HAZMAT routine.

Me?
No problems telling them to take a shower and change clothes.......immediately at time of check in..........or go somewhere else
I had a guy years ago that wore the same work clothes all week.....stopped it in his first week......I'm ok with 2 days.....
As for the ethnic thing or it being a religious thing..........BS........stay home during that time or go back to where you came from where it is accepted

I knew they've be out for a while today, so I hung the comforter out of the bedroom window to freshen it whilst I cleaned the room. Unfortunately when I brought it back in it was covered in spiders webs from the wall below the window and it took me ages with a reel of sticky tape to get it all off.
potty-mouth.gif

CHange of bedding today.... I've never used the "prewash" and "intensive" settings on my washing machine before.
On the bright side: At least we don't have to wash the towels.....because they don't use them!!!
barf.gif

What is it with people like that??? They KNOW they reek. I had a guest from the UK here for 6 days in July and he NEVER showered. He also wore the same clothes every day. He was traveling with another couple and another single guy. I have no idea how the others stood being in a car with him all day, in the HOT July sun. I could barely stand to be in the dining room with him. Surprisingly though the bedroom didn't smell too bad. Maybe because as soon as he left every day I opened the window and turned the fan on.
What we need is some verb age that gets the point across without being offensive.

Again, culturally there are those who feel we stink with our deodorants and constantly bathing.

Back