Pet peeve-bathroom version

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i used the hookless shower curtains, pindot fabric and plain pastel shade fabric - it was a big investment for me at the time to get two dozen. but was a HUGE time saver down the road. they were about $20 a piece and well worth it. when i had more money, i bought a dozen more.
at check out, down came the shower curtain, pulled the towels, the sheets, etc. all went to the laundry.
after cleaning, up went a clean shower curtain ... new towels, new linens ... new bathroom tissue as well. the used rolls went into the family bathroom. no worries about little hairs and other things on the shower curtains.
hookless just take under a minute to put up or take down. they have this reinforced panel with slits. i am providing a link if you have not seen them.
i am so SPOILED now, i have them for ME.

I can't imagine changing the shower curtain between every guest. I wouldn't have the luxury of spending all that time dealing with the curtain rings (luckily I have all glass shower surrounds). Shower curtains do not come into contact with the guests' body, so I don't consider laundering them at every turnover a neccessity.
GH, what's your rationale for doing just the liners? Those things are intended to be waterproof, so washing them in the washing machine doesn't seem to accomplish much to me. It's not like they get very soiled at all and requires cleaning after every guest..
TLE041 said:
I can't imagine changing the shower curtain between every guest. I wouldn't have the luxury of spending all that time dealing with the curtain rings (luckily I have all glass shower surrounds). Shower curtains do not come into contact with the guests' body, so I don't consider laundering them at every turnover a neccessity.
GH, what's your rationale for doing just the liners? Those things are intended to be waterproof, so washing them in the washing machine doesn't seem to accomplish much to me. It's not like they get very soiled at all and requires cleaning after every guest.
Take my word for it, shower curtians DO come in contact with guests' bodies. They billow around in the steam, even if you have the ones with the magnets at the bottom.
Shower curtains are another peeve, but they were very clean looking at the B&B we were at.
I like that gino changes them out and washes them after every guest.

i used the hookless shower curtains, pindot fabric and plain pastel shade fabric - it was a big investment for me at the time to get two dozen. but was a HUGE time saver down the road. they were about $20 a piece and well worth it. when i had more money, i bought a dozen more.
at check out, down came the shower curtain, pulled the towels, the sheets, etc. all went to the laundry.
after cleaning, up went a clean shower curtain ... new towels, new linens ... new bathroom tissue as well. the used rolls went into the family bathroom. no worries about little hairs and other things on the shower curtains.
hookless just take under a minute to put up or take down. they have this reinforced panel with slits. i am providing a link if you have not seen them.
i am so SPOILED now, i have them for ME..
seashanty said:
Thanks for that link seashanty. I had not seen those before and I will look into those.

seashanty said:
Wow! Those are cool!
Red slime... that comes from hard water...
=)
Kk.

seashanty said:
Wow! Those are cool!
Red slime... that comes from hard water...
=)
Kk.
I lived with hard water for many many years and I never got red slime...and if I did and saw it you can still be sure I would be changing the shower curtain:)

Here in Georgia it's not unusual for you to get a red slime at the bottom of a plastic shower curtain just from water standing in the creases, etc., Also, If you don't clean your toilets often enough too you will get a red line around the water line, I have to clean mine 2 times a week to keep the line from forming during the Summer months.
As a traveler I've never thought a shower curtain would be changed between every guest....I'm quite sure they are rarely washed in hotels....
People really blow their nose or pee on shower curtains??!?!?!
whattha.gif

Here in Georgia it's not unusual for you to get a red slime at the bottom of a plastic shower curtain just from water standing in the creases, etc., Also, If you don't clean your toilets often enough too you will get a red line around the water line, I have to clean mine 2 times a week to keep the line from forming during the Summer months.
As a traveler I've never thought a shower curtain would be changed between every guest....I'm quite sure they are rarely washed in hotels....
whattha.gif
We must be special. We get blue deposits in the showers and red in the toilets. We have to clean constantly.
Riki

whattha.gif
"As a traveler I've never thought a shower curtain would be changed between every guest....I'm quite sure they are rarely washed in hotels...."
I don't expect them to be changed for every guest, but if there is slime and mold on it ..I do expect it to be changed. And yes, hotels change theirs frequently. At least the ones I use do.

whattha.gif
"As a traveler I've never thought a shower curtain would be changed between every guest....I'm quite sure they are rarely washed in hotels...."
I don't expect them to be changed for every guest, but if there is slime and mold on it ..I do expect it to be changed. And yes, hotels change theirs frequently. At least the ones I use do.
We are going to be disassembling the shower doors this spring and putting in brand new gaskets. If I can find black gaskets, I'm going with those! We have clear gaskets and after 20+ years of happily doing the job of holding the doors together, they are moldy INSIDE, between the door and the gasket, not on the outside where it can be cleaned. I would love to not have to replace them again. Altho black gaskets may get bleached out and look bad, too. Hmmmm, more to think about.
So now I'm curious about shower door gaskets...for those who have shower doors that have been in place for awhile, how are they holding up? Do you notice this black mold on the inside of the gasket where you can't get at it?

I actually don't have any mold problem at all. This sounds like an air circulation problem. Do you have a strong enough bathroom fan?

if we take all this to the next logical steps:
The guest who blows his nose uncontrollably might also blow it in the room draperies, so they must taken down and washed after every checkout.
The guest with athlete's foot takes off his/her shoes and walks around on the oriental rugs in the bedroom so they must be steam cleaned and disinfected after every check-out.
The guest drools heavily on the pillow, which goes through the pillowcase and pillowcover and drying onto the pillow itself which must now be washed and bleached after every guest.
The guest lays face up in the bed and sneezes sending invisible wet droplets which dry on the canopy over the bed so that it must be removed and washed after every guest.
I have two words for you (the collective you, not Bree) - hygiene hypothesis. I am not talking about ignoring visible dirt, debris, stains or human detritus, nor am I suggesting that we shouldn't clean as well as most of us do. Let's keep a grip on reality, though.

The guest who blows his nose uncontrollably might also blow it in the room draperies, so they must taken down and washed after every checkout.
The guest with athlete's foot takes off his/her shoes and walks around on the oriental rugs in the bedroom so they must be steam cleaned and disinfected after every check-out.
The guest drools heavily on the pillow, which goes through the pillowcase and pillowcover and drying onto the pillow itself which must now be washed and bleached after every guest.
The guest lays face up in the bed and sneezes sending invisible wet droplets which dry on the canopy over the bed so that it must be removed and washed after every guest.
I have two words for you (the collective you, not Bree) - hygiene hypothesis. I am not talking about ignoring visible dirt, debris, stains or human detritus, nor am I suggesting that we shouldn't clean as well as most of us do. Let's keep a grip on reality, though..
I have one word...ewwwww.
I do not want to think about what guests do while in the rooms. I just clean as best I can and hope others do the same before I check in. It's only when things LOOK really nice but I then notice a glaring omission that I wonder if it was an oversight or it's something that just doesn't get thought about.
We found it difficult to ask questions at this place, so I didn't ask.

I have two words for you (the collective you, not Bree) - hygiene hypothesis. I am not talking about ignoring visible dirt, debris, stains or human detritus, nor am I suggesting that we shouldn't clean as well as most of us do. Let's keep a grip on reality, though..
Funny how the 2 competing theories about asthma involve cleanliness (too much of it) and pollution (too much of it)! Homes that are too clean disrupt the body's ability to learn how to fight germs. Homes in neighborhoods where there is a lot of bus traffic and thus a lot of airborne pollutants also give rise to the greatest number of kids with asthma.
The studies were done where I was born and grew up. Clean home inside, pollution outside, I was a goner from the get go! My brother is fine, but the house wasn't as clean with 2 kids and we moved when he was very young so he could play outside in the fresh air and eat dirt.
wink_smile.gif

My kids are fine but I'm a lousy housekeeper and they didn't grow up where I did. They should never say I didn't do something for them!

I've learned from rental properties that the best thing is to have the sliding glass doors. You wouldn't believe how many people put the curtain on the OUTSIDE of the tub so all the water drips down on to the floor, thus building up over time, thus rotting out the floor under it. It's a major pain.
angry_smile.gif

I've learned from rental properties that the best thing is to have the sliding glass doors. You wouldn't believe how many people put the curtain on the OUTSIDE of the tub so all the water drips down on to the floor, thus building up over time, thus rotting out the floor under it. It's a major pain.
angry_smile.gif
Mr.Design said:
angry_smile.gif
Have you noticed any mold build up inside the gaskets that hold the door in the metal frame? How long have your shower doors been in place?

angry_smile.gif
Mr.Design said:
angry_smile.gif
Have you noticed any mold build up inside the gaskets that hold the door in the metal frame? How long have your shower doors been in place?
They're in the properties so I don't see them too often. I have glass doors here at home and around the hinges gets some build up. My sister told me about a great product, something by Arm and Hammer. I'll have to get the bottle and see just what it is. Anyway, just spray it on and it's good to go. No scrubbing required!

Just went and looked. It's Arm and Hammer Scrub Free with Oxy Action. Works wonders! :)

Just went and looked. It's Arm and Hammer Scrub Free with Oxy Action. Works wonders! :).
Mr.Design said:
Just went and looked. It's Arm and Hammer Scrub Free with Oxy Action. Works wonders! :)
This is not on the outside where we could wipe it off. It's BEHIND the gasket next to the glass door. The gaskets are clear so you can see the build up. Just wondering if anyone else notices this on their doors or if, maybe, my door gaskets are just worn out so water is slowly leaking behind.

Every time I read through these discussions, I have to chuckle. As a nurse, I know waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much information. I might never stay anywhere again where others had occupied the same space if I worried about some of this stuff. Common sense has to come into play here while holding up a high level of cleanliness for our guests. Otherwise, we have to open up O.R. Suites for guests instead of the beautiful sleeping accommodations that we love.
wink_smile.gif
lol! And there is stuff lurking in operating rooms too....
Back to the rug thing in bathrooms - I wash the bathroom rugs between guests, except for a couple that are more like area rugs and are not near toilets which get thoroughly vacuumed and spot cleaned every day. They get the total cleaning treatment periodically. Guest here for a longer than a 2 day stay gets fresh bathroom rug(s) & of course if it looks soiled at all, it goes in the wash.
If the rug looked nasty, I would say something to the innkeeper.

Just went and looked. It's Arm and Hammer Scrub Free with Oxy Action. Works wonders! :).
Mr.Design said:
This is not on the outside where we could wipe it off. It's BEHIND the gasket next to the glass door. The gaskets are clear so you can see the build up. Just wondering if anyone else notices this on their doors or if, maybe, my door gaskets are just worn out so water is slowly leaking behind.
Probably wearing out and water is pooling so you're getting a nice little warm breeding ground for mold & mildew that you can't get to. I've had this happen with the silicone sealer at the base of shower doors and had to replace it. They get wear too from the opening/closing.

Back