Pet Peeve Bed and Breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
I was thinking about this anyway and then Country Girl made the comment
My biggest pet peeve when traveling is that there are never enough towels! So I put 6 bath towels, two hand towels, and 6 washcloths in each bathroom.
Seems like many mornings I'm serving breakfast, I'm telling people that "I have a pet peeve about going someplace to eat and having to count the sausages, so I always make plenty." I also have a pet peeve about cold eggs, so if I serve them they hit the table HOT. And I like to drink milk, so it's always offered along with the water and OJ.
I was thinking I could rename my B&B "Pet Peeve Bed and Breakfast" since clearly much of my mode of operation is based on my own personal pet peeves! I was wondering if others are this way and Country Girl has confirmed that that is the case.
So, what do YOU do because of YOUR pet peeves? (Or not do....)
=)
Kk.

a 'necessaries' basket on each floor (or in each room)
~~ i stayed someplace ~~ very sweet ~~ but at 'bed time' i discovered i'd forgotten my toothbrush. went wandering around, finally found the innkeeper and asked if she had a a spare one. she looked at me as if i was totally nuts and said 'i can't afford to supply things like that. are you kidding?' i said i would happily pay for it and she just laughed and said no. i was embarrassed and still had no toothbrush. had no idea where the nearest store was (turns out it was 7 miles down a country road and not open at that hour)
so ... i had a necessaries basket with a few of all kinds of things for guests
it's fine with me if a b&b wants to be reimbursed for these items. i liked having them for guests just in case. and, except for the woman who raided the tp cupboard, guests didn't load up on these items and take advantage.
biggest pet peeve ~~ when a b&b says they offer something ~~ promote it big on their site, etc. and it's not available when you get there.
i chose a place in new hampshire because they had working fireplaces in the guest rooms and in the guest living room. it was february (*snow season*) and i was really looking forward to the 'cheery welcoming fires' ... well, no fires. anywhere. no wood for fire. i had made the reservation a few weeks ahead and was told, 'oh yes, we have lovely fires all the time' .... no explanation til i asked. 'we need to get the chimney cleaned, haven't had a fire for a few months' was the curt reply. who did i TALK to???

Always tell the guests what's for breakfast the next day as I hate being surprised at what breakfast is when I travel.
We do keep a half gallon of milk in the guest fridge for those who like cookies and milk or do not want half and half or, like you, like milk with their brekkie. That's not a peeve of mine, but it was a guest request years ago (and we kept it up even tho they no longer come here).
Cleanliness. It has to be clean and in good repair. I hate being able to see dust lines in the carpet where the vacuum hasn't touched in a looooooong time!

My pet peeve as an Innkeeper with Jacuzzis is the spray on tan.
Recipe for Disaster:
2 - Guests with spray on tans
1 - 80 Gallon Jacuzzi
simmer for 1 hour
Yield - 1 big mess
554760.gif

A shaving mirror shows we menfolk are taken into consideration in the decorating plans. I like a coffee mug with a big enough handle on it so I'm not worried I will drop it.

A shaving mirror shows we menfolk are taken into consideration in the decorating plans. I like a coffee mug with a big enough handle on it so I'm not worried I will drop it..
I like a coffee mug with a big enough handle on it so I'm not worried I will drop it.
One reason I think my coffee mugs sold out so quickly (over and above the fact they were made by an in-State potter). I ordered them to be made with a handle a man could wrap his hand around without getting burned on the hot cup.

My pet peeve is having to ask for things as a guest...more towels, hair dryer, ice, etc. iron. If I have to ask for it, I probably won't... but then I'm not as happy.

This is a great question. It is very important for us to think like guests sometimes.
I have three as a guest.
#1 Dogs in the kitchen. I won't go back. I have seen this several times. One innkeeper was clearing the table with her little dog under her arm. We were standing in the dining room talking with another couple. When we checked in I could see the dog in the kitchen with a gate to keep her there. This is so bad.
# 2 Prices not with the rooms on the web site. I don't want to see the pictures of rooms and have to go back to another page or two to find the prices.
# 3 To lay down on a bed and see a dirty fan. It only take 5 mintues to clean a fan once a month.

This is a great question. It is very important for us to think like guests sometimes.
I have three as a guest.
#1 Dogs in the kitchen. I won't go back. I have seen this several times. One innkeeper was clearing the table with her little dog under her arm. We were standing in the dining room talking with another couple. When we checked in I could see the dog in the kitchen with a gate to keep her there. This is so bad.
# 2 Prices not with the rooms on the web site. I don't want to see the pictures of rooms and have to go back to another page or two to find the prices.
# 3 To lay down on a bed and see a dirty fan. It only take 5 mintues to clean a fan once a month..
Or the dogs or other pets are allowed in the dining room while meals are being eaten. And if they are pets like cats or birds, allowed to walk on the tables or fly around at ANY time.

OK, because of this thread I have added two extra towels in one of my guest rooms... it already had a basket which was too big for the spare roll of TP it held... now it holds two extra towels and the TP.
THANKS!
=)
Kk.

OK, because of this thread I have added two extra towels in one of my guest rooms... it already had a basket which was too big for the spare roll of TP it held... now it holds two extra towels and the TP.
THANKS!
=)
Kk..
Me too!
regular_smile.gif

Pet peeve.......guest who open my gates, walk through ,then leave it open
for my standard poodle to escape. Thats about it. Rest of the things they do, I just go with the flow...... Mary

YES! We all operate on our pet peeves, I agree YS. Is this question just for breakfast and towels or everything? My list may be lengthy.
Don't serve me cold eggs, cold coffee either unless it is an iced coffee from starbucks. Don't make me come in there! to get the coffee, have it available before breakfast. DO NOT, I REPEAT! DO NOT SERVE POWDERED CREAMER or ONLY flavored creamers. Do not take my plate while I am still chewing. Do not come into the dining room and talk about the BnB the whole time I am eating with or without dining companions. Don't make a racket in the kitchen while I am dining.
Extra towels? How about towels of a decent size to begin with?

YES! We all operate on our pet peeves, I agree YS. Is this question just for breakfast and towels or everything? My list may be lengthy.
Don't serve me cold eggs, cold coffee either unless it is an iced coffee from starbucks. Don't make me come in there! to get the coffee, have it available before breakfast. DO NOT, I REPEAT! DO NOT SERVE POWDERED CREAMER or ONLY flavored creamers. Do not take my plate while I am still chewing. Do not come into the dining room and talk about the BnB the whole time I am eating with or without dining companions. Don't make a racket in the kitchen while I am dining.
Extra towels? How about towels of a decent size to begin with?.
One of the things I did to add "luxury" when we were 3 with shared was to provide bath sheets. If it did not wrap around this fat body, I did not buy it. The new bathroom does have regular size towels again. Will have to go back to the bath sheets in there too. Thanks. The original bathroom does still have the bath sheets.

One of the things I did to add "luxury" when we were 3 with shared was to provide bath sheets. If it did not wrap around this fat body, I did not buy it. The new bathroom does have regular size towels again. Will have to go back to the bath sheets in there too. Thanks. The original bathroom does still have the bath sheets.
gillumhouse said:
Having been penny pinchers most of our lives, and though we use thick fluffy towels we've never owned bath sheets. Do they really make that big of a difference in the luxury level? Anything that will up our game is worth considering. We could certainly phase these in.

gillumhouse said:
Having been penny pinchers most of our lives, and though we use thick fluffy towels we've never owned bath sheets. Do they really make that big of a difference in the luxury level? Anything that will up our game is worth considering. We could certainly phase these in.
I have always operated on the theory of if I would like it guests probably will. I like to wrap a towel around me when I get out of the shower or tub. Because the bath sheets cost more - and most people do know that - I think it does add to luxury. I bought good ones when they were on sale and am still using some of them. I think the secret to it is to buy enough of them that they are not getting "beaten into the ground". If you have enough to rotate them out they last a lot longer.
I actially got on to the bath sheet size when we lived in Illinois. There was a towel factory near us and thy had wharehouse sales in the outlet store - mostly overruns or oops of towel orders for corporations etc that were basically beach towels. The kids loved the size and so did I. That is about all we used for towels for years. I use a much better quality in the B & B but look for the biggest size I can get. Over-sized towels do not cut it. They are just a couple inches bigger.
PT, penny pinching does not describe me - I am CHEAP but not on things that count. Watch for sales. And a minimum size would be 34 x 68 (I like 70 better), do not be fooled that 66 is enough - that 2 inches is a big difference. You should be able to get them for about $20 per.

Yikes!!! I've learned a lot today!
whattha.gif

I will definitely keep an emergency "spare" basket for guests who forget things. Even though I have them on hand now I will keep them visible.
My golden retriever is never allowed in the dining room (even though guests beg) but she does hang out with me in the kitchen. We have a very large kitchen/dining room/sitting area that is for my family only and she has a bed in one of the corners and just hangs there while I make breakfast. Is this a bad thing? I've never thought that it would bother any of the guests to see her in there. O.K. I admit, if I drop something she's on it in a flash, and if it falls, it's hers anyway.
Also, on our website we offer complimentary tickets to a local botanical garden or local live theatre if guests stay two night's or longer. I don't give them out to guests who stay unless they ask for them specifically. Some guests are just not into gardening or theatre and would not want the free tickets. But should I reword my offer to state that they must ask for the tickets in advance?

Yikes!!! I've learned a lot today!
whattha.gif

I will definitely keep an emergency "spare" basket for guests who forget things. Even though I have them on hand now I will keep them visible.
My golden retriever is never allowed in the dining room (even though guests beg) but she does hang out with me in the kitchen. We have a very large kitchen/dining room/sitting area that is for my family only and she has a bed in one of the corners and just hangs there while I make breakfast. Is this a bad thing? I've never thought that it would bother any of the guests to see her in there. O.K. I admit, if I drop something she's on it in a flash, and if it falls, it's hers anyway.
Also, on our website we offer complimentary tickets to a local botanical garden or local live theatre if guests stay two night's or longer. I don't give them out to guests who stay unless they ask for them specifically. Some guests are just not into gardening or theatre and would not want the free tickets. But should I reword my offer to state that they must ask for the tickets in advance?.
CG - do not get me wrong I LOVE animals but I for one would not like seeing a dog, cat or any animal (fish ok) in the room where my breakfast is being made, much less in the dining room.
When we were in Barcelona this past November, we ate at a little cafe near our hotel. After we ordered and just as we received our food, a large bullmastiff came walking up to our table, sniffed a little then went to lay in his bed under the baby grand next to our table. Now that was intimidating.

gillumhouse said:
I have always operated on the theory of if I would like it guests probably will. I like to wrap a towel around me when I get out of the shower or tub. Because the bath sheets cost more - and most people do know that - I think it does add to luxury. I bought good ones when they were on sale and am still using some of them. I think the secret to it is to buy enough of them that they are not getting "beaten into the ground". If you have enough to rotate them out they last a lot longer.
I actially got on to the bath sheet size when we lived in Illinois. There was a towel factory near us and thy had wharehouse sales in the outlet store - mostly overruns or oops of towel orders for corporations etc that were basically beach towels. The kids loved the size and so did I. That is about all we used for towels for years. I use a much better quality in the B & B but look for the biggest size I can get. Over-sized towels do not cut it. They are just a couple inches bigger.
PT, penny pinching does not describe me - I am CHEAP but not on things that count. Watch for sales. And a minimum size would be 34 x 68 (I like 70 better), do not be fooled that 66 is enough - that 2 inches is a big difference. You should be able to get them for about $20 per.
We just upsized our towels, but not to the bath sheet size. No can do when I'm buying 4 doz of everything at once. (Plus, hubs is the bathroom guy and if I doubled his laundry duty he'd kill me.) But I know what you mean...I was given a 'hand towel' at a retreat. The woman sharing the room with me wrapped it around herself and tucked in the sides. Egads! But seriously, it was not a big towel. I want the towel to go all the way around me and I will wrap them around me in the store before I buy them. If they go all the way around with all the clothes on...sold!

Back