Pet Policy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
After our recent renovation of our cottage we've made the decision to allow pets. Dogs only. I know this could go very wrong, but it can also big a big money maker for us. The cottage is our most expensive room and I would like to get a higher occupancy for it. It's now got 100% washable floors and a lovely indoor/outdoor area rug that can easily be cleaned. We've had 3 reservations so far with dogs and all have been fine. We have a different set of linens for the bed, etc.
I don't want to make this thread a discussion of whether it's good to have pets or not because most of us know all the positive & negatives about that. What I'm looking for is a "nice" pet policy. We've set the rules that the dog must be leashed when outside the cottage on our property and they have to take the dog with them when they leave.We're charging a $30 per reservation pet fee. What else am I missing out and is there a cute or nice way of setting up those rules?
I would love to see anyone's policy that's willing to share!
Thanks!

Put up a nice trash can with lid (and bag inside) near the cottage's door. You can make or buy a bag holder to hold bags for picking up after the dog. When I had dogs, I used Walmart bags so it doesn't need to be ziplock, etc.
You don't want people stepping into it. Also design a spot to take the dogs since sometimes their urine will "burn" the grass.

Also keep some scruffy cloths available ie to wipe the dog with so they arn't using your towels etc and make sure they know as part of the checking in scpeel ie this is a bin with dog poo bags for your use and these are scruffy towels for if the dog gets muddy while you are out - if people are out of their natural environment and they don't know what to do they will do daft things - its all about pre-empting.

Put up a nice trash can with lid (and bag inside) near the cottage's door. You can make or buy a bag holder to hold bags for picking up after the dog. When I had dogs, I used Walmart bags so it doesn't need to be ziplock, etc.
You don't want people stepping into it. Also design a spot to take the dogs since sometimes their urine will "burn" the grass..
Good idea Duff!

Also keep some scruffy cloths available ie to wipe the dog with so they arn't using your towels etc and make sure they know as part of the checking in scpeel ie this is a bin with dog poo bags for your use and these are scruffy towels for if the dog gets muddy while you are out - if people are out of their natural environment and they don't know what to do they will do daft things - its all about pre-empting..
Thanks. Got the scruffy towels all set. These dogs will be running and swimming at the beach so will be in less than pristine condition during their stay. We already deal with lots of sand from our guests, so a little extra shouldn't be a big deal. No wet paws on the furniture though!

You don't want people stepping into it. Also design a spot to take the dogs since sometimes their urine will "burn" the grass..
that's true - we have a couple on another forum - the one thing they ask is that you don't let the dog wee on their front lawn for that reason - not that it ruddy stops them mind!

Breakfast Diva - we are not pet friendly so I can't give my list. But a Google search with bed & breakfast and pet policy brought up tons of places that are and you can peruse their pages and see what jumps out. Most are pretty straight forward lists though, I didn't see any real clever way to say it all on the first two pages of listings. I did notice many listed where the dogs ARE NOT TO BE WALKED to protect the lawn, sitting areas, etc. Good luck.

Here is one from those cabins at parks near us, which is no nonsense and to the point I will insert BD B&B in places to see how it reads:
Pets at BD B&B
One of the great things about BD B&B is that you can bring your four-legged loved ones along as well if you reserve the cottage. Fido can come too but, of course, there are limits.
Pets are allowed at BD B&B in the cottage. State regulations prohibit pets on public swim beaches and require pets to be confined or kept on a leash no longer than 6 feet and kept under supervision while at BD B&B.
To avoid potential inconvenience, we ask that you bring proof of current rabies vaccination.
There's an additional nightly charge per pet of $25 for their cottage stay (maximum of two dogs). Other guests may have pet allergies so we request you keep your pet out of other indoor common areas.
Unfortunately, some pets and their owners don't always consider other guests. Pet owners must clean up after their pets. If a pet is left unattended, becomes a nuisance in violation of the leash law, disturbs others by barking during quiet hours or damages the cottage, the owner's stay may be terminated without refund. The owner will be billed for any damage to the cottage or facilities caused by pets.
Assistance dogs are not considered pets hence are welcome in all facilities at no additional charge.

We put a stack of dog towels beside the door (clean but no longer nice enough for human guests) and point out where there are scooper bags and an outdoor garbage bin. In room, we use specific bedding and also put a water dish on a dog tray (kind of like a boot tray, a plastic mat with a rimmed edge to contain any drips).
You might consider your check-in procedure and if you need to adjust it for guests with dogs. Do guests usually come in to register or swipe a card? Where do you want their dog to be while you're doing that or is it not an issue? We tell guests in advance to leave their dog in their car while they come in to register and check-in. Otherwise, some will just walk into the house with their dog, not pausing to think whether or not the dog is allowed access there.

You can read more about how we do things here:
http://phineasswann.com/dog-friendly/we-love-your-pets-2/.
Thanks for sharing your pet page. Since you have been doing the pet/romantic room which is what I'm trying to do, I'm curious if you've had any negative feedback. Our cottage is the room that will be pet friendly, but it's also where our wedding couples mostly choose to stay. A lot of people consider a pet room as one that will be less than or smell like an animal. Just wondering if you've gotten any negatives from people who won't rent a pet room.

Here is one from those cabins at parks near us, which is no nonsense and to the point I will insert BD B&B in places to see how it reads:
Pets at BD B&B
One of the great things about BD B&B is that you can bring your four-legged loved ones along as well if you reserve the cottage. Fido can come too but, of course, there are limits.
Pets are allowed at BD B&B in the cottage. State regulations prohibit pets on public swim beaches and require pets to be confined or kept on a leash no longer than 6 feet and kept under supervision while at BD B&B.
To avoid potential inconvenience, we ask that you bring proof of current rabies vaccination.
There's an additional nightly charge per pet of $25 for their cottage stay (maximum of two dogs). Other guests may have pet allergies so we request you keep your pet out of other indoor common areas.
Unfortunately, some pets and their owners don't always consider other guests. Pet owners must clean up after their pets. If a pet is left unattended, becomes a nuisance in violation of the leash law, disturbs others by barking during quiet hours or damages the cottage, the owner's stay may be terminated without refund. The owner will be billed for any damage to the cottage or facilities caused by pets.
Assistance dogs are not considered pets hence are welcome in all facilities at no additional charge..
Thanks JB. I think I can use some of that and put my twist on it.

We put a stack of dog towels beside the door (clean but no longer nice enough for human guests) and point out where there are scooper bags and an outdoor garbage bin. In room, we use specific bedding and also put a water dish on a dog tray (kind of like a boot tray, a plastic mat with a rimmed edge to contain any drips).
You might consider your check-in procedure and if you need to adjust it for guests with dogs. Do guests usually come in to register or swipe a card? Where do you want their dog to be while you're doing that or is it not an issue? We tell guests in advance to leave their dog in their car while they come in to register and check-in. Otherwise, some will just walk into the house with their dog, not pausing to think whether or not the dog is allowed access there..
Good point happyjacks about the check in process! Because they'll be in a separate cottage I have to make sure they don't bring Fido into the main building.

Breakfast Diva - we are not pet friendly so I can't give my list. But a Google search with bed & breakfast and pet policy brought up tons of places that are and you can peruse their pages and see what jumps out. Most are pretty straight forward lists though, I didn't see any real clever way to say it all on the first two pages of listings. I did notice many listed where the dogs ARE NOT TO BE WALKED to protect the lawn, sitting areas, etc. Good luck..
Thanks MK, I'll check out some of those!
We have another Fido checking in today and I'll get to test out some of my rules the next couple of days.

Ask them if this is the dog first time away from home. If this is the first time the dog is out of town, expect accidents, barking, going crazy, hiding under furniture, etc. I don't care how well behaved that dog is…. and the ones that go on and on about how their dogs will never do…. They will!

Breakfast Diva - we are not pet friendly so I can't give my list. But a Google search with bed & breakfast and pet policy brought up tons of places that are and you can peruse their pages and see what jumps out. Most are pretty straight forward lists though, I didn't see any real clever way to say it all on the first two pages of listings. I did notice many listed where the dogs ARE NOT TO BE WALKED to protect the lawn, sitting areas, etc. Good luck..
We have another Fido checking in today and I'll get to test out some of my rules the next couple of days.
Breakfast Diva said:
Make them feel special, ask them what they have found and what they appreciate by way of rules. Being the only pet friendly room, is different to a handful of them. So I would think that would make it a little bit different. Allocated wee wee areas, etc.
If it were me, I would have a "dog frequent stay! program" for them. I would make it their favorite go to place, esp to explore a beach or hillsides, trails, and roaming areas nearby. It would be like a punch card.

Once you've made the decision to be permanently dog-friendly, I would suggest a listing on BringFido.com or some of the others. It's one of the few website listings we're on that gives us a positive ROI.

I don't remember their policies but one B&B had a 'Petiquette' page. I thought the name was cute.

Scarlet checked in last night with her human parents. Everyone including us is very happy and I must say that so far all the pet owners have been very respectful. They know that we are not seasoned with the pet option and I think that makes them even more cautious that they leave a good impression. There is NO b&b that I can think of within 1 1/2 hours in either direction from us that takes dogs. I think there will be a very big market for this.

Back