Pet Policy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breakfast Diva - we are not pet friendly so I can't give my list. But a Google search with bed & breakfast and pet policy brought up tons of places that are and you can peruse their pages and see what jumps out. Most are pretty straight forward lists though, I didn't see any real clever way to say it all on the first two pages of listings. I did notice many listed where the dogs ARE NOT TO BE WALKED to protect the lawn, sitting areas, etc. Good luck..
Thanks MK, I'll check out some of those!
We have another Fido checking in today and I'll get to test out some of my rules the next couple of days.
Breakfast Diva said:
We have another Fido checking in today and I'll get to test out some of my rules the next couple of days.
Make them feel special, ask them what they have found and what they appreciate by way of rules. Being the only pet friendly room, is different to a handful of them. So I would think that would make it a little bit different. Allocated wee wee areas, etc.
If it were me, I would have a "dog frequent stay! program" for them. I would make it their favorite go to place, esp to explore a beach or hillsides, trails, and roaming areas nearby. It would be like a punch card.
JBloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Make them feel special, ask them what they have found and what they appreciate by way of rules. Being the only pet friendly room, is different to a handful of them. So I would think that would make it a little bit different. Allocated wee wee areas, etc.
If it were me, I would have a "dog frequent stay! program" for them. I would make it their favorite go to place, esp to explore a beach or hillsides, trails, and roaming areas nearby. It would be like a punch card.
Good idea JB. I might think about eliminating the pet fee ($30) for any repeat guest because they've proven themselves responsible. They could then be in the 'Fido Club'.

Breakfast Diva - we are not pet friendly so I can't give my list. But a Google search with bed & breakfast and pet policy brought up tons of places that are and you can peruse their pages and see what jumps out. Most are pretty straight forward lists though, I didn't see any real clever way to say it all on the first two pages of listings. I did notice many listed where the dogs ARE NOT TO BE WALKED to protect the lawn, sitting areas, etc. Good luck..
Breakfast Diva said:
JBloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Good idea JB. I might think about eliminating the pet fee ($30) for any repeat guest because they've proven themselves responsible. They could then be in the 'Fido Club'.
Breakfast Diva said:
JBloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
A one time deposit or even a sliding scale with the # of stays. That would be appreciated.

Scarlet checked in last night with her human parents. Everyone including us is very happy and I must say that so far all the pet owners have been very respectful. They know that we are not seasoned with the pet option and I think that makes them even more cautious that they leave a good impression. There is NO b&b that I can think of within 1 1/2 hours in either direction from us that takes dogs. I think there will be a very big market for this..
Breakfast Diva said:
Scarlet checked in last night with her human parents. Everyone including us is very happy and I must say that so far all the pet owners have been very respectful. They know that we are not seasoned with the pet option and I think that makes them even more cautious that they leave a good impression. There is NO b&b that I can think of within 1 1/2 hours in either direction from us that takes dogs. I think there will be a very big market for this.
Being the only pet friendly room, it is like only child syndrome, if they don't pick up after their pet you will know who did it. But be warned, that will happen anyway. I admit that when you are in a woodsy setting it seems weird to have to go find that and pick it up, just being honest.

We put a stack of dog towels beside the door (clean but no longer nice enough for human guests) and point out where there are scooper bags and an outdoor garbage bin. In room, we use specific bedding and also put a water dish on a dog tray (kind of like a boot tray, a plastic mat with a rimmed edge to contain any drips).
You might consider your check-in procedure and if you need to adjust it for guests with dogs. Do guests usually come in to register or swipe a card? Where do you want their dog to be while you're doing that or is it not an issue? We tell guests in advance to leave their dog in their car while they come in to register and check-in. Otherwise, some will just walk into the house with their dog, not pausing to think whether or not the dog is allowed access there..
Good point happyjacks about the check in process! Because they'll be in a separate cottage I have to make sure they don't bring Fido into the main building.
At this time, I only state "small dogs with prior approval". That's the policy. That's it.
So far, all have asked for prior approval. Because all have picked up after their dogs without special scoopers or bags provided, and because most bring dog towels (I used to provide, but seems not needed) and there has been no pet damage, I have said yes to all who have asked, regardless of size of dog, sometimes even two. The cumulative history of good pet people has paved the way for the lenient policy here.
If the bad apple shows up, there will be a $25 pet fee plus deposit amount TBD required at time of booking. I love Petiquette" , and will try to remember to use that if things ever have to change.
The pet people have been the best, and as our floors and furnishings are similar to yours, even the finest hairiest of hair has not been onerous to remove.
After pet-people laundry is always done totally separately from other inn laundry, just to avoid possible migration of those very fine hairs!
Fingers crossed its a good fit for you. :)

Dogs as traveling companions are a big deal in the PNW here along I-5.
In 2015, 7% of our room nights were from pet owners booking one of our 2/5 pet friendly rooms. I haven't done the math, but I think that the dog guests have almost double the average rate of return bookings.
We have a $25 one time fee, covers the extra cleaning (vacuum all furniture, wash comforter cover, wipe down with dilute white vinegar, eliminate scent for future dogs)
We started with a bunch of rules: size, number, etc. Now we just ask that the guest confirm the pet booking by phone: that personal touch has eliminated all issues. It allows us to ask about crate training, whether they intend to leave dog (which is actually OK if we discuss it).
So: to be specific, my rules:
- can leave dog if he is comfortable in room, preferably in crate, we have your cell, you don't mistreat the dog and abandon it. I thought this would be a problem, it is not. Dogs are used to the drill
- don't need to be on leash if your dog is under your command (it runs away, floats down river, shot by neighbor, mauled by cougar: all on you)
- everybody is into crap pick up, got to have an outside place for it; I collect. That said, away from "house" landscaping, I don't care.
- dog barks and annoys me, I put it in the garage and feed it leftover Halloween candy bars until it passes out
Seriously: dogs are great guests. Their companion humans, well ... varies.

Dogs as traveling companions are a big deal in the PNW here along I-5.
In 2015, 7% of our room nights were from pet owners booking one of our 2/5 pet friendly rooms. I haven't done the math, but I think that the dog guests have almost double the average rate of return bookings.
We have a $25 one time fee, covers the extra cleaning (vacuum all furniture, wash comforter cover, wipe down with dilute white vinegar, eliminate scent for future dogs)
We started with a bunch of rules: size, number, etc. Now we just ask that the guest confirm the pet booking by phone: that personal touch has eliminated all issues. It allows us to ask about crate training, whether they intend to leave dog (which is actually OK if we discuss it).
So: to be specific, my rules:
- can leave dog if he is comfortable in room, preferably in crate, we have your cell, you don't mistreat the dog and abandon it. I thought this would be a problem, it is not. Dogs are used to the drill
- don't need to be on leash if your dog is under your command (it runs away, floats down river, shot by neighbor, mauled by cougar: all on you)
- everybody is into crap pick up, got to have an outside place for it; I collect. That said, away from "house" landscaping, I don't care.
- dog barks and annoys me, I put it in the garage and feed it leftover Halloween candy bars until it passes out
Seriously: dogs are great guests. Their companion humans, well ... varies..
true - know a lady on another forum is very near crufts (MASSIVE national dog showing competition) has to lay down the numbers law as one lady turned up with 5 Afghan hounds and proceeded to wash them all in the bath -for those that don't know they are the BIG dogs with long flowing blond hair - it was everywhere!

Listen if you have outside entrances I would go for the dog demographic. I would cater to dogs, I would sell dog birthday getaways, gourmet dog dinners and more as addons. I would do it. I would go for it. WOOF!
People spend a lot of money on their pets. Do you want those who spend a lot of money on them, or those who don't want to spend any money on them for the overnight pet fee? That is what I would sort out. Is it easier to take them with than kennel them, or are they a cherished part of the family? Get their bday, send them cards in the mail when they bring their parents with them they get a free (whatever).
regular_smile.gif

Listen if you have outside entrances I would go for the dog demographic. I would cater to dogs, I would sell dog birthday getaways, gourmet dog dinners and more as addons. I would do it. I would go for it. WOOF!
People spend a lot of money on their pets. Do you want those who spend a lot of money on them, or those who don't want to spend any money on them for the overnight pet fee? That is what I would sort out. Is it easier to take them with than kennel them, or are they a cherished part of the family? Get their bday, send them cards in the mail when they bring their parents with them they get a free (whatever).
regular_smile.gif
definitely doggy add ons! - its not like chew toys go off

We always charged for the dog. A one-time fee each stay. That included a printed guide book of dog parks, treats for the dog, pooper scooper bags, bowls for water and food (with a tray underneath), bedding for the dog, towels for the dog. There is a lot of cleaning involved with the extra laundry and vacuuming and roller brushing all the furniture. Area rugs need to be freshened and the dogs WILL be on the furniture. Dogs have been in the car on the same ratty old blanket in and out of the water for a week and guests bring those ratty blankets in the room. Oy!
I think I mentioned why we now only take legacy dogs (they've been coming here for years or their people have come with other dogs) - too many people now travel with their pets who should not even have a pet. Too much damage to the rooms, too long a cleaning process, a marked lack of respect for the simple rules.
We have another B&B now that takes pets in all 7 rooms at the same time. She is doing a land office biz with that and kids.
It just got too stressful for me.
Here's the letter my dog 'wrote' to the incoming dogs:
Woof!
Greetings fellow canine!
Just a quick note from the resident Inn dog, B. Between you and me, I know we can sometimes sneak things by our people that they wouldn't want us to do.
With that in mind, I'm going to ask you, dog to dog, to please not jump on the furniture or chew anything that doesn't belong to you. If you are stressed and you bark, then I'll get stressed too. Please don't let your people leave you alone in the room. If you always sleep on the bed at your house (lucky dog!) my mom will give you a quilt to throw on the bed. The towel is in case you get all muddy, so you can wipe your paws, or dry off if it's raining.My mom also puts out some bowls for your food and water and, when she thinks I'm not looking, she grabs some of my treats for you, too. Yum!
My people don't allow me in the guest rooms, I have to stay here in my apartment. Hopefully, I''ll get to see you outside! Please don't jump on me, I'm old and I get grumpy. If you find one of my tennis balls, it's ok with me if you play with it.
The inside scoop...please tell your people to pick up after you around the yard and in town, too. Scooper bags should be thrown in the trash can behind the black lattice door. If you run out, my mom has more.
My favorite walks...there is a great new park down B St. It will take about 20 minutes to get there walking from here. (Great smells along the way and sometimes a kid with an ice cream cone will be in front of D's. Oops, I'm not supposed to tell you that.) Walk down M St and turn left on B St. Keep walking until the sidewalk ends at the B St Market (really good donuts if you can get your people to buy one for you!) and then go a little farther on the same side of the road until you see the blacktop path. The path goes in a big loop through the woods...lots of squirrels...oh boy!
Hope you have a good time at my house!
Essentially the rules were to not leave the dog alone in the room and to pick up after the dog. Some people brought kennels and wanted to leave the dog during the day. We said no. Leave the dog in your car (not in the summer). We did have guests whose dogs we knew (still do) and it was ok if they left the dogs in the kennels as the dogs were old and just slept. (We made all of this clear before taking the reservation.)
NO PUPPIES! The dogs had to be over 7-8 months. We recommended the kennel cough vaccine (bordatella) so our dog would not get sick. Also recommended tick and flea meds be used as the ticks here are vicious.

We have had no problem with Fur Kids - dogs only. The dogs are amazing, some of the owners.....
We list our guidelines at "Bed & Bark @ Glacier Park
http://glacierparkbb.com/bed--bark.html

Back