Petitions filed to bar B&B's from districts (Virginia)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my... so hasn't the B & B already on that street been a good neighbor or what? You would think people would understand this since there already is one on the street...oh well. :-(...guess not.
I can see if lots of people wanted to open one...but heck only one had applied and withdrew. So what is the deal? IT is not like 50 people are applying to open a B & B. This town needs all the income and business it can get. I don't think they have to worry with the economy the way it is now...who is going to start one??? Unless it is someone already in a home there.

Must be some town big mouth with pull who started the anti-B&B campaign. When we bought this house, our next door neighbors confessed that they were concerned about traffic and noise. They are in and out of their driveway 40 times a day...far more than any traffic caused by our guests...and we are the quietest place within earshot of this location.
ETA: Why a town would not welcome a nice lodging establishment is beyond me. We all know that our guests contribute mightily to the area economy...they enable us to make money, pay taxes and buy lots of groceries and cleaning supplies and whatnot; they shop in the local stores, eat in the restaurants, gas up at the gas stations...in this economy, every new business in town is a blessing!

You know this is an area (the issue, not location) where PAii could have some real impact. We have all heard this before...even when we were wanting to establish a B&B in our own towns.
PAii could really step in here and be THE voice of the industry... Have data that supports our industry open and available on their site - more than the info that is on the 'B&B Industry' page. This data should provide statistics on how B&B's affect the city, the economy and the neighborhoods which they are in. Make this very well known in state CVB's as well as state B&B associations as a go to source.
When we were requesting our permit 11 years ago, we did extensive research to provide in our behalf. We knew there was opposition, we needed to provide data that nixed that opposition. We spoke to the state B&B association but they really did not suppy us with any assistance.
PAii is making itself known in this area by assisting in the current issues NYC B&B's have found themselves in in the last few months.

Waynesboro is still a relatively unattractive little town about 20 minutes west of Charlottesville. You would think they would welcome any business that brings in tax dollars. They do have a darling B&B in town named Belle Hearth.
But frankly, there is little there to do, very little shopping (they had a wonderful store selling beautiful local artists' work, but with the economy that has closed) and little, if any, good dining ( I see one restaurant that looks good advertised on tv. Ugly location - right next to Lowes and Home Depot...). I can't think of anyone wanting to stay there except for when there are big events in Charlottesville and no rooms left there to book.
They are shooting themselves in the foot. There was a resident on the news stating that "if I were planning to build a garage, for example, I'd go next door and check if it's okay with my neighbor. A B&B would not do that"
Oh SURE you would. I've never heard of ANYWHERE where someone didn't do an addition because their neighbor objected!!!!
They are in the dark ages.
RIki

Waynesboro is still a relatively unattractive little town about 20 minutes west of Charlottesville. You would think they would welcome any business that brings in tax dollars. They do have a darling B&B in town named Belle Hearth.
But frankly, there is little there to do, very little shopping (they had a wonderful store selling beautiful local artists' work, but with the economy that has closed) and little, if any, good dining ( I see one restaurant that looks good advertised on tv. Ugly location - right next to Lowes and Home Depot...). I can't think of anyone wanting to stay there except for when there are big events in Charlottesville and no rooms left there to book.
They are shooting themselves in the foot. There was a resident on the news stating that "if I were planning to build a garage, for example, I'd go next door and check if it's okay with my neighbor. A B&B would not do that"
Oh SURE you would. I've never heard of ANYWHERE where someone didn't do an addition because their neighbor objected!!!!
RIki.
Yeah the town has totally gone down hill. I remember when it had a huge outlet mall there many many years ago...such a shame. I told the association Pres and ED about the article. They are going to contact the town.

RIki.
Yeah the town has totally gone down hill. I remember when it had a huge outlet mall there many many years ago...such a shame. I told the association Pres and ED about the article. They are going to contact the town.
catlady said:
They actually did do a good job in renovating the main street which is something like 4 blocks long? Belle Hearth is just a few blocks west of downtown and is a beautiful old building and has a swimming pool out back. I don't know if they are in this district that the locals think needs protection, but the streets are wide with huge lovely houses.
Now, except for a B&B who can afford to take care of these big beautiful buildings? I can't see many wealthy people wanting to live in Waynesboro. It's just a town on the way to Staunton from Charlottesville.
They could take a page from the playbook that Staunton is using. They are working hard to promote their town and are doing a good job!
Riki

RIki.
catlady said:
They actually did do a good job in renovating the main street which is something like 4 blocks long? Belle Hearth is just a few blocks west of downtown and is a beautiful old building and has a swimming pool out back. I don't know if they are in this district that the locals think needs protection, but the streets are wide with huge lovely houses.
Now, except for a B&B who can afford to take care of these big beautiful buildings? I can't see many wealthy people wanting to live in Waynesboro. It's just a town on the way to Staunton from Charlottesville.
They could take a page from the playbook that Staunton is using. They are working hard to promote their town and are doing a good job!
Riki
egoodell said:
This article was in the news today from Staunton. The Belle Grae was a Select Registry inn at one time. We looked at a place in Staunton but thought there were too many B&Bs for the potential business there. A few have closed since then, including the one we looked at which sold as a private residence.

Yes, when times were good too many B&Bs opened in Staunton. And they have suffered from the recession. But they are fighting back. There is not enough tourism there yet, though for all the B&Bs plus the big hotel that they renovated.
Vineyards are starting to pop up on that side of the mountain from Charlottesville. But it's going to be years before they become a destination location. But they're working hard at it.
RIki

Back