Pets in inns? Yes or no?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pet peeve is B&B owners who don't tell you they have pets for you to take care of while you are Inn-sitting - what if I was allergic?

My pet peeve is B&B owners who don't tell you they have pets for you to take care of while you are Inn-sitting - what if I was allergic?.
That's weird. Almost like parents who forget they have kids! What if it was a cat that liked to hide? You'd never know. My parents will watch my brother's cats and they (the cats, not my parents) never come out of the basement. My parents put down food, it gets eaten, they never see the cats.
I probably wouldn't leave me dog here, she'd stress over some strange being in her space.

My pet peeve is B&B owners who don't tell you they have pets for you to take care of while you are Inn-sitting - what if I was allergic?.
Whaa? One of the biggies for my innsitters is to be sure my dog is not scared of them. Mine are saints. It took them over four visits to win him over (abuse victim).
One of the main reasons to have an innsitter is so I don't have to kennel him!!!!
Riki

When we finally had to say goodbye to our dog (the one DH did not want to get but I got for the kids - and DH was the most broken up of all of us), we decided to not have another due to fleas (constant battle), wlalks, the move, etc. It was a REAL stretch when the Duchess brought a cat!
That said, when we opened as a B & B we kept it no pets - for us or guests because of the allergy issue (after the Duchess left I became violently allergic to cats, can't breathe if much contact) and because I do not want FiFi decorating my carpets or my yard. I do like dogs but just do not want to deal with someone else's.
Any inn with a family pet just needs to make it clear the pet is in residence in my not very humble opinion so the guest can make the decision to book or not. I do think there could be a LOT of issues between the resident pet and any interlopers - and not necessarily on the part of the resident. There are some nasty litlle dogs out there who RULE wherever they happen to be and your Fido had just better accept it! I do not think Fido should have to accept it. Afterall, HE lives here.

As a Pet Friendly B&B for six years, I can tell you that pet-related problems were NEVER the pet...ALWAYS the pet's owner. The pet destroying anything or tinkling inside was never an issue. That all being said, we (at least for the time being) do not accept pets, as the last lady cheesed me off so bad.

When we finally had to say goodbye to our dog (the one DH did not want to get but I got for the kids - and DH was the most broken up of all of us), we decided to not have another due to fleas (constant battle), wlalks, the move, etc. It was a REAL stretch when the Duchess brought a cat!
That said, when we opened as a B & B we kept it no pets - for us or guests because of the allergy issue (after the Duchess left I became violently allergic to cats, can't breathe if much contact) and because I do not want FiFi decorating my carpets or my yard. I do like dogs but just do not want to deal with someone else's.
Any inn with a family pet just needs to make it clear the pet is in residence in my not very humble opinion so the guest can make the decision to book or not. I do think there could be a LOT of issues between the resident pet and any interlopers - and not necessarily on the part of the resident. There are some nasty litlle dogs out there who RULE wherever they happen to be and your Fido had just better accept it! I do not think Fido should have to accept it. Afterall, HE lives here..
We make it very clear we have a dog but people don't read. It does not matter as our apartment is the upstairs and he also has the run down the private stairs into the basement if he gets hot.
But many don't realize he is there.
I only bring him out to the common area for guests who are going through "doggie withrawal" and need to pet something furry.
Riki

Any inn with a family pet just needs to make it clear the pet is in residence in my not very humble opinion so the guest can make the decision to book or not. I do think there could be a LOT of issues between the resident pet and any interlopers - and not necessarily on the part of the resident. There are some nasty litlle dogs out there who RULE wherever they happen to be and your Fido had just better accept it! I do not think Fido should have to accept it. Afterall, HE lives here..
We make it very clear we have a dog but people don't read. It does not matter as our apartment is the upstairs and he also has the run down the private stairs into the basement if he gets hot.
But many don't realize he is there.
I only bring him out to the common area for guests who are going through "doggie withrawal" and need to pet something furry.
Riki
I ended up slapping a photo of the dog on the homepage of my website. But, as I mention frequently, many guests do not find my website, they just find the phone number and call, so they don't see her smiling mug.

The problem with pets is that they are just not really inn-friendly, no matter how pet-friendly the inn may strive to be.
And I say that as a petlover who has nothing but warm thoughts of the places that allowed my animal to stay with me, back in the day when I still had pets.
But as an innkeeper, I always prefer working at places that don't allow pets because of the additional cleaning and potential trouble that visiting pets bring.
As for owners who don't talk about the pet care right up front with an innsitter before the innsitter commits to the place and sets a rate, well, they are PITAs in the same way as guests who withold basic info. Shame on them. They might burn me once but the chances I'd go back to work again at a place that showed such disregard would be nil.
I personally love it when the owner's pets are there for me to enjoy. I'm an animal lover. But it is added work and every innsitter should know just what they're getting into BEFORE they set a rate. You just can't assume that everyone loves pets. Not every innsitter wants the additional burden.

The problem with pets is that they are just not really inn-friendly, no matter how pet-friendly the inn may strive to be.
And I say that as a petlover who has nothing but warm thoughts of the places that allowed my animal to stay with me, back in the day when I still had pets.
But as an innkeeper, I always prefer working at places that don't allow pets because of the additional cleaning and potential trouble that visiting pets bring.
As for owners who don't talk about the pet care right up front with an innsitter before the innsitter commits to the place and sets a rate, well, they are PITAs in the same way as guests who withold basic info. Shame on them. They might burn me once but the chances I'd go back to work again at a place that showed such disregard would be nil.
I personally love it when the owner's pets are there for me to enjoy. I'm an animal lover. But it is added work and every innsitter should know just what they're getting into BEFORE they set a rate. You just can't assume that everyone loves pets. Not every innsitter wants the additional burden..
Innkeeper To Go said:
'm an animal lover. But it is added work and every innsitter should know just what they're getting into BEFORE they set a rate. You just can't assume that everyone loves pets. Not every innsitter wants the additional burden.

I absolutely agree. The reason ours is popular is he is older and lazy. Give him a couple of treats and a walk (5 min) in the morning. Take him outside for two minutes midday. Drag him out for a walk (5 min) and feed in the evening. Otherwise just tickle as you walk by. He'll be in our bed with all four legs straight up in the air otherwise.

Riki

I personally love it when the owner's pets are there for me to enjoy. I'm an animal lover. But it is added work and every innsitter should know just what they're getting into BEFORE they set a rate. You just can't assume that everyone loves pets. Not every innsitter wants the additional burden..
Innkeeper To Go said:
'm an animal lover. But it is added work and every innsitter should know just what they're getting into BEFORE they set a rate. You just can't assume that everyone loves pets. Not every innsitter wants the additional burden.

I absolutely agree. The reason ours is popular is he is older and lazy. Give him a couple of treats and a walk (5 min) in the morning. Take him outside for two minutes midday. Drag him out for a walk (5 min) and feed in the evening. Otherwise just tickle as you walk by. He'll be in our bed with all four legs straight up in the air otherwise.

Riki
What a sweetie. And a good reason to stick with your current innsitters while you still have him around.
It's really stressful for older animals to lose their human companions, even for a few days. It really helps if their caretaker is someone they have already bonded with.

Innkeeper To Go said:

Riki
What a sweetie. And a good reason to stick with your current innsitters while you still have him around.
It's really stressful for older animals to lose their human companions, even for a few days. It really helps if their caretaker is someone they have already bonded with.
Innkeeper To Go said:
He is actually really fine so long as you have the chicken stick cookie thingies...
Riki

Innkeeper To Go said:

Riki
Innkeeper To Go said:
He is actually really fine so long as you have the chicken stick cookie thingies...
Riki
Yes, having the right treats always helps. I know some really old dogs who just love Puparoni. I always have some in my pocket to break off in bits. Folks wonder why dogs at the beach always become my friends right away. I know it's the bits of puparoni always in my pocket. To the unsuspecting, though, I must look like the Pied Piper of dogs.

We don't accept pets but now have two cats but when we had the Inn we only had one and mentioned it on our website and Ozzy never went to the side where the guests where when we where open. If someone had severe allergies it didn't really matter because we had the guest house that NEVER had any pets in it.
Never had a complaints about the cat, we also have 2 dogs but they are outside in their own fenced area. I would not accept pets for the simple reason that other guests may be allergic or not like them.
I'm a pet lover though more towards cats than dogs

I find it strange that in the past week I have have two different groups reserve online and then in the comments section state that they will be bringing their well trained well behaved cat with them. Our policies strictly state no pets. No you cannot bring your lovely cat. One of them, after I replied back no pets as stated in our policies actually phoned us and spent a good 10 minutes on the phone trying to convince me they had the best pet in the world. No. there is a pet kennel just down the road but no she would never do that to her cat.

I find it strange that in the past week I have have two different groups reserve online and then in the comments section state that they will be bringing their well trained well behaved cat with them. Our policies strictly state no pets. No you cannot bring your lovely cat. One of them, after I replied back no pets as stated in our policies actually phoned us and spent a good 10 minutes on the phone trying to convince me they had the best pet in the world. No. there is a pet kennel just down the road but no she would never do that to her cat..
Victoria said:
I find it strange that in the past week I have have two different groups reserve online and then in the comments section state that they will be bringing their well trained well behaved cat with them. Our policies strictly state no pets. No you cannot bring your lovely cat. One of them, after I replied back no pets as stated in our policies actually phoned us and spent a good 10 minutes on the phone trying to convince me they had the best pet in the world. No. there is a pet kennel just down the road but no she would never do that to her cat.
I love our cat. She is 18 years old now. She is the best cat in the world. Why just this morning she upchucked all her kibbles (I heard her and in stealth speed lifted her off the bed just in time for her to projectile vomit all over a chair and area rug) wonderful pets, just lovely aren't they.

we have two rabbits who are very good with people cos ever since there were babies they have been handled by all and sundry. Have had guests ask to have their picture taken with them which the boys as I call them don't mind. They live outside in hutches in the warmish weather and then in the basement during the cold weather and in a lot of ways they are ok if we go away as you just have to fill up their food and water which is done by my mum. I always think if you run a place that takes pets as long as you are clear about it then its fine or if you are not pets which most places are then thats fine to. I trust the animals but not the owners.

Pets in B&B's-
  • Owner pets if they are not allowed in the guest areas and do not run to the car to greet the guests or rub up against the guests;
  • Guest pets if the B&B owners are extremely conscientious about cleaning;
  • Dogs only (from my POV as an owner);
  • Absolutely no pets in the dining room unless we're talking a fish tank.
Sorry, just noticed the date on this.

Back