Pets vs Service Dogs. What is the difference?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to this thread for this image on the sidebar
31GTDJP00ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Joey Bloggs said:
Cute! needs more mustard btw.

The questions I still get confused on is if the bed and breakfast has 5 rooms or less and is owner occupoied it is exempt from ADA. I take this to understand that a bed and breakfast with 5 or fewer rooms would not need to have an elevator or ramps installed. In most old homes it may not work anyways. The part I am not clear on is if a bed and breakfast is exempt from ADA does that mean they are exempt from allowing a service animal in?.
oceans said:
The questions I still get confused on is if the bed and breakfast has 5 rooms or less and is owner occupoied it is exempt from ADA. I take this to understand that a bed and breakfast with 5 or fewer rooms would not need to have an elevator or ramps installed. In most old homes it may not work anyways. The part I am not clear on is if a bed and breakfast is exempt from ADA does that mean they are exempt from allowing a service animal in?
From what I understand we are NOT exempt. So long as you are a business renting rooms to the public you are not exempt.
Riki
Right,
no business open to the public is exempt from ADA. As a private residence open as a B&B with 5 rooms or less, we may not have to comply with certain requirements in ADA Architecural Guidelines (ramps, elevator, etc.) but we have to make any other reasonable accomodation to anyone wishing to patronize the estableshment, which would include allowing a service dog.
BTW, we built from scratch and used ADAAG as a voluntary good practice design guide, works fairly well with a contemporary look: wider corridors, 36" doors, lever style door handles, elevator (3 stories), varying access in bathrooms. We don't meet strict ADAAG, but the increase mobility has been valuable to guests, even just those stiff in the joints. It was a business decision.
but the increase mobility has been valuable to guests, even just those stiff in the joints
That is why we installed "handicap height" toilets. I know my knees appreciate it.

The questions I still get confused on is if the bed and breakfast has 5 rooms or less and is owner occupoied it is exempt from ADA. I take this to understand that a bed and breakfast with 5 or fewer rooms would not need to have an elevator or ramps installed. In most old homes it may not work anyways. The part I am not clear on is if a bed and breakfast is exempt from ADA does that mean they are exempt from allowing a service animal in?.
oceans said:
The questions I still get confused on is if the bed and breakfast has 5 rooms or less and is owner occupoied it is exempt from ADA. I take this to understand that a bed and breakfast with 5 or fewer rooms would not need to have an elevator or ramps installed. In most old homes it may not work anyways. The part I am not clear on is if a bed and breakfast is exempt from ADA does that mean they are exempt from allowing a service animal in?
From what I understand we are NOT exempt. So long as you are a business renting rooms to the public you are not exempt.
Riki
Right,
no business open to the public is exempt from ADA. As a private residence open as a B&B with 5 rooms or less, we may not have to comply with certain requirements in ADA Architecural Guidelines (ramps, elevator, etc.) but we have to make any other reasonable accomodation to anyone wishing to patronize the estableshment, which would include allowing a service dog.
BTW, we built from scratch and used ADAAG as a voluntary good practice design guide, works fairly well with a contemporary look: wider corridors, 36" doors, lever style door handles, elevator (3 stories), varying access in bathrooms. We don't meet strict ADAAG, but the increase mobility has been valuable to guests, even just those stiff in the joints. It was a business decision.
but the increase mobility has been valuable to guests, even just those stiff in the joints
That is why we installed "handicap height" toilets. I know my knees appreciate it.
gillumhouse said:
K, we just made the change and boy I even feel the difference.

oceans said:
Riki
Right,
Tom said:
Right,
We did the same, and there are also portable little ramps available to help people wheel in and out of rooms that may have a lip or a step. We have a brother in a wheelchair. I can't afford to formally do it but we work hard to be "wheelchair friendly" which has helped in the past. We had a daughter book her parents and mention her mother was "a little handicapped". Imagine my surprise when she arrived in a wheelchair! I think she was so low maintenance her daughter forgets her handicap. She was lovely.
Riki

oceans said:
Riki
Right,
Tom said:
Right,
We did the same, and there are also portable little ramps available to help people wheel in and out of rooms that may have a lip or a step. We have a brother in a wheelchair. I can't afford to formally do it but we work hard to be "wheelchair friendly" which has helped in the past. We had a daughter book her parents and mention her mother was "a little handicapped". Imagine my surprise when she arrived in a wheelchair! I think she was so low maintenance her daughter forgets her handicap. She was lovely.
Riki
To set the stage:: DH had polio when he was 12 and has worn a full-leg brace ever since. In 1978 we went to Colorado to visit one of his boyhooed friends and his wife (they had moved to Colorado in 1972 so she also knew DH well).
We were driving around the area and needed something at a Mall. DH pulls into a Handicap Parking place and Karen said, "John, you can'e park here. This is for Handicapped!" He looked at her and said, "What do you think this thing on my leg is - a Christmas tree ornament?" We all laughed but it took me another 4 years to get him to apply for the window hanger.

I think it is all our interests to appeal to as broad a number of groups as possible. Welcome to Yorkshire (they provide all sorts of info on tourism and so on to us) say that the disabled guest is the most under marketed to group and they tend to stay away longer and in their home country. So we say we are disabled friendly if we cannot be fully disabled compliant. For example extra large shower stall with seat provided to sit on while in the shower. 2 Ground floor rooms we serve breakfast in the upstairs lounge on the ground floor so people don't need to go down any steps from their room just accross the landing or room service. We also supply large print guest information and help any way we can. Although we don't serve dinner we keep on hand disabled friendly places to dine or we allow food to be delivered. We also have grab rails and non slip bathmats in all the bathrooms as they are both helpful to people who need the help and helpful to preventing accidents. DH said I was over cautious with the non slip mats till we went away and he slipped in the bath and banged all his side and his head LOL I told him so!

Joey Bloggs said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Joey Bloggs said:
"Mustard" always reminds of a W.C.Fields line... "I et 'em. He was mighty good with mustard!"
Thanks for the smile.

Back