Phone Call... Your CC has been compromised!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
We have a card for the business that I use for paying business related expenses. Today, I get a call from the bank (BMO) to tell me that the card has been compromised and they want to send me a new one. I'm delighted... the rep is shocked. I think it's so nice of a bank to call me immediately to tell me that the card has been compromised and that they are going to send me a new card. Apparently not everyone thinks this way. Maybe it's because when other banks have found my card to be compromised they have just cancelled the card and left me in the lurch.
It's so nice to find out. Of course, I won't have a new card until Thursday or Friday, but at least I know that they are watching out. (And I went through the transactions with him to ensure that all the transactions are real... they were.) It's nice to see a bank being proactive. Now, if they can only put a chip on that card...

I had a call like that 2 weeks ago on the card I use for the B & B. It was a charge of $1.69 from the UK. They called, we cancelled the card and I got the new one a week later.

They told me that it was a merchant that was compromised. So it's someone that I do business with as a B&B.

A couple of years ago I used my card on a trip to Paris. A week after I got back home the CC company called and said there had been a charge on my card for tickets to Euro Disney! Before I left home I had told the CC company my departure and return dates, and their smart computers recognized that the Disney charge was placed after I was supposed to be home.
Indeed it was a fraudulent charge. They removed it, canceled my CC number and sent me a new one. I, too, was delighted that they took care of business this way, although of course, I realize they are protecting themselves more than they are protecting me.
I've always wondered who ate the CC charge. Disney or Citibank. At least it didn't cost me a cent!

A couple of years ago I used my card on a trip to Paris. A week after I got back home the CC company called and said there had been a charge on my card for tickets to Euro Disney! Before I left home I had told the CC company my departure and return dates, and their smart computers recognized that the Disney charge was placed after I was supposed to be home.
Indeed it was a fraudulent charge. They removed it, canceled my CC number and sent me a new one. I, too, was delighted that they took care of business this way, although of course, I realize they are protecting themselves more than they are protecting me.
I've always wondered who ate the CC charge. Disney or Citibank. At least it didn't cost me a cent!.
Arkansawyer said:
I've always wondered who ate the CC charge. Disney or Citibank. At least it didn't cost me a cent!
The bank, or should I say more appropriately - all of us, as it is though the interest and fees etc. that they have built in that cover this.

I've always wondered who ate the CC charge. Disney or Citibank. At least it didn't cost me a cent!.
I finally got the documents for the chargeback from fraud. I asked them if they want the picture of the criminal as well as his modus operandi. They said they don't bother. Odd.

They told me that it was a merchant that was compromised. So it's someone that I do business with as a B&B..
when its that kind of thing I wonder if they cancel every person who dealt with that trader just in case. Thing is with most of these fraud things it costs more than the fraud to take them to court so they don't bother.

Check Eric's story on the guy who used someone else's card. Someone else called his cc and now Eric is dealing with a charge of fraud and a chargeback. The cc companies SAY they lose money and I'm sure they do, but it's the vendor who took the card that loses the most.

Happened to us about a month ago. Apparently, the fraud did a "test" charge of $1 to see if the card would accept it before making a major purchase. The CC company (Chase) called us, reviewed our charges to check legitimacy and subsequently issued us a new card. We never found out who had compromised our card but it could have been any number of internet transactions for the B+B.

Check Eric's story on the guy who used someone else's card. Someone else called his cc and now Eric is dealing with a charge of fraud and a chargeback. The cc companies SAY they lose money and I'm sure they do, but it's the vendor who took the card that loses the most.
You are correct. I'm losing four nights in total. Two other B&Bs in Montreal have also lost. (I've spoken to them) and a food ordering place seems to have lost the most.
The worst part is that I can see that an airline ticket was purchased, so the person had to put in their REAL name and the airline should have his passport number. (Swissair for CAD$635.68). A few places in Paris and istopover.com as well (which appears to be an airBnB ripoff)

You are correct. I'm losing four nights in total. Two other B&Bs in Montreal have also lost. (I've spoken to them) and a food ordering place seems to have lost the most.
The worst part is that I can see that an airline ticket was purchased, so the person had to put in their REAL name and the airline should have his passport number. (Swissair for CAD$635.68). A few places in Paris and istopover.com as well (which appears to be an airBnB ripoff)
Have you made any changes to your policies in light of this event? 4 nights is a lot to lose. I don't always change policies for a one off, but this sort of thing happens more than we want to think about given that almost everyone here has had a story of their cc number being compromised online.

Have you made any changes to your policies in light of this event? 4 nights is a lot to lose. I don't always change policies for a one off, but this sort of thing happens more than we want to think about given that almost everyone here has had a story of their cc number being compromised online.
Yes and no. We don't often offer prepaid deals, so most of the time my transactions are card-in-hand. I don't take deposits either. But when and if we do offer another prepaid deal, they will be told that we will require that card to be present at check-in and they will need to sign. (The only transactions that I usually process without card-in-hand are cancellations and no-show.)
That being said, I learnt a few lessons that will likely mean that I won't run that kind of special again. But if I do....The prepaid offer is only available if you book over 30 days in advance. I had only one reservation that cancelled and in spite of the fact that everything cleary said "NO REFUNDS, NO CANCELLATION" they still asked me if I would give them "consideration" in the future.

They told me that it was a merchant that was compromised. So it's someone that I do business with as a B&B..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
They told me that it was a merchant that was compromised. So it's someone that I do business with as a B&B.
I got the same call yesterday... FM bank here in Ohio... they said the card is still good, keep using it, but when the new debit card comes with a new number on it then destroy the old one. They said that a merchant's card processor was compromised. I'm thinking if it was the card processor, then that's a LOT of cards at risk!
=)
Kk.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I got the same call yesterday... FM bank here in Ohio... they said the card is still good, keep using it, but when the new debit card comes with a new number on it then destroy the old one. They said that a merchant's card processor was compromised. I'm thinking if it was the card processor, then that's a LOT of cards at risk!
=)
Kk.
Yup, but it's the ONLY card that I have had this with. So, could it be bb.com?

Eric Arthur Blair said:
=)
Kk.
Could also be anywhere you shopped a couple of weeks ago in the US.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
=)
Kk.
But that's the point, we don't use this card in hand very much at all. It's mostly the monthly B&B transactions. The reason I thought it might be bb.com is that there was a hiccup with them in the last month. The only recurring bill that did have a hiccup.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
=)
Kk.
But that's the point, we don't use this card in hand very much at all. It's mostly the monthly B&B transactions. The reason I thought it might be bb.com is that there was a hiccup with them in the last month. The only recurring bill that did have a hiccup.
Well, if it was them, a few more of us may have to worry. I guess I should keep an eye on the cc acct.

I don't use bb.com...
But at least with what they told me, it's not the merchant, it's the merchant's processor.
Kk.

mind you one to watch which we didn't have but an accountant at a hotel I worked at did told me about - A chap comes to the door - Can I book a double room? Im visiting my mother and she is going to pay for it? yes we have a double - Right ill just get her on the phone so she can give you all the card details - lovely - She does - However it is actually the girlfriend in the car down the street on her mobile with a stolen card.

I don't use bb.com...
But at least with what they told me, it's not the merchant, it's the merchant's processor.
Kk..
we had a similar problem a while back with TKMax which is a national clothing chain their computer was hacked and they stole millions of card numbers - they got into serious trouble as you arn't supposed to store them in their complete details by law anyway!

Back