Phone cramming

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Just to let you know an innkeeping friend was 'crammed' last month. They received an email this morning stating they were being charged $30/month for a new website. These scammers get the charges put on your phone bill, so check your phone bills closely. The website for the crammers is an invalid URL so it appears the only way to contact them is thru a phone call, which they tape and then splice to make it appear you are agreeing to the charges.
Googling the company name brings up a couple of sites for complaining about being scammed. But not the actual company website.
The company in question is (spaces put in intentionally): m y u s b o . c o m
Full name: u s b organization inc

Was teh cahrge made to their phone bill? If it was, were they able to get it removed?

Was teh cahrge made to their phone bill? If it was, were they able to get it removed?.
They just got the email stating they'd had a new website designed and that they'd be charged the $30/month. I don't think it's hit their phone bill yet.

Does this happen to ALL phone bills, or just land lines? We only have cellular phones - haven't had land lines in about 10 years now. In other words...do I have to be on the lookout for this?

Was teh cahrge made to their phone bill? If it was, were they able to get it removed?.
They just got the email stating they'd had a new website designed and that they'd be charged the $30/month. I don't think it's hit their phone bill yet.
The phone companies are spectacularly unresponsive in getting these charges removed. It's happened to us once - because my DH is too frickin' nice to telemarketers - and that's exactly what they did. When he called them to complain they played a tape of him 'agreeing' to the service, when what he agreed to was to receive information. The phone company essentially said they wouldn't remove the charge without the company's ok, but we got it removed after the first month. We ended up paying the first month charge, though.

The phone companies are spectacularly unresponsive in getting these charges removed. It's happened to us once - because my DH is too frickin' nice to telemarketers - and that's exactly what they did. When he called them to complain they played a tape of him 'agreeing' to the service, when what he agreed to was to receive information. The phone company essentially said they wouldn't remove the charge without the company's ok, but we got it removed after the first month. We ended up paying the first month charge, though.
What I don't get is why there is this HUGE loophole in the phone company's billing process. It would be like someone contacting my electric utilities and saying, 'Yes, I have here on tape where they said they also wished to receive electric service from us here in NC.' It doesn't even make sense.
Why can you just randomly add services to a phone bill? How come that's not a closed loop? Phone bill=phone service from provider whose name is on the letterhead.
The worst one I read was a hospital that found SIX of these scammers on their bill.

Back