Photographing food

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Samster, I see your profile says you're in Georgia. Where in Georgia? My family lives there - - ALL of them! I'm the only "wild oat." LOL
I made a 4- year or so stop in Atlanta (Lake Lanier) on my way to the British Virgin Islands..not quite there yet, but I'm must a mere 1,200 miles away so far. I started in Dayton, Ohio, stopped in Atlanta, and am now in Miami for a little while. My partner in the boat lives in Ball Ground, just north of Atlanta, and has a Hatteras on Lake Lanier. I occasionally get back there, but not that often. I hate to leave here, really, even if just for a weekend..
Southwest GA....but we've lived all over the country. I actually never thought we'd end up in GA. I have a brother in Cocoa, FL. He used his inheritance to buy a 22 ft sailboat. He told me that he's hardly had it out this year! I put mine in a couple of old houses. Haha! You're welcome to stop by any time you're on dry land in the Peach State - we're not far from Hotlanta.

For a good chuckle and to see what not to do when it comes to food styling, check out this little gem of culinary history:
http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html
Fine examples of how terribly, inadvertently, wrong things can go when food and camera meet. Definitely read the commentary on all the cards, and don't miss the page titles, either.
Warning: some of the commentary contains coarse language..
Holy mackerel! OK, as soon as I can see again, I am laughing so hard, I may be able to relate some stories about friends who actually MADE these recipes. Just not yet, tho, hubs has come to see why I'm lying on the floor holding my sides...
Bree said:
Holy mackerel! OK, as soon as I can see again, I am laughing so hard, I may be able to relate some stories about friends who actually MADE these recipes. Just not yet, tho, hubs has come to see why I'm lying on the floor holding my sides...
Best reply of the day.
Throughout my daughter's soccer game, I kept breaking out in laughter. The other parents didn't think there was anything funny happening . . . .

a few years ago, i watched a program about photography ... white glue instead of milk, inedible food because meat was raw/rare to photograph well, little sticks and plastic pieces to hold things up inside and from behind. the 'trick' (or might i say talent) if you do it yourself, is not to think of the food as something you are going to eat ... but to see it from behind the camera .... and how does it look?
your website pics look great to me, by the way..
seashanty said:
a few years ago, i watched a program about photography ... white glue instead of milk, inedible food because meat was raw/rare to photograph well, little sticks and plastic pieces to hold things up inside and from behind. the 'trick' (or might i say talent) if you do it yourself, is not to think of the food as something you are going to eat ... but to see it from behind the camera .... and how does it look?
your website pics look great to me, by the way.
That's extremely nice of you to say, because I was inspired by the shots on your site to do something in the first place.
teeth_smile.gif

I generally photograph right next to the window, so lots of good natural light. You definitely need the garnishes. I get the whole table set up exactly the way I want it and then I make the food. It doesn't have to be edible to photograph it. The longer it sits the worse it looks so be sure you are ready to shoot.
You can use hairspray to give it a glossy look.
I stand on a chair to photograph downward, I think I get a better look that way, than trying to take the shots from the side. I'll tke 20 or so shots and then look at them quickly on the computer to see what looks good and what doesn't. I had a lot of trouble with glare off the silverware, so the advice to turn off the flash is good..
Bree said:
You can use hairspray to give it a glossy look.
Then you can set the whole thing on fire like Cherries Jubilee!! m-m-m I could have something there.
tounge_smile.gif

Samster, I see your profile says you're in Georgia. Where in Georgia? My family lives there - - ALL of them! I'm the only "wild oat." LOL
I made a 4- year or so stop in Atlanta (Lake Lanier) on my way to the British Virgin Islands..not quite there yet, but I'm must a mere 1,200 miles away so far. I started in Dayton, Ohio, stopped in Atlanta, and am now in Miami for a little while. My partner in the boat lives in Ball Ground, just north of Atlanta, and has a Hatteras on Lake Lanier. I occasionally get back there, but not that often. I hate to leave here, really, even if just for a weekend..
Hey, Ball Ground is about 20 miles North of where I live!

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Does that make you in Alpharetta or Marietta, or maybe around the Smyrna area?

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Does that make you in Alpharetta or Marietta, or maybe around the Smyrna area?
Close...we are in Woodstock. We live close to 575 on the border of Canton & Holly Springs

Ahhh, 20 miles that way. I remember Woodstock. I remember 575 too. Heck, I remember when I-75 through Atlanta was 2 lanes and had a grass median, I-285 didn't exist, and parts of 75 didn't exist - had to use US 41. I was a kid then, but I remember. LOL I don't miss that traffic!

I just saw this and it made me laugh. The food photographer shows you what his staging area is really about, it is kinda of odd, but you will appreciate it.
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]White Chocolate Chunk Coconut & gaining a new perspective http://t.co/Fys3exY”[/COLOR]

Go to You Tube and look for Jumping Rocks video. They may have suggestions Or check their site. Seems like they had a blog article on photography hints.

Back