Photography Weekends

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What sort of cost? How would you arrange a photography weekend? You would have to pay the instructor, obv she/he would have a rqd amount. How would you promote this? What would be included? I can't see one night stay being enough, they would need a day in the field then back at the B&B that night.
Your thoughts if YOU did this at YOUR INN?
Here is an example of something - http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/expeditions/washingtondcphoto/detail

There is a local author/photog who presents his photo essays and stories on invitation who I think I could entice to enter in on this venture. He is the one who told a city friend when she complained about his gravel road (and I paraphrase) that he likes the gravel road, he is forced to drive slow and look around.
Here is some of his work
If the instructor were local then there would be no lodging requirement.

Get togehter with a photog shop in the area. Maybe there are photogs that are looking for some side work in the 'non wedding' season. I would think the guests would pay for the photog. Find out what someone would charge for a day's outing and then divvy that up amongst the guests. Minimum amount and then it goes down the more who book. If it's a local, no need to provide lodging but breakfast would be nice and maybe a GC to dinner?
So, pkg it as a weekend:
2 nights' stay, 4 hours 'in the field' with a local nature photog, breakfast...$250/person DO. The photog doesn't have the work of producing the photos like at a wedding. It's more time and talking and demonstrating. Rain or shine, pack your gear.
Make sure guests all drive their own cars and find out about liability in case the photog has them hanging off mountainsides.

I would start by talking with the photographer/workshop leader that you have in mind. Workshops are all over the place, both in terms of costs and in terms of how much time is spent in the field. You'll need to know exactly what the photographer can or would be willing to do first and how much, if any, of the risk they're willing to absorb.
Then you'll need to know his/her rate for the time spent. You'll need to know minimum/maximum number of participants and how likely it is that those particpants will each want a separate room. If they'll be bringing non-photography spouses, do you have a backup plan of activities for them?
And lastly you'll need to know where those participants will be coming from. Does the photographer have a list of folks interested in attending workshops? Would he/she tap that list? Will you be selling the weekend class yourself? If so, do you have a backup plan if the workshop doesn't sell well enough, ie. if only 4 people book but the class requires 6.
There is no cookie cutter formula to these things. Start with exploring the workshop leader's requirements and ability to sell any potential workshop - and go from there.

do you have a backup plan of activities for them?
Activities? Whatever they want to do. I don't plan activities for any of our guests now.
I am not holding the workshops IN THE HOUSE, it is an in the field event, photo expedition thing. So really the minimum participants would be required to HIRE the instructor, to make it worth his while. I will talk to him about the # of students.
What risk are you speaking of, and absorb how? They aren't going to be absailing or anything, just taking photos. He can give the lecture in a field our overlook and then give them the assignment or however he is interested in doing it. I am excited as I tried to get this together a year or two ago and then forgot about it. I think this will be fun! I cannot find ANY such workshops in the area and have not heard of any.
Remember I asked what YOU WOULD DO at YOUR INN if you offered this experience. I hope he says yes!

Activities? Whatever they want to do. I don't plan activities for any of our guests now.
I am not holding the workshops IN THE HOUSE, it is an in the field event, photo expedition thing. So really the minimum participants would be required to HIRE the instructor, to make it worth his while. I will talk to him about the # of students.
What risk are you speaking of, and absorb how? They aren't going to be absailing or anything, just taking photos. He can give the lecture in a field our overlook and then give them the assignment or however he is interested in doing it. I am excited as I tried to get this together a year or two ago and then forgot about it. I think this will be fun! I cannot find ANY such workshops in the area and have not heard of any.
Remember I asked what YOU WOULD DO at YOUR INN if you offered this experience. I hope he says yes!.
IF I could get DH onboard, I would like to do a painting workshop. He has a degree in Fine Art from the American Academy of Art in Chicago. We have sooooo many places they could go to paint scenery, covered bridges, country churches, Fall Foliage in the Fall, water rushing over huge rocks, log structures, mansions, you name it except I am short of ocean this year. He loves to talk art when we have guests who are artists. BUT he does not see it. Unless he does, it will not work. and all I can say about it is CRAP!!!

Update - I contacted the nature photographer and he is preparing for a winter blast in the mountains here right now -out chopping more wood - but he is VERY interested. I will contact him in the new year to get his requirements and input. I need to know the minimum students he will accept to make it worth his while. Obv the more the more $.
I have gathered much info on other workshops - most are at comfor t inns etc, very few at B&B's and the comfor t inns are in a conference room, they are not hands on in the field expeditionary type workshops.
I found some good verbiage from some workshop websites too:
Frequently Asked Questions[/h2]
[FONT=&quot]How advanced do I need to be?[/FONT][/h3] Anyone will find our workshops to be a great learning experience. Our participants vary from beginners to advanced amateur. You should, however, be familiar with your equipment and its operation.
[FONT=&quot]What kind and how much equipment should I bring?[/FONT][/h3] We’ll send you a checklist approximately 30 days prior to your event. But briefly, we believe lenses in the 24mm to 300mm range will be most useful. Some way to do close-ups is recommended as well. While we may not do a lot of flash photography, if you have a flash – bring it. Bring lots of film (20 rolls), extra batteries and digital shooters – don’t forget your memory cards. To see the entire list of suggested things to bring.
[FONT=&quot]What time do we start, where do we meet, and when is it over?[/FONT][/h3] Events start on Wednesday evening with a social hour at 6:00 PM at the hotel. The first program begins at 7:00 PM. The meeting location is normally a classroom of the hotel. Events should end around noon on Sunday.
[FONT=&quot]Is transportation provided?[/FONT][/h3] Each participant is responsible for his/her own transportation. However, car-pooling during the event is encouraged both to minimize the number of vehicles at shooting locations and to get to know one another

[FONT=&quot]How should I dress?[/FONT][/h3] Come prepared for anything and bring an extra layer of warm clothes when working at higher altitudes or in cooler climates. Good boots, gloves and a hat are essential to stay dry and warm. If you have Internet access, check the weather forecast at www.weather.com before you leave home.
[FONT=&quot]Does weather ever alter events?[/FONT][/h3] Only if there is an element of danger.
[FONT=&quot]How much “hands-on” help will I get in the field?[/FONT][/h3] This sometimes depends on you. Our faculty is highly qualified but they haven’t mastered mind-reading. So, if you need or want help, just ask. As our faculty make their rounds, you may be asked “How are things going?”. If you say “okay”. they’ll move along. If you say “What do you think of this composition?”, they’ll fall all over themselves to help. Sometimes, they might ask to take a peek through your viewfinder as in “Let’s see what you’ve got there”. Our faculty takes their responsibility as teachers very seriously and they’ll give you as much – or as little – attention as you feel you need.

Remember I asked what YOU WOULD DO at YOUR INN if you offered this experience. I hope he says yes!.
Joey Bloggs said:
What risk are you speaking of, and absorb how? They aren't going to be absailing or anything, just taking photos. He can give the lecture in a field our overlook and then give them the assignment or however he is interested in doing it.
The major booking risk would come in underselling the workshop. If, for instance, he requires 12 students for a particular exercise in the class and only 4 book. Or it takes 12 students to pay for his fees and only 4 book. Who cancels? You or him?
The backup plan for activities becomes a concern when you are selling a weekend workshop package. Guest expectations at an inn are multiplied by an educational expectation. If done well, this is remarkably valuable. If not planned well, a boring workshop will be felt as a boring stay at your inn. You don't want that.
If the photographer has a full weekend plan and a strong following, these may not become issues. But the more you plan for them, the more likely you are to have a successul (and fun) program.

Joey Bloggs said:
What risk are you speaking of, and absorb how? They aren't going to be absailing or anything, just taking photos. He can give the lecture in a field our overlook and then give them the assignment or however he is interested in doing it.
The major booking risk would come in underselling the workshop. If, for instance, he requires 12 students for a particular exercise in the class and only 4 book. Or it takes 12 students to pay for his fees and only 4 book. Who cancels? You or him?
The backup plan for activities becomes a concern when you are selling a weekend workshop package. Guest expectations at an inn are multiplied by an educational expectation. If done well, this is remarkably valuable. If not planned well, a boring workshop will be felt as a boring stay at your inn. You don't want that.
If the photographer has a full weekend plan and a strong following, these may not become issues. But the more you plan for them, the more likely you are to have a successul (and fun) program.
Thanks for clarifying.
It would not be that complicated for him. I will find out the min required. It would be pre-paid in full like any of our packages. His fee would be however many have booked it, so it would not be a do or die situation, if he has 4 students or 10 students. The workshop is not at the inn, it will be in the field, this is the HQ for this event, not the event itself, that will be out in the woods, fields, waterfalls, and locations he chooses.
I am not worried about anyone be entertained. I guess I have never thought of it before either, people stay here and I don't plan their entertainment. I won't be planning any back up activities for anyone. Not sure why you are saying this is important?
I can't wait, this is something I will really enjoy. I will have to tag along for a couple of them and hand out the box lunches or something. :)

Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks for clarifying.
It would not be that complicated for him. I will find out the min required. It would be pre-paid in full like any of our packages. His fee would be however many have booked it, so it would not be a do or die situation, if he has 4 students or 10 students. The workshop is not at the inn, it will be in the field, this is the HQ for this event, not the event itself, that will be out in the woods, fields, waterfalls, and locations he chooses.
I am not worried about anyone be entertained. I guess I have never thought of it before either, people stay here and I don't plan their entertainment. I won't be planning any back up activities for anyone. Not sure why you are saying this is important?
I can't wait, this is something I will really enjoy. I will have to tag along for a couple of them and hand out the box lunches or something. :)
Yeah.. I don't understand either. Entertainment??? You aren't their cruise director. They sign up for the package and that is it. They stay in your beds and you feed them breakfast. Collect the money and smile:)

Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks for clarifying.
It does help to have a list of things the 'spouse' can do for the day so they're not underfoot griping they didn't even want to come on this trip! Around here, I would set them up with an outdoor adventure where they don't need a car to get to anything.
It would help to book the pkg when the one person is saying, 'Oh look at this!' and the other person is saying, 'What am I supposed to do all day?'
I know you don't usually do this, but that's because the guests are usually together. This just helps ease the booking when one spouse is not going to be taking the class. Which may not even be the case.
Generally, if there's some sort of event that screams 'gender-specific' around here, we just get a bunch of friends coming in for it. Yours is not gender-specific, but it may be spouse-specific.

Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks for clarifying.
It does help to have a list of things the 'spouse' can do for the day so they're not underfoot griping they didn't even want to come on this trip! Around here, I would set them up with an outdoor adventure where they don't need a car to get to anything.
It would help to book the pkg when the one person is saying, 'Oh look at this!' and the other person is saying, 'What am I supposed to do all day?'
I know you don't usually do this, but that's because the guests are usually together. This just helps ease the booking when one spouse is not going to be taking the class. Which may not even be the case.
Generally, if there's some sort of event that screams 'gender-specific' around here, we just get a bunch of friends coming in for it. Yours is not gender-specific, but it may be spouse-specific.
Seems to me the other half would be up enjoying the mountains too. I am not planning anything else, if they can't think for themselves, then let them sit and stew. You already know I have lists of things to do here, rack cards and all that.
I don't get it, griping and under foot? I am so not thinking that way at all. Maybe i will be after our first weekend workshop. Right now I am not. I cannot even conceive of what you are speaking about, honestly, I can't.

Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks for clarifying.
Seems to me the other half would be up enjoying the mountains too. I am not planning anything else, if they can't think for themselves, then let them sit and stew. You already know I have lists of things to do here, rack cards and all that.
I don't get it, griping and under foot? I am so not thinking that way at all. Maybe i will be after our first weekend workshop. Right now I am not. I cannot even conceive of what you are speaking about, honestly, I can't.
You've not seen the sleeping husbands on the sofa that I have! (And you don't want ot!) Or the rolling of the eyes as one wants to go this way and the other wants to go that way.
I don't usually have 'other things to do' in a pkg but if this one is specifically a 'class' that the other person may not/is not going to sign up for, it might help to get the booking if there was even a link in the pkg to 'other things to do'.
Look at it this way, you're selling 2 things at once that way. One is the actual pkg which someone may look at and not really be interested in. But there's the link to 'other things to do' and now you've given them a list of things they really do want to do, so they don't book the pkg but they come to stay anyway.
Remember that guests don't necessarily read our websites the way we would like them to, in some sort of order. They flit around. So putting the 'other things to do' in an unlikely place will keep them looking around. Like I have the restaurant page link on the breakfast page. It's all food, right? But it's also with things to do, because it is.

Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks for clarifying.
I am with you. Why would a spouse come with them if they didn't intend to participate as well. Or if they don't they should have plans of their own. Innkeepers aren't there to entertain or amuse. JB has lots of ideas already on her blog and stuff at the inn someone could choose from....lots of other things to do. It is not the innkeepers responsibility to babysit guests. :-(
You aren't planing this for THIS WEEKEND are you? We are up for anywhere from 12 -24 inches of snow if all things "go right" YIKES!!!!!

Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks for clarifying.
As "THE SPOUSE" I do understand where they are coming from. In the 80s, DH went to a week-long muzzle-loading rifle workshop and enjoyed it so much we went back a second time. Thankfully they raised the price to something he was not willing to pay the third year. There was nothing set up for spouses - even though this was a gender specific thing. I will admit I was one of the few spouses that went (DH always wanted me to go with)
I was not about to sit around a campground (camping was cheaper than the dorms) all day after dropping him off at the campus. I did my homework and went site-seeing on my own. I may have spent the money to attend a class of some kind had one been offered. I also found a dinner/theater nearby for us to go to one night after the classes were over for the day so we also did something TOGETHER.
When I was a Councilman I attended Municipal League Conferences. One was held near here and the dinner was going to be at the WVU football stadium so DH wanted to go. These Conferences had Spouse Tours during the day for while the attendees (mostly men) were in meetings and workshops. DH went on the Spouse Tour and enjoyed it immensely. They did a ride on the monorail, visited the old glass works that is now a unique shops center, and a winery among other things. He thoroughly enjoyed the day instead of twiddling his thumbs and being bored.

Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks for clarifying.
I am with you. Why would a spouse come with them if they didn't intend to participate as well. Or if they don't they should have plans of their own. Innkeepers aren't there to entertain or amuse. JB has lots of ideas already on her blog and stuff at the inn someone could choose from....lots of other things to do. It is not the innkeepers responsibility to babysit guests. :-(
You aren't planing this for THIS WEEKEND are you? We are up for anywhere from 12 -24 inches of snow if all things "go right" YIKES!!!!!
The sky is white, we shall see! My mother keeps emailing me from the west coast - first a foot, now it is up to 2 feet prediction, telling people to evacuate I-81. School was cancelled, our kids were up at 630am, lunches packed, ready to go - the FUN DAY of parties and Christmas cheer...no skool. Nary a flurry to be seen thus far...
They went to the library instead for something fun to do.
I have my boston butt cooking - I call it my blozzard fare - it could keep up going for a few days - carnitas, pulled pork bbq sands...just what the doctor ordered in this weather...if it happens. :)

I would give anything to be taken away for a weekend, I would love to sit and relax and read a book!
I still have not blogged that idea...I think I asked for ideas here and then never finished it "HOW TO DO NOTHING AT THE XYZ B&B" a list of doing nothing. I did a similar blog article, but not specifically on nothing. :)

Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks for clarifying.
As "THE SPOUSE" I do understand where they are coming from. In the 80s, DH went to a week-long muzzle-loading rifle workshop and enjoyed it so much we went back a second time. Thankfully they raised the price to something he was not willing to pay the third year. There was nothing set up for spouses - even though this was a gender specific thing. I will admit I was one of the few spouses that went (DH always wanted me to go with)
I was not about to sit around a campground (camping was cheaper than the dorms) all day after dropping him off at the campus. I did my homework and went site-seeing on my own. I may have spent the money to attend a class of some kind had one been offered. I also found a dinner/theater nearby for us to go to one night after the classes were over for the day so we also did something TOGETHER.
When I was a Councilman I attended Municipal League Conferences. One was held near here and the dinner was going to be at the WVU football stadium so DH wanted to go. These Conferences had Spouse Tours during the day for while the attendees (mostly men) were in meetings and workshops. DH went on the Spouse Tour and enjoyed it immensely. They did a ride on the monorail, visited the old glass works that is now a unique shops center, and a winery among other things. He thoroughly enjoyed the day instead of twiddling his thumbs and being bored.
Oh yes, I agree having the spouse workshops in conjunction with meeting / conferences like you refer to. But JB's is just for her B & B. I planned many a spouse outings when we did our state and national conferences and workshops so that spouses could do something else while we sat in meetings. This is something different than the photo weekend.

I would give anything to be taken away for a weekend, I would love to sit and relax and read a book!
I still have not blogged that idea...I think I asked for ideas here and then never finished it "HOW TO DO NOTHING AT THE XYZ B&B" a list of doing nothing. I did a similar blog article, but not specifically on nothing. :).
"HOW TO DO NOTHING AT THE XYZ B&B"
The problem with that is that they are THERE all day, meaning underfoot or just there so you cannot do anything that will be a messy or noisy task and they will be there to be chatty cathy or needy....... People get bored easily and quickly.

Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks for clarifying.
The sky is white, we shall see! My mother keeps emailing me from the west coast - first a foot, now it is up to 2 feet prediction, telling people to evacuate I-81. School was cancelled, our kids were up at 630am, lunches packed, ready to go - the FUN DAY of parties and Christmas cheer...no skool. Nary a flurry to be seen thus far...
They went to the library instead for something fun to do.
I have my boston butt cooking - I call it my blozzard fare - it could keep up going for a few days - carnitas, pulled pork bbq sands...just what the doctor ordered in this weather...if it happens. :)
WHAT!!!!! School cancelled..the storm isn't supposed to get here till later tonight! Oh well you are a few hours away from me :-( One D.C. forecaster is calling it "the perfect storm" oh yeah...we'll see.

Back