Photos at Inn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattrin

Reaction score
From time to time,we have let local photographers take wedding photos at the Inn. The local bridal shop also sends brides here for their wedding portrait. We have never charged to use the Inn but now people are just showing up without making an appointment - some on the day of the wedding. I know I have to chance our policies but the real question is-- do I charge to use the Inn and if so, how much? Does anyone else have this problem? The locals also use the yard for family photos - some ask and some don't. We have a beautiful live oak tree as well as a Magnolia tree in the front yard - great back drop for photos. We even had a group of high school kids take their prom pictures here - they did ask. What should I do?

I am the same as you, to a T. Same same...weddings, proms, etc. I don't charge, I ask that they call for permission first. So the local photographers ask and all the prom parents ask - and I typically request a copy of an image in return (which I have only had a return on once, they all said they would be happy to but never did it). I figure the more photos they hand out, it is free advertising for us, who knows maybe the prom couple might come back for their wedding night.
In your situation I would request the bridal shop have some of your rack cards there for clients. The one wedding photographer brought mine to a couple of her bridal shows, so it was a fair trade.

OF course you should charge!!! THey are taking advantage of you and your property. The next time someone heads into your yard, have a contract prepared and hand it to them before they start anything. Have them hand over the $$$. You aren't getting any business from it are you? Or, if you can figure some kind of barter. I guess it just depends on how much it all bothers you. What happens to you if something happens on your property during a photo shoot??? WIll your insurance cover it??? Hmmmm????

Word has gotten out that you allow photos on your property. Word has not gotten out that permission is required. If it is possible to post a notice near the driveway that it is private property that might slow them down. Another option is to chase them off if they don't have permission or to make yourself quite visible in their photos.
wink_smile.gif

I like the idea of getting with the people who have been asking permission and having them help by having your info on hand. Maybe you then get biz out of it and not just be the backdrop for photos.
If you do charge, that will slow down the traffic quite a bit. And make you a few bucks on the side. If you don't eventually, it's going to be, 'Can we use a bathroom? Do you have a pin? Oh, look at those cookies, here everyone, have a cookie, we're famished!'

ditto the above.
i would call the local photographers if this is who is bringing over wedding parties and tell them the grounds are available for a fee and only by appointment. no matter how lovely a setting ... what nerve! are your grounds being confused with public property like a park or something? is there any way that access can be restricted without spoiling the beauty that you love?

We have had three wedding groups come to take pictures at our place in the last month. They said there is no other decent place in town to get the pics taken. I charged each party $100 and each time they left a nice tip as well. I have never advertised this but word has got around.
I would indeed start charging. I don't charge of course if they are guests in our house staying over.

Your landscape is part of the value of your home / place of business.
There is an expense to creating and maintaining a landscape to the level that photographs want to be taken.
As Victoria has been charging $100......that seems reasonable for 30 - 45 minutes of time on the property.
I maintain our church parish center and for years I had been doing annual flowers.......alot of flowers.......well..............I was told by the then commitee that managed the property that many of the rented wedding parties they booked had the wedding photos done on site........I quickly told them......increase your nights rent $100 - $150.................Oh no.......we can't do that........................OK, then as at the time of booking if photos will be taken on the property and if yes..........add $100............Oh no, can't do that, they wouldn't book..........
Well............on 3 occasions.......I had to go early Sunday morning to do something and was there when the renting party was clearing out the rest of their stuff...........each time they commented on the condition of the grounds.....and that they had taken wedding photos on the property............I responded.........thanking them for the kind words and by the way......did the person booking your party tell you that photos on the property was an additional charge...cause sometimes they forget.
I told them $100.............wouldn't you know.........each reached in their pocket and gave me the $100...................................they said it was well worth it......cause had they gone elsewhere or to a couple other locations....it would have cost more for the limo and photographer.
Gave the $ to the managers each time and told them what I was told...........they started doing the photo thing as an add on
Couple years ago they had started doing renovations......new roof.....entire interior reno.......close to $200k in total.
Funny thing is........just recently the manager mentioned to me that no one has considered the add for photographs..........I told him, sure.......we haven't done flowers in 3 years.
And several years ago I had added a landscape project of my own to enhance the property.....would have cost them $5K.......I did it free........and that was the main focus and reasons for the photos
Mentioned to the manager..........has anyone realized that by charging the extra $100 or doing it as an add on.........you could reasliticaly recoup the cost of the flower I install?.........and with the level the landscape is maintained you can increase your rental as much as 10%......ever wonder why catering halls charge what they do?
I'm trying to get them to start again with this fall......so I can do the fall color planting.......I used to do $300 mums, 2-300 ornamental kale, corn stalks with orange ribbon tied to the lamp posts.

"Your landscape is part of the value of your home / place of business.
There is an expense to creating and maintaining a landscape to the level that photographs want to be taken."

Can I hug you!

"Your landscape is part of the value of your home / place of business.
There is an expense to creating and maintaining a landscape to the level that photographs want to be taken."

Can I hug you!
We just had a walk-in who said they drove up the street and came back down because our yard just called to them. It was 'the whole thing'- the trees, the lawn, the flowers. So, they paid my bill for my annuals...

I have had folks take pictures of the front of my house for years.......usualy a drive by photo......but, I've seen them......on the years where I can grow 6-7 foot tall cannas........I've had on occasion folks standing in front of them taking pictures.........I get a kick out of it......and flattered...........but it's something I see every day......I live here.
Something else I have noticed becoming a growing trend in recent years......more and more folks walking my street.........more and more dog walking on my street........I can go a block or two south........not one person.
Just this morning......I happened to catch a realtor and the buyers for a walk through before closing on Monday.....buying a neighbors home that was an original owner.....where I had been maintaining the property for 28 years.........handed them my card and asked that I would like to continue........wife burst out......absolutely we want you to continue.......she had been waving her hand motioning up and down the street.....Look at this neighborhood..it's fantastic....the first day we saw the house we had to put a deposit.....we had looked at more than 10 homes to that point.....the neighborhood sold the house.
I had the same reaction when another home sold last summer the other direction on the street........a home we have maintained for 20+ years.....
One realtor a while back had told me once..............the homes on my street can fetch a higher price.........homes on my street are on the market the shortest amount of time
Don't sell your landscape / curb appeal short.............

I have had folks take pictures of the front of my house for years.......usualy a drive by photo......but, I've seen them......on the years where I can grow 6-7 foot tall cannas........I've had on occasion folks standing in front of them taking pictures.........I get a kick out of it......and flattered...........but it's something I see every day......I live here.
Something else I have noticed becoming a growing trend in recent years......more and more folks walking my street.........more and more dog walking on my street........I can go a block or two south........not one person.
Just this morning......I happened to catch a realtor and the buyers for a walk through before closing on Monday.....buying a neighbors home that was an original owner.....where I had been maintaining the property for 28 years.........handed them my card and asked that I would like to continue........wife burst out......absolutely we want you to continue.......she had been waving her hand motioning up and down the street.....Look at this neighborhood..it's fantastic....the first day we saw the house we had to put a deposit.....we had looked at more than 10 homes to that point.....the neighborhood sold the house.
I had the same reaction when another home sold last summer the other direction on the street........a home we have maintained for 20+ years.....
One realtor a while back had told me once..............the homes on my street can fetch a higher price.........homes on my street are on the market the shortest amount of time
Don't sell your landscape / curb appeal short..............
One Day said:
Don't sell your landscape / curb appeal short.............
You got that right...it's all part of the package! The exterior has it's own importance. Mostly in the "first impressions" category.

I agree about charging or you could say do a reduced charge if they make sure you get a copy of the photo if it is useful for your advertising
(obviously with the relevant permissions to use on your web site, adds etc) that way you get the best of both.

Time to stop the freebies when the feel they can come on your property at any time. This is YOUR private property.
Make sure to provide all the photographers, wedding consultants etc. in your area a letter stating you are honored to have had so many want your home, yard etc. as their backdrop and you welcome them as long as there is an appointment made and that there will be a charge of $_____ for use for X amount of time.
Another B&B here (closed long ago) had this problem as there place was right across the street from a photographer. She finally had enough when he asked some of her guests to please leave the porch as they were in the shot and he would move her plants and funiture around to suit his needs. Never asking or thanking her. She started to charge, with rules and appointments. But just as I am writing I am remembering the rest of her story.... There was a nice tree on the street side of her fence so just for spite, he started taking his photos by that tree, her home still in the background. She then started placing colorful pots and yard art out to discourage him. It became a game for her and finally she won.

Back