Photos of innkeeper pets?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I have a friend I love dearly who insists I should remove ALL photos and mentions of my dog from my website. Her take on pet photos on the website is that she would move right along and NEVER consider staying ANYWHERE that stated they had pets on the premises. If it was the only room in town she would never stay in the room in which I allow dogs. She insists that the room 'has to smell bad'.
What do you all think? Innkeeper pets should be removed from the website? More prominently displayed?
My dog DOES go into the inn, but not when guests are there unless they want to meet her. Most guests, in spite of the photos, do not even know I have a dog and are surprised when I mention her.
I am completely up front with guests if they ask. I tell them we do have a dog and if the guest is allergic or afraid I will make sure the dog 'stays home' when the guest is in house. If it's allergies, I tell them which room is the dog freindly room and they can choose to not book it.
Even guests who book the dog friendly room do not usually know dogs are allowed in that room. (Which just goes to show most guests don't read.)

Your friend who you love dearly has never dealt with a guest who freaks out and runs out the door because we have a family dog or cat and they didn't know. Like we were hiding some grievous sin from them.
Case in point today, our dog has fallen in love with a guest who ignored her. She is now to the point she sees him outside and brings a tennis ball to him to toss and chase and wrestle. He likes her as well.
#1 from my perspective - I like our guests who like animals. I am not so fond of those who hate animals.

i would show your pet in the about us section, explain where the pet is allowed to go and NOT to go.
i like dogs and cats and am curious about other pets. but in another thread i mentioned the dog who growled at only me. if i was a guest in that situation, i would never go back there.
bree, i think your friend is mistaken. i think your future guests have the right to be told ahead of time.
also ..... my place was 'no pets' but service animals did stay with us. not having a dog at the time, i believe i was sensitive to pet smells. and those dogs were very clean. after the room was flipped, i did not detect any evidence that a service dog had been with us. never had a complaint from the next guest to use the room so i think it was all good. maybe carpeting would retain an odor? we did not have any service animals in rooms with carpets so i can't say.

Oh my goodness I don't think I can overestimate how very many people choose us BECAUSE of our dog! Just this weekend alone every single check-in has asked for her by name the minute they walk in the door. We have only one pic of her on the website, the one under the "About the Innkeepers" page and she does get a fair amount of press on our blog, but still, people are telling me that they are choosing us because of her.
It comes down to who do you want staying at your place...those who love dogs or those who don't? I know my answer.

Hubs had to chime in to say keep the dog, lose the friend!
Our dog is not allowed in guest rooms, but she is in the common areas. We used to keep her out of any part of the Inn but so many people asked for her that I just try to guage if someone is not a dog person but we really don't get anyone like that.

But if you didn't post pictures of your pets or tell about them on the website or in your materials, then how would she feel checking in to discover the pets? This does not make much sense to me.
If she doesn't want to stay with pets, then it would be great to know up front
We just recently adopted a friends old Chocolate Lab and have more guests asking about Bear after they return home. I think a dog or cat on the premises is very therapeutic for people, it might just sway some to book because they see your pets' photos
wink_smile.gif

Oh my goodness I don't think I can overestimate how very many people choose us BECAUSE of our dog! Just this weekend alone every single check-in has asked for her by name the minute they walk in the door. We have only one pic of her on the website, the one under the "About the Innkeepers" page and she does get a fair amount of press on our blog, but still, people are telling me that they are choosing us because of her.
It comes down to who do you want staying at your place...those who love dogs or those who don't? I know my answer..
I thought it was you who had said to promote the dog! Friend has pets (cats), wants dog, just doesn't think anyone else will clean well enough so will not stay anywhere that allows pets in the guest rooms. Her take on it is, if SHE wouldn't stay, there are lots of other people who won't either. Not looking at it from the 'hey they have dog, our kind of people, let's stay there' POV.

I would never remove our dogs photos from the website...I (and they) love the attention they get. I do mention that they are not allowed in guest areas unless by guest request. Someone doesn't like that we have dogs, they can stay elsewhere, I won't miss them.
In your case, Bree....I think your photo and the dog's should be someplace more noticeable on your site.

Keep the photos and tell your friend that you consider the photos to be fair warning to potential guests who might feel the same way.
Some folks don't want to stay in a place that has pets onsite. Like your friend, they should know what they're getting.
Others may look forward to bit of furry attention if they're missing their own animal companions back home.
Concerns about dander, cleanliness, and the like are all valid. You have some pet-free rooms, though, for guests who have that concern.
But removing photos of your own beloved dog won't change that concern at all. It will simply alter your ability to be upfront with your guests about the nature of the home they'll be visiting.
Honesty is always the best policy. Photos and all.

I would never remove our dogs photos from the website...I (and they) love the attention they get. I do mention that they are not allowed in guest areas unless by guest request. Someone doesn't like that we have dogs, they can stay elsewhere, I won't miss them.
In your case, Bree....I think your photo and the dog's should be someplace more noticeable on your site..
I second all of these points
thumbs_up.gif

A pet is PART OF THE FAMILY.
Keeping it out of guest areas due to allergies is a good idea. So many guests miss their pets while away and ask to see ours and are upset when they aren't in the guest areas. But I need to have control over THAT cleaning.
If you have just ONE pet friendly room, what is the big deal? If they were all pet friendly, then the friend might have a point. I will say honestly I wouldn't want to stay in a pet room if I knew. I say that as our pets OWN these quarters in here and do whatever they want to do.

In addition to having a dog of our own, we advertise our lodge as "dog-friendly" and are members of the "pet-finder" website. We have had several bookings based on the fact that we accept dogs. We have had only one inquiry about "dog free" rooms due to allergies. We have policies regarding where guests can have their animals, and we offer a "doggie welcome package" that includes treats, a toy, and a number of "pick-up" bags. We also have relationships with local "doggie day care" businesses, so that if an animal becomes disruptive, guests have a gracious way out. This is all stated clearly on our website, and we have never had a problem.

To NOT mention animals on premises is very wrong in my not very humble opinion. Tell your friend she is in the minority. I like animals but have developed a HUGE allergy to cats in my old age. I need to know in advance if there is a cat. Some dogs bother a bit, but that would not be as big an issue as cats are..
I found the camel bothers some horses so I post on my web site in any section having to do with the horses that there is a camel on site at the stable. I should probably go back and mention the pygmy goats and the pot-bellied pigs.

To NOT mention animals on premises is very wrong in my not very humble opinion. Tell your friend she is in the minority. I like animals but have developed a HUGE allergy to cats in my old age. I need to know in advance if there is a cat. Some dogs bother a bit, but that would not be as big an issue as cats are..
I found the camel bothers some horses so I post on my web site in any section having to do with the horses that there is a camel on site at the stable. I should probably go back and mention the pygmy goats and the pot-bellied pigs..
a camel? pygmy goats? and pot bellied pigs?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
what a hoot!!
seriously, can guests go see them? i've never seen a camel 'in person'.

I found the camel bothers some horses so I post on my web site in any section having to do with the horses that there is a camel on site at the stable. I should probably go back and mention the pygmy goats and the pot-bellied pigs..
a camel? pygmy goats? and pot bellied pigs?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
what a hoot!!
seriously, can guests go see them? i've never seen a camel 'in person'.
See them? Pull into the driveway and the camel comes to the fence looking for treats, petting, and food and his pal Eore is not far behind. He poses for photos. The pygmy goats almost knock you over as they run around the farm and stable area. The pot-bellied pigs are in one of the stalls - I think they move to get food once in a while but they rarely appear to have changed positions. There are also some small deer - I think roebuck - in a pen closer to the hanger.

Are you serious, you have a petting zoo? I would come and stay with you in a heartbeat. How fun. Pictures please :)

kathleen ... i think you have to market this animenagerie aspect of the place! i just made up that word.

I cannot market it because it is not mine. All belong to the stable. I can take people out to see them, but would not feel comfortable marketing it as an attraction. So Iris, come on done (or up). I would be happy to take you out to meet Punjab.

Back