Phraseology on your website/directories

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
On another thread we discussed the importance of numbers, ie $149 vs $145 and what they portray to a potential guest.
We have in the past said that the term "quaint" is equivalent to "small" on a B&B website. What does the word "value" portray? Can you use "added value" or "extra value" successfully on your website or directory listing? Or is this something we need to get across via other verbs and adjectives? Do you want guests to perceive your inn as added value at all? Perhaps that is not your niche.
What other terms or phrases have you found attractive to guests?
What other terms or phrases have you found UNattractive to guests?
Does the phraseology matter on the website/directory? Should we paint a picture with our words, or keep it simple and to the point in bulleted fashion?
How much is too much and how much is not enough?
(Here is a synonym thesaurus with antonyms and definitions)

I think we have to do both types of listing...bulleted and wordy. Bulleted for the short attention span, wordy for those who need more convincing. So, on a rooms page- bulleted on the page with all the rooms, wordy on the individual room page.
I haven't done any testing with 'value.' I do know that 'cozy' got low marks when I asked about it here. It was perceived not as 'warm and inviting' but as 'small and ho hum.'

I think we have to do both types of listing...bulleted and wordy. Bulleted for the short attention span, wordy for those who need more convincing. So, on a rooms page- bulleted on the page with all the rooms, wordy on the individual room page.
I haven't done any testing with 'value.' I do know that 'cozy' got low marks when I asked about it here. It was perceived not as 'warm and inviting' but as 'small and ho hum.'.
Yeah...just like with real estate...COZY=SMALL :) I have a friend who used "value priced" etc and he gets nothing but PITA's because of it I am sure:-(

Another odd story I came across that is remarkably relevant to writing for increased sales.
You can click the links in this blog to get to the actual 'sales pitches' written up for the items. It takes a bit, tho.
Think J Peterman. The catalog. Or the Seinfeld character..
Morticia said:
Another odd story I came across that is remarkably relevant to writing for increased sales.
You can click the links in this blog to get to the actual 'sales pitches' written up for the items. It takes a bit, tho.
Think J Peterman. The catalog. Or the Seinfeld character.
I would like to read that indepth later on, thanks for posting it. Emotions ALSO play a big part in purchasing, has anyone here ever purchased some knick knack piece o' junk at a theme park - to bring home and collect dust and then be given to good will? Sure, we all do it. We never buy something 'sensible' and useful at a theme park or tourist trap. At most we try to say a logo'd mug will be useful - we just never have enough mugs do we. :)
I believe it is a fine art - there are salesman and there are salesman, people are hired to write those catalogs, to determine which font (Helvetica as it was for decades from the 1950's on) will sell the item best, there is no accidental marketing.
Has anyone seen the documentary on Helvetica? I know, I am weird watching a doc on a font/typeface but it is really interesting how it changed advertising world wide. there is a slide show here on it

Morticia said:
I would like to read that indepth later on, thanks for posting it. Emotions ALSO play a big part in purchasing, has anyone here ever purchased some knick knack piece o' junk at a theme park - to bring home and collect dust and then be given to good will? Sure, we all do it. We never buy something 'sensible' and useful at a theme park or tourist trap. At most we try to say a logo'd mug will be useful - we just never have enough mugs do we. :)
I believe it is a fine art - there are salesman and there are salesman, people are hired to write those catalogs, to determine which font (Helvetica as it was for decades from the 1950's on) will sell the item best, there is no accidental marketing.
Has anyone seen the documentary on Helvetica? I know, I am weird watching a doc on a font/typeface but it is really interesting how it changed advertising world wide. there is a slide show here on it
I have just spent the past hour or so tossing out old crap I have picked up 'along the way' and I am tired of it all sitting around here just collecting dust. It has no value to me now and I refuse to keep stuff I know longer care about. I will just have to pack it all up when we do sell this place...whenever that may be..and I have no desire to do that.

Morticia said:
I have just spent the past hour or so tossing out old crap I have picked up 'along the way' and I am tired of it all sitting around here just collecting dust. It has no value to me now and I refuse to keep stuff I know longer care about. I will just have to pack it all up when we do sell this place...whenever that may be..and I have no desire to do that.
catlady said:
Stuffed animals are like that. You want them and then they are D.C. (dust collectors)
Funny thing is people would buy the same exact stuffed animal for our two kids - even tho there is three years diff in age, so in their shared room there are always two of the exact same. go figure that one out.
So two of the same to give away...in my book. Our basement is filled with boxes we have not gotten into in almost 7 years. I guess we will move with them and sort them out later on. We don't need all this stuff. My next house will be a bare bones log cabin or simplified to the max, a chair, a bed, a tv. :) I know, I am weird.

Morticia said:
catlady said:
Stuffed animals are like that. You want them and then they are D.C. (dust collectors)
Funny thing is people would buy the same exact stuffed animal for our two kids - even tho there is three years diff in age, so in their shared room there are always two of the exact same. go figure that one out.
So two of the same to give away...in my book. Our basement is filled with boxes we have not gotten into in almost 7 years. I guess we will move with them and sort them out later on. We don't need all this stuff. My next house will be a bare bones log cabin or simplified to the max, a chair, a bed, a tv. :) I know, I am weird.
You are not weird. Once I am able to put this B & B on the market and then sell it, I intend to look for a SMALL one-story. The more space I have the more crap I collect. I want one room as a crapify (I know me) that I can shut the door on so the rest will look nice.

Morticia said:
catlady said:
Oh gosh..I haven't even touched the stuffed animals yet. It of course was so sweet when hubby presented them to me..but...I have boxes of them in the basement now. I don't want to make him feel bad by getting rid of them...but...I think I need to broach the subject. I am sure there are lots of kids out there who would love to have them. Oh I am agreeing..more and more...make mine next one....minimalist as well.

Back