Phrasing a tip note

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I can't find any of my old tip notes and we have a summer helper. We do mention her in our welcome note because many guests think our helpers are our kids. (And most won't tip the owners' kids.) So, don't want to insult anyone with improper phrasing.
Which of these would you use: (there is a little intro in the sentence prior that tells her name and how she takes pride in her work)
A)
moz-screenshot-2.png
If you wish to show your appreciation, gratuities are acceptable, but not required.
B)
moz-screenshot-2.png
If you wish to show your appreciation, gratuities are acceptable, but not expected.
I realize that option B may get fewer tips, I just don't like the 'required' as it sounds wrong to me. Other phrasing welcome.
BTW- not a question about whether or not to have a tip note. We do it and it helps the college kids with tuition.

How about something like - Although gratuities are not required or expected, if you wish to show your thanks a tip will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure how to phrase it, but if you included "our housekeeper Jane" in your note then they would know she wasn't one of your kids.

How about something like - Although gratuities are not required or expected, if you wish to show your thanks a tip will be greatly appreciated..
Thanks. That's closer to what I used to have.

I'm not sure how to phrase it, but if you included "our housekeeper Jane" in your note then they would know she wasn't one of your kids..
Breakfast Diva said:
I'm not sure how to phrase it, but if you included "our housekeeper Jane" in your note then they would know she wasn't one of your kids.
That's why I have that in the previous line! It really helps.

What about us little guys (innkeepers) who ARE the housekeepers. I always like it when a guest leaves a tip, but don't feel right about suggesting it. Do any of you drop hints for tips?
I made up a form for our massage therapist that the guest has to sign "in order for her to get paid." Actually, it has a tip line on it so a tip may be added and I have a way to document it on my books.

i wish i remembered exactly what our tip notes said. something like 'your chambermaid, ........ , takes pride in keeping our inn clean and comfortable. while tips are appreciated, they are not expected (or was it required? i'm just not sure). if you have any comments or suggestions, please let her know ' something like that.
i left the notes and envelopes because, if i didn't, the girls would write their own .... and i didn't (usually) like what they wrote!
the girls insisted they got more tips when notes were left than when they weren't. i gave them the same spiel over and over again about how i paid them a very good wage and that tips were gravy and not to expect them. they still did.
also ... no ... i rarely got a tip for myself. don't the old etiquette books say to tip the staff but not the owner? anyway, i never expected tips. got a lot of hugs though, and some nice surprise presents.

What about us little guys (innkeepers) who ARE the housekeepers. I always like it when a guest leaves a tip, but don't feel right about suggesting it. Do any of you drop hints for tips?
I made up a form for our massage therapist that the guest has to sign "in order for her to get paid." Actually, it has a tip line on it so a tip may be added and I have a way to document it on my books..
Naw, you make the big bucks by owning the place. I would never, ever hint around, even jokingly to someone I knew really well, about a tip for me. If it happens, it happens.
But, for someone who is not used to this work and who really ought to be tipped given some of the crap (literal and figurative) that she has to deal with, oh yes, I'll hint big time.

BTW, from what I saw this weekend, the guests loved her! 2 personal notes and some folding green paper exchanged hands!

Back