Picking your priorities

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
How do you choose your priorities? If you have check ins and the phone rings, do you answer the phone or give your full attention to the people at your door, knowing that the caller will just call someone else if you don't answer? How do you choose?

If I am at a place where I can excuse myself, I will. Otherwise, guests in front of me first. If the guests say, 'Do you need to get that?' I will excuse myself and answer.

Luckily there are two of us so we can usually divide and conquer. But I think the person standing in front of you always gets priority.

Guests in front of you of course. This is how I feel I should be treated when I am at a store as well. Nine times out of ten the guest will tell ME that the phone is ringing and I should get it. When I do take the call, I ask the caller for their number and ask if I could call them back in X# of minutes or when would be the best time to call. Then it is back to my current guests.

I am it and I am small. I will say, will you excuse for a moment please and answer the call. I will then take a number for a call back, but I cannot afford to miss any calls that may be a reservation. I am NOT going to get chatty, but I may be waiting for a call return from a service call and if that is not answered who knows when they will call back. Sorry, the people in front of me can see they have my attention and can hear what I am saying so they know I am taking a number. One time it verified for the guests that I keep my promises. I had told them I would not rent the third room so they would have a private bath - and as I showed them their room a call came in wanting a room that night so they heard me say I had no availability for that night.

Generally, the people in front of me. But I have caller ID. So if it's my sister or something I'll answer saying, "I'll call you right back." Problem is I usually remember she called about an hour later.
=)
Kk.

I have to agree with those who say "always the customer in front of you."
And this is worse - One thing that REALLY IRRITATES me is when I'm at the grocery store, and I have to wait for the stupid clerk to finish with her personal cell phone call or finish with her text messaging with her friends before she will ring up my groceries - this happens to me a LOT. I would fire an employee on the spot who conducted themselves on the job like that, but around here, it is just dismissed and customers have to put up with it. OK, that got off topic a little but, that's what popped into my head when I think of "always the customer in front of you!" I know, the phone ringing in your inn isn't akin to texting or chatting with friends on the cell phone.

Back