Picnic Baskets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowpondgj

Reaction score
Do any of you offer them as an add on? If so, what do your guests like in them?
Edited to ask, if you do these, does your guest keep the basket or return it?

I do not use baskets for my lunches. I get insulated lunch bags (with strap handles - brown bag size) from my local Sheltered Workshop with my logo and contact info screened on the front (about $5.50 printed here) and each person gets a lunch bag - "...and the bag is yours as a gift of the XYZ House..." I get several things this way. #1 I do not have to worry about the rules about re-using a bag #2 warm and fuzzy #3 when they go home they might pack lunches for work (I have been told by several guests that they use my bag for their lunches every day) so co-workers see it - advertising.
That way if one wants mayo and the other does not, I can put a twistie on one bag to mark which is which. I also include a .5 oz bottle of waterless hand cleaner in one of the bags - the one with the twistie.
Guests have also purchased them (the bags) in the gift shop for presents.

TogethernessBasket-sm.jpg
We do a picnic basket that is returnable. Keeping with our recycling and sustainable theme, we try to use durable items whenever possible. Also, the old fashioned picnic basket goes along with our historic old house.
Due to health department regulations, I can not cook any items that go in this basket. We also include a small blanket that has been enbroidered with our name which is also returnable. All dishes and utensils are durable and thrown in the dishwasher. This is a very popular item and is ordered not only for a picnic, but also people order it for dinner so they don't have to leave their rooms. We charge $45, but there is only about $15 of food in it. Not a bad little profit maker and people rave about it and there is enough food for leftovers!
TOGETHERNESS BASKET - Come together over our now famous romantic picnic basket for two in a returnable hamper. You choose the perfect setting and we'll supply everything else for a memorable interlude (please order at least 24 hours in advance). Basket includes choice of smoked salmon (sliced turkey or roast beef can be substituted), hot soup, potato or macaroni salad, fruit, Tillamook cheddar cheese hot French baguette, Martinelli sparkling cider and Harry & David truffles. $45.00

We do a picnic basket that is returnable. Keeping with our recycling and sustainable theme, we try to use durable items whenever possible. Also, the old fashioned picnic basket goes along with our historic old house.
Due to health department regulations, I can not cook any items that go in this basket. We also include a small blanket that has been enbroidered with our name which is also returnable. All dishes and utensils are durable and thrown in the dishwasher. This is a very popular item and is ordered not only for a picnic, but also people order it for dinner so they don't have to leave their rooms. We charge $45, but there is only about $15 of food in it. Not a bad little profit maker and people rave about it and there is enough food for leftovers!
TOGETHERNESS BASKET - Come together over our now famous romantic picnic basket for two in a returnable hamper. You choose the perfect setting and we'll supply everything else for a memorable interlude (please order at least 24 hours in advance). Basket includes choice of smoked salmon (sliced turkey or roast beef can be substituted), hot soup, potato or macaroni salad, fruit, Tillamook cheddar cheese hot French baguette, Martinelli sparkling cider and Harry & David truffles. $45.00.
I use the bags to keep them from being trash. I wrap everything in wax paper to make it as eco as possible. Since my lunches are for trail riding (horse or bikes), motorcycle day trips, or going to covered bridges or the winery, they have to be easy to handle. Each lunch consists of a sandwich on homemade bread (turkey, chicken, ham, or roast beef depending on diet - as in no pork - and what is on sale at the deli section of the grocery), cuke spears and baby carrots, a small Pringles (only chips that come in a container that does not crush), a bottle of cold water (to keep the lunch chilled), and a few muffins from breakfast, napkins and one lunch gets the waterless hand cleaner for both of them to use. I usually get told there was so much food they could not eat it all.
Several years ago the lunch was ham and cheese on Swedish rye and the lady said she had not had Swedish rye since her grandmother died. Would it be possible for me to make some for her to take home? "And remember I am used to paying high prices." When I gave her the bread, I told her I had no idea what to charge so just give me what it was worth to her. No way in the world would i have charged her $20 for 2 loves of bread! That was one batch worth making!

TOGETHERNESS BASKET - Come together over our now famous romantic picnic basket for two in a returnable hamper. You choose the perfect setting and we'll supply everything else for a memorable interlude (please order at least 24 hours in advance). Basket includes choice of smoked salmon (sliced turkey or roast beef can be substituted), hot soup, potato or macaroni salad, fruit, Tillamook cheddar cheese hot French baguette, Martinelli sparkling cider and Harry & David truffles. $45.00.
I use the bags to keep them from being trash. I wrap everything in wax paper to make it as eco as possible. Since my lunches are for trail riding (horse or bikes), motorcycle day trips, or going to covered bridges or the winery, they have to be easy to handle. Each lunch consists of a sandwich on homemade bread (turkey, chicken, ham, or roast beef depending on diet - as in no pork - and what is on sale at the deli section of the grocery), cuke spears and baby carrots, a small Pringles (only chips that come in a container that does not crush), a bottle of cold water (to keep the lunch chilled), and a few muffins from breakfast, napkins and one lunch gets the waterless hand cleaner for both of them to use. I usually get told there was so much food they could not eat it all.
Several years ago the lunch was ham and cheese on Swedish rye and the lady said she had not had Swedish rye since her grandmother died. Would it be possible for me to make some for her to take home? "And remember I am used to paying high prices." When I gave her the bread, I told her I had no idea what to charge so just give me what it was worth to her. No way in the world would i have charged her $20 for 2 loves of bread! That was one batch worth making!
I like your bag idea. Great for future marketing. Our guests usually take their basket to the beach. I can't get away with making anything in our basket. Not even a sandwich. Our health department is very strict with it. It's a pain, and I know I can make better soups and salads than what I have to buy, but then on the other side of the coin, I don't have to spend time making soup and mac & potato salad!

i had two picnic baskets ... for guests to use. they had plates and mugs and utensils all in strapped compartments inside. i got them each for $2 at yard sales. they had not even been used i don't think.
i was not allowed to supply food. but the baskets were popular. and always returned - could be because i wrote the name of the b&b in permanent marker on the bottom and on the inside (on the inside i did it small and 'pretty') and on the lid i had tied in an inn post card tied on, looped through the weaving with ribbon. sort of as an ad incase anyone ever noticed the basket someplace.

I like your bag idea. Great for future marketing. Our guests usually take their basket to the beach. I can't get away with making anything in our basket. Not even a sandwich. Our health department is very strict with it. It's a pain, and I know I can make better soups and salads than what I have to buy, but then on the other side of the coin, I don't have to spend time making soup and mac & potato salad!
Aaahhh! Health Departments! MABB was formed as an effort (successful I might add) to keep B & B 6 rooms or less from being required to have a commercial kitchen. In the beginning ALL had to have the commercial. What is really stupid is the assumption that unless they prohibit us from making other meals, we are going to poison out guests. What is the difference between breakfast and lunch/dinner? It is still cooked! By us! And the irony is that we cook a lot healthier than restaurants with less people involved to "contaminate" to food.
I really like to be able to say only registered guests - saves me a lot of work and keeps me friends with the restaurants. I do make good sandwiches and my dinner salads have gotten rave reviews with the guests. My manicotti with homemade pasta gets them too. Funny thing is that pasta is soooo easy to make!

i had two picnic baskets ... for guests to use. they had plates and mugs and utensils all in strapped compartments inside. i got them each for $2 at yard sales. they had not even been used i don't think.
i was not allowed to supply food. but the baskets were popular. and always returned - could be because i wrote the name of the b&b in permanent marker on the bottom and on the inside (on the inside i did it small and 'pretty') and on the lid i had tied in an inn post card tied on, looped through the weaving with ribbon. sort of as an ad incase anyone ever noticed the basket someplace..
I got a couple of those at Jo-Ann Fabric a few years ago - end of season I think - for $5 or $10 each, cannot remember now. I also got a third one for less because it had a strap without a snap (kept that one for me). They are really nice! I gave them as Christmas presents. I also found a knapsack with the utensils and wine glasses (plastic) with a compartment for the bottle of wine and gave that to middle son & his wife because they were hikers (he is also the son I sent a GIANT martini glass to as a tongue in cheek).
I cannot use baskets because so many of my lunches are on the road - many times as they are going inn-to-inn. The way we work that is to use one bag from each inn for the lunches.

I offered them & was going to provide a thermal bag to take for bicyclists mostly. Due to our health dept regs, I was going to have to get boxed lunches from a local place. I could supply everything except the sandwiches and stuff like potato salad. I didn't have any takers so I took it off our web site. It can be a great contribution to the bottom line if it's something folks are looking for in your area. People here are really out & about doing other things.

We did thermal insulated bags for our picnic lunches. And of course the guests brought them back to us??? Why not???? Now, if they wanted a picnic "to go" with them on the last day of their stay, we just did it in a nice heavy duty bag with handles...you know ones you can pick up at the dollar store. I still gave them the "ice bag" which only cost $1 and it was covered in the cost of the picnic. Our guests loved their picnics.

Thanks for all of the input everyone! Where do you get your embroidered lunch sacks? How big are they, regular lunch bag style?

Thanks for all of the input everyone! Where do you get your embroidered lunch sacks? How big are they, regular lunch bag style?.
My bags are silk-screened, not embroidered. They are insulated so if I put a cold bottle of water in that bag, it keeps the sandwich cooled (I do not have to waste space with an ice pack that could possibly leak).
It is the size of a paper lunch bag and has a strap handle. I get mine from the local Sheltered Workshop - an agency that provides work for the handicapped. Look in the phone book under Yourcounty Sheltered Workshop or ask you local United Way (it is probably one of their recipients). I have found them to do good work and for less than the online companies.
Bag.jpg

My local workshop does only "soft goods" - shirts, hats, aprons, etc. I had my mini-fly swatters done by the Sheltered workshop in Parkersburg - they do "hard goods".
Edited to add the text on the handle of the swatter in case it is behind the online users list (as on my screen) reads:
Swat the Blues at Gillum House
Toll-free phone number under that (not everyone has a computer but everyone has a phone and that is why the number instead of the URL)
swatter.jpg

Thanks for all of the input everyone! Where do you get your embroidered lunch sacks? How big are they, regular lunch bag style?.
My bags are silk-screened, not embroidered. They are insulated so if I put a cold bottle of water in that bag, it keeps the sandwich cooled (I do not have to waste space with an ice pack that could possibly leak).
It is the size of a paper lunch bag and has a strap handle. I get mine from the local Sheltered Workshop - an agency that provides work for the handicapped. Look in the phone book under Yourcounty Sheltered Workshop or ask you local United Way (it is probably one of their recipients). I have found them to do good work and for less than the online companies.
Bag.jpg

My local workshop does only "soft goods" - shirts, hats, aprons, etc. I had my mini-fly swatters done by the Sheltered workshop in Parkersburg - they do "hard goods".
Edited to add the text on the handle of the swatter in case it is behind the online users list (as on my screen) reads:
Swat the Blues at Gillum House
Toll-free phone number under that (not everyone has a computer but everyone has a phone and that is why the number instead of the URL)
swatter.jpg

LOVE the bag!!

That's a nice looking bag! I like the fly swatter too, do you give those away?

That is a nice lunch bag..
Thank you. That logo is from my husbnd's drawing. I shrink it to bunisess cards and it gets enlarged to cover the bibs on aprons. It is also done as a 10% screen as background under the text on my brochures.
I got a letter from the B & B doing the cookbook and lad to chuckle - they are using the 4-color painting he did for them as part ot the return address printed on their envelopes.
I love the work from the Shwltered Workshop and also get to give me the warm & fuzzy that I am helping the handicapped. My brochure printer also hires the handicapped. That is important to us because my husband had polio that messed up his right hand and left leg - making finding a job shall we say very interesting, especially as he got older (companies moved and he did not).

That's a nice looking bag! I like the fly swatter too, do you give those away?.
I gave away mini-back scratchers for years until I got tired of pasting the labels on them. It started with our 7 year anniversary: We have the 7-year Itch. Come help us scratch it! (Inn name and toll-free on other side of handle). Then for years it said, Itching for a great Get-Away? Let us scratch it!
Yes, I now give out the swatters at trade shows etc. E-mail your address and I will send you one.

Back