Pictures of Food

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are great photos and I'd like to try that quiche. I can't believe their rates & it looks like such a nice place! Would be a nice place to spend some time on the way to the Outer Banks.

This is perfect timing. I just spent hours doing some food photos. I really want to add an additional breakfast page to my website. I'd appreciate any feedback.
Food%231.jpg

Food%233.jpg

Food%234.jpg

Yum! I'm hungry....what are the blueberry pastries? Excellent photos!.
Samster said:
Yum! I'm hungry....what are the blueberry pastries? Excellent photos!
Thanks!
The blueberry pastries are puff pastry I've cut from heart shape cookie cutter, opened up, then some Bavarian cream, blueberries or any fruit, put the top half back on and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Super easy and our guests are so impressed.

Yum! I'm hungry....what are the blueberry pastries? Excellent photos!.
Samster said:
Thanks!
The blueberry pastries are puff pastry I've cut from heart shape cookie cutter, opened up, then some Bavarian cream, blueberries or any fruit, put the top half back on and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Super easy and our guests are so impressed.
Breakfast Diva said:
Samster said:
Thanks!
WOW NICE PICS! This is what I am talkin' bout! Love the pond in the background, love the color table cloth, all very nice.

This is perfect timing. I just spent hours doing some food photos. I really want to add an additional breakfast page to my website. I'd appreciate any feedback.
Food%231.jpg

Food%233.jpg

Food%234.jpg
Very nice. Especially the outdoorsy setting.

Most of the ingredients used in the McDonalds ads are not food products at all, so I wouldn't worry about achieving that level of perfection unless you're handy at sculpting Fimo.
Here's a side-by-side comparison of what the food looks in the ads and the real thing: http://thewvsr.com/adsvsreality.htm
By the way, do you have a Brittish background? I just noticed that you spelled "yogurt" as "yoghurt" on that food page..
I'm Canadian..and I always learned to spell yoghurt as "Yoghurt." I don't know if it is a Canadian thing though....
Honour => honor
Color => colour....
What happened to this english language anyways!?
That's the British/English way of spelling. Nothing wrong with it; it's just a regional difference. American English is the result of our so-called "melting pot" culture and of 18th and 19th century illiteracy. Spelling was done phonetically early on. That's why you see so many and it wasn't until the advent of Mr. Webster's dictionary that spelling became standardized.
So, when you see misspelled words in this forum, it's because we are harkening back to an earlier and simple time.
lol-053.gif

Food%231.jpg

Food%233.jpg

Food%234.jpg
I would crop the middle shot to be a little tighter around the food. Otherwise, very well done!
thumbs_up.gif

Food%231.jpg

Food%233.jpg

Food%234.jpg
I would crop the middle shot to be a little tighter around the food. Otherwise, very well done!
thumbs_up.gif

Thank you everyone for all your comments.
Proud Texan said:
thumbs_up.gif
The middle pic I wanted to show with this one which hopefully will explain the water in the background. I just wasn't sure if this room picture should be on the breakfast page
Breakfast%20Photos%20030.jpg

And I can't tell which one is the better photo. Help!
Breakfast%20Photos%20005.jpg

Top one is better with tray direction, but white sheet underneat distracts. Bottom one I thought said DDAY until I saw the top one.

Top one is better with tray direction, but white sheet underneat distracts. Bottom one I thought said DDAY until I saw the top one..
Joe Bloggs said:
Top one is better with tray direction, but white sheet underneat distracts. Bottom one I thought said DDAY until I saw the top one.
HA!!! I never noticed it looked like it said DDAY....Thanks for giving me a look at it with a new eye! I definitely won't use that DDAY!
whattha.gif

Top one is better with tray direction, but white sheet underneat distracts. Bottom one I thought said DDAY until I saw the top one..
Joe Bloggs said:
HA!!! I never noticed it looked like it said DDAY....Thanks for giving me a look at it with a new eye! I definitely won't use that DDAY!
whattha.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
Joe Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Yeah the photo semmed quasi B&W so I thought, ah ha she has given away her location...maybe. I have fun putting pieces together from posts to see where people are located without letting the cat out of the bag.

I'm a constant reader of this forum but don't chime in very often, so I probably should qualify myself for this post. I'm primarily a professional photographer, and food is one of my areas of practice. I began doing editorial food photography (for magazines, etc.) which led into doing the same for restaurants and commercial clients. In addition to photography, I have a second business building websites for bed and breakfasts. Just today, I put a blog post up about a food photo I made for a recent website client; the Hanford House Inn in Sutter Creek.
hhbreakfast.jpg

All that being said, here's some info for anyone who wants to make some improvements to their food photography.
First of all, nearly every photo in this thread has one major flaw: they look too flat. The culprit...on camera flash. Using a basic point and shoot or even a DSLR with the flash on top, the light is all coming from about the same direction as the camera. This fills in all the nooks and crannies and completely eliminates the texture of the food making it look flat and boring. The primary goal of food photography is to make the food look appetizing. Hopefully the following tips will help your next photography project.
Rule 1: Get your light off the camera. If you don't have studio lights, consider using other light sources like windows, but know that controlling the light can be more difficult with windows. Light your food from the back to show texture, fill light where needed from the front using reflectors. As a point of reference, the photo on the blog post is done with 4 studio strobes and 3 reflectors in the Hanford House dining room. Getting everything just right took more than 60 exposures before we put the food on the table.
Rule 2: Use real food. You're not making an ad for Chili's, you're showing your actual product. That being said, get everything set first, then place fresh food in the set.
Rule 3: Don't try to make food photos during breakfast. Focus on your work, then set aside some time in the afternoon for food photography. It's time consuming and done right, it will require your constant attention and plenty of time.
Rule 4: Get low and get close. Overhead shots are boring and unappetizing. Low angle shots show the food much better.
Rule 5: Learn how to post process your photos in Photoshop. Make the colors pop, sharpen as necessary and crop creatively to make the images interesting.
Rule 6: Placement is everything! For some shoots I hire a food stylist who specializes in creating the set. All I have to do is light it and shoot it.
Sometimes food photography can be very frustrating because it doesn't look the way you want it to. Don't worry, like someone else said above, it's an art people go to school for. You can either live with your results or hire a professional. Hopefully the things listed above will help improve your pix just a bit.
Bill Foster

I'm a constant reader of this forum but don't chime in very often, so I probably should qualify myself for this post. I'm primarily a professional photographer, and food is one of my areas of practice. I began doing editorial food photography (for magazines, etc.) which led into doing the same for restaurants and commercial clients. In addition to photography, I have a second business building websites for bed and breakfasts. Just today, I put a blog post up about a food photo I made for a recent website client; the Hanford House Inn in Sutter Creek.
hhbreakfast.jpg

All that being said, here's some info for anyone who wants to make some improvements to their food photography.
First of all, nearly every photo in this thread has one major flaw: they look too flat. The culprit...on camera flash. Using a basic point and shoot or even a DSLR with the flash on top, the light is all coming from about the same direction as the camera. This fills in all the nooks and crannies and completely eliminates the texture of the food making it look flat and boring. The primary goal of food photography is to make the food look appetizing. Hopefully the following tips will help your next photography project.
Rule 1: Get your light off the camera. If you don't have studio lights, consider using other light sources like windows, but know that controlling the light can be more difficult with windows. Light your food from the back to show texture, fill light where needed from the front using reflectors. As a point of reference, the photo on the blog post is done with 4 studio strobes and 3 reflectors in the Hanford House dining room. Getting everything just right took more than 60 exposures before we put the food on the table.
Rule 2: Use real food. You're not making an ad for Chili's, you're showing your actual product. That being said, get everything set first, then place fresh food in the set.
Rule 3: Don't try to make food photos during breakfast. Focus on your work, then set aside some time in the afternoon for food photography. It's time consuming and done right, it will require your constant attention and plenty of time.
Rule 4: Get low and get close. Overhead shots are boring and unappetizing. Low angle shots show the food much better.
Rule 5: Learn how to post process your photos in Photoshop. Make the colors pop, sharpen as necessary and crop creatively to make the images interesting.
Rule 6: Placement is everything! For some shoots I hire a food stylist who specializes in creating the set. All I have to do is light it and shoot it.
Sometimes food photography can be very frustrating because it doesn't look the way you want it to. Don't worry, like someone else said above, it's an art people go to school for. You can either live with your results or hire a professional. Hopefully the things listed above will help improve your pix just a bit.
Bill Foster.
THanks for the tips. Share more anytime. Love your photo!

hhbreakfast.jpg

Bill Foster.
That is great info William.
That's a great point about the on-camera flash. You can clearly see in your sample photo there that if you had a flash on your camera, that the shadows under the plate, silverware, tea bags, and tea cup would all be missing. The Flash would have eliminated them.
Thanks for sharing.

The funny part is this about William's photo posting - I know that most of us here looked past the photo as a whole and into it and to determing if it was a canoli cream on that french toast. I also was looking for the fork and realized it may have been left out to minimize the image distractions. I like the color contrasts with the tea bags and the tea pot to the berries. Nice.

Back