Pictures of the innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

Reaction score
so, I was just snooping around some of your websites and it occurred that none of the ones that I have seen, including my own, has a picture of the innkeepers. A long time ago I read somewhere that it is a pretty good idea to do that, it "makes the website more personal". Now I know why my picture isn't on the website, I take terrible pics.
What is the reason your picture isn't on your website?

Mine is on there! It's a terrible picture of hubs and I, but a wonderful pic of our Golden Retriever. I can't tell you how many people tell me they book because of her! All of you, get your pics on your site...your guests want to know WHO you are regardless of what you THINK you look like!

My picture is on my web site - somewhere (on about us) plus on my blog I have a couple photos of me playing with the alumni band at my old high school. DH officially is not the innkeeper, just half owner of he house and volunteer dish washer.

Ours is on there...I won't book at any B&B that does not have owner photos and/or a blurb. I want to know who's house I'm staying at.

So, I must have looked at NOT YOUR sites, heehee. I'll go and snoop some more

I've been re-thinking this, but up to now have thought:
Who cares to know what we look like. They want see the room, maybe the bathroom, and maybe some pix of the breakfast.
But if its a deal breaker to not have photos of us...then up they will go.
-KathleenM

Who cares to know what we look like. They want see the room, maybe the bathroom, and maybe some pix of the breakfast.
-KathleenM.
Skamokawa said:
-KathleenM
It is part of the hospitality we are trying to sell/portray. The diff btwn a B&B and a hotel. A smiling innkeeper is a welcome sight!

Oh no, Joey convinced me I had to have my pic on my website. Before that I just didn't see the purpose. It's not something I look for.

-KathleenM.
If you were a hotel yes. If you want to accentuate the fact that you are a B&B, and the personal service and atmosphere that comes wtih it, best to show yourselves! If you don't, you may draw more "hotel people" than you would like.

-KathleenM.
If you were a hotel yes. If you want to accentuate the fact that you are a B&B, and the personal service and atmosphere that comes wtih it, best to show yourselves! If you don't, you may draw more "hotel people" than you would like.
Funny thing is I've never had a guest mention the photo on the website. It hasn't increased occ. No one says, 'Where's the lady in the pic on the website?' when they see me and I don't look a bit like the pic.

-KathleenM.
Funny thing is I've never had a guest mention the photo on the website. It hasn't increased occ. No one says, 'Where's the lady in the pic on the website?' when they see me and I don't look a bit like the pic.
Don't they ask about the dog??? Ours gets more mention than anything else on our website! People know her by name when they get here.

No one ever really mentions our photo either (although they certainly do mention the photos of the dogs often enough, and want to meet them before even heading to their rooms). I like to think that those photos contribute to the "feel" of our place and reinforces the fact that they will be staying at our home.
Do those of you who have staff mention that on your websites? Do guests ever seem suprised that you use hired help...or am I the only one that cares about that when I travel??!! :)

I like seeing a picture of the Innkeepers. I would never bring up the fact that I saw your picture unless there was a reason to. Unless there was something about the picture that really made it stand out I will have forgotton what you look like by the time I actually get there
teeth_smile.gif
. For me it's not a deal breaker if you don't have a picture up since the majority don't, but it's nice when you do.
We stayed at one over the Summer up in Maine and I did remember the picture because I was suprised that it was a fairly young couple with 2 kids that were the Innkeepers of a 2 house Inn with something like 15 rooms (was wondering how they afforded it!). Come to find out they were the Innkeepers and NOT owners, interesting to hear their story!

-KathleenM.
Bree said:
You know my line for that...absence of proof is not proof of absence.
I have pages and pages on our website, most guests don't mention ANY of them. A guest has never ever mentioned our rooms page to me, yet I KNOW they look at it, they have to.

No one ever really mentions our photo either (although they certainly do mention the photos of the dogs often enough, and want to meet them before even heading to their rooms). I like to think that those photos contribute to the "feel" of our place and reinforces the fact that they will be staying at our home.
Do those of you who have staff mention that on your websites? Do guests ever seem suprised that you use hired help...or am I the only one that cares about that when I travel??!! :).
Little Blue said:
Do those of you who have staff mention that on your websites? Do guests ever seem suprised that you use hired help...or am I the only one that cares about that when I travel??!! :)
A while ago, might have been just before you joined the forum, GG was travelling North and relayed to us some bad experiences. I had asked her about that, did you book larger inns? I mean 8 rooms and up? Yes every one was larger. (She can correct me if I am remembering wrong). But the point was - she did NOT get personal service at most of them - why? They owners were not hands on. She blogged her travels at the time.

I like seeing a picture of the Innkeepers. I would never bring up the fact that I saw your picture unless there was a reason to. Unless there was something about the picture that really made it stand out I will have forgotton what you look like by the time I actually get there
teeth_smile.gif
. For me it's not a deal breaker if you don't have a picture up since the majority don't, but it's nice when you do.
We stayed at one over the Summer up in Maine and I did remember the picture because I was suprised that it was a fairly young couple with 2 kids that were the Innkeepers of a 2 house Inn with something like 15 rooms (was wondering how they afforded it!). Come to find out they were the Innkeepers and NOT owners, interesting to hear their story!.
Most people won't put photos of their kids on the website anyway.

OMG! I was curious to see the those Innkeepers still were at the Inn we stayed at and I couldn't find their picture so I googled it and this is what I came up with:
www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20091020-NEWS-910209980
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
and to think I was there with my 18 year old daughter and there was only us the 1 other couple in the whole building.....(it was off season still)!

-KathleenM.
Don't they ask about the dog??? Ours gets more mention than anything else on our website! People know her by name when they get here.
InnsiderInfo said:
Not at all, which is why I don't think many guests see the pic. Also, my stats show not many hits on that page. But, you may have heard me say this before, a lot of guests book without even knowing we have a website. They get our phone number from wherever and just call.
Given the extensive coverage the dog gets on the blog, you would think guests would mention her!

Back