Pillows

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for good pillows? Something with a density to please the most people? Anything you consider to be long wearing, and hold their shape well?

Chiming in on this request. I seem to be replacing them after just a month or so.
-KathleenM

Honestly, I usually just got what was on sale. I bought lots of bed pillows and put 4 on each bed. some soft, some hard, some med.
And told folks if the pillows weren't ok for them, to let me know, I had bunches that they could swap out with. Mostly I got mine at Penneys or Kohls.

I have 4 on each bed and there are 2 that are firmer and 2 that are down alternative. I have 2 additional feather pillows in each closet. I just bought different ones at TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning, or Marshalls for around $10 each, so they are about mid-quality.

Chiming in on this request. I seem to be replacing them after just a month or so.
-KathleenM.
Skamokawa said:
-KathleenM
replacing them after only a month or so? this is astounding to me. i had four pillows on each bed and 2 spare in each room and thought they were still fine after a couple years. they were down alternative and i had them inside water repellent cases inside pillow cases. what kind of pillows need replacing after a month?

We are trying to get a handle on the pillow issues. We bought some very nice ones and, we are not 100% sure but we are watching much closer now, it seems they are being downgraded, if you get my drift.......we will be marking OUR pillows in some inconspicous way
lightbulb.gif

We are trying to get a handle on the pillow issues. We bought some very nice ones and, we are not 100% sure but we are watching much closer now, it seems they are being downgraded, if you get my drift.......we will be marking OUR pillows in some inconspicous way
lightbulb.gif
I vaguely wonder.....One really nice one seems to have gone missing, can't find its mate with the same ticking.....but I'm never short a pillow, it just seems that they get on the lumpy side remarkably quickly. Maybe I'm just too picky. Own own pillows seem to last six months or more. My husband needs a lot of loft on his, that stays put.
Our guests have not been hard on sheets or towels, just a weird mysterious pillow thing.
Off topic: Had a tea stain on a white cotton blanket last week. Didn't see it until they left...extra blanket on top. It did come out, with oxy-clean and a lot of elbow (knuckle) grease. Relief. Love that blanket. Always comes out of the wash looking great.
KathleenM

I have 6 on each bed. 4 standards and 2 Kings in shams. Mine are a mix of Beauty Rest and feather pillows. Folks seem to like one or the other. I got mine at Linens and Things, the Wamsutta outlet and Kolhs. (2 of the 3 places are out of business now. I really miss the Wamsutta outlet).

On our last vacation, we stayed at a 5* luxury resort. I'm a bargain shopper, so no, I didn't pay 5* prices! On their website, they said our room came with a "pillow menu".
What it was, was in the closet there were pairs of bout 5 different pillows you could choose from as well as the ones on the bed. It was great to have a choice! Of course we're not going to put that many in our rooms, but the ones we do have are different types so hopefully the guest will like at least one of them. We have 4 pillows in their cases, then 2 decorate in pillow shams.

On our last vacation, we stayed at a 5* luxury resort. I'm a bargain shopper, so no, I didn't pay 5* prices! On their website, they said our room came with a "pillow menu".
What it was, was in the closet there were pairs of bout 5 different pillows you could choose from as well as the ones on the bed. It was great to have a choice! Of course we're not going to put that many in our rooms, but the ones we do have are different types so hopefully the guest will like at least one of them. We have 4 pillows in their cases, then 2 decorate in pillow shams..
Can you imagine? A pillow menu. See this is part of the issue with the guests requesting everything especially for them, food, pillows, coverlets...I remember my niece coming to eat when she was little and asked what was for dinner. I told her. She said, But what are my choices? Choices? I just told you what we are having for dinner.
"America: The land of multiple choice"

What it was, was in the closet there were pairs of bout 5 different pillows you could choose from as well as the ones on the bed. It was great to have a choice! Of course we're not going to put that many in our rooms, but the ones we do have are different types so hopefully the guest will like at least one of them. We have 4 pillows in their cases, then 2 decorate in pillow shams..
Can you imagine? A pillow menu. See this is part of the issue with the guests requesting everything especially for them, food, pillows, coverlets...I remember my niece coming to eat when she was little and asked what was for dinner. I told her. She said, But what are my choices? Choices? I just told you what we are having for dinner.
I actually stayed at a B & B where there was a "pillow closet"
You could go in there and make your own choice of pillow..whichever suited your needs best. I had thought about doing that..and I did come close..but never "invited" guests to go in and pick their own.

You could go in there and make your own choice of pillow..whichever suited your needs best. I had thought about doing that..and I did come close..but never "invited" guests to go in and pick their own.
catlady said:
The worst is, and I had this yesterday: I have two pillows on the bed, 3 in the closet or wardrobe. I use the beater pillows in the shams...it makes me wild when I find them pulled out and used under their bed pillows - surely they can see the extras in the closet! ICK! Those aren't meant for human eyes. They are all dogged and ugly. I keep covers on them but they are not the nice new covers (within the shams themselves).

We just bought two soft and two firm for each room and then got two memory foam ones that are in the chest if they want them. The memory foams are taken out about 10% of the time.
RIki

We just bought two soft and two firm for each room and then got two memory foam ones that are in the chest if they want them. The memory foams are taken out about 10% of the time.
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
The memory foam are hot, they heat up too much.
BTW I have never found the right pillow, I buy them and buy them and can't seem to find a good one that fits right for me.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
BTW I have never found the right pillow, I buy them and buy them and can't seem to find a good one that fits right for me.
Joe Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
RIki
I had that problem too. Then I found the 'Buckys' Buckwheat hull pillows. They mold to support you and they breathe.
http://www.bucky.com/catalog/controller.php?pg=category&cat=SLE

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Joe Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
RIki
I had that problem too. Then I found the 'Buckys' Buckwheat hull pillows. They mold to support you and they breathe.
Do the buckwheat pillows stink? I ask as I tried another one and the smell got to me with my face right there.
I already clicked on the link!
I am always searching for the right pillow, at least twice a year and none of them pan out. I end up with fake down that I can scrunch and mold around my head and neck and still wake up with a stiff neck and headache.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Joe Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Do the buckwheat pillows stink? I ask as I tried another one and the smell got to me with my face right there.
I am always searching for the right pillow, at least twice a year and none of them pan out. I end up with fake down that I can scrunch and mold around my head and neck and still wake up with a stiff neck and headache.
Joe Bloggs said:
I don't recall any strange odor with mine. I have had it for about 15 years and that detail is lost in time. I can tell you that there are different quality levels of BW pillows, so perhaps some smell and others don't? Anyway, I am pretty happy with mine and it also makes a great travel pillow. I have flown to europe several times with my bucky. That gives me a consistent pillow anywhere I sleep.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Joe Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
RIki
See that is what I was going to ask. I am still not sure this would be comfortable for me.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Joe Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Joe Bloggs said:
I don't recall any strange odor with mine. I have had it for about 15 years and that detail is lost in time. I can tell you that there are different quality levels of BW pillows, so perhaps some smell and others don't? Anyway, I am pretty happy with mine and it also makes a great travel pillow. I have flown to europe several times with my bucky. That gives me a consistent pillow anywhere I sleep.
I looked at some online reviews and overall 100% thrilled with the buckwheat pillows (the good quality), but they say you will need to adjust to the crunching sound and the slight odor at first. The crunching sound is the part that gets me, and they all wrote it took a few days to get past it. Since I toss and turn and toss and turn, will this drive me crazy? I need to test one out. The last thing I want is the sound of mice chewing all night in my ear! haha But the descriptions sound terrific about helping neck pain, headaches...etc

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Joe Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Joe Bloggs said:
I looked at some online reviews and overall 100% thrilled with the buckwheat pillows (the good quality), but they say you will need to adjust to the crunching sound and the slight odor at first. The crunching sound is the part that gets me, and they all wrote it took a few days to get past it. Since I toss and turn and toss and turn, will this drive me crazy? I need to test one out. The last thing I want is the sound of mice chewing all night in my ear! haha But the descriptions sound terrific about helping neck pain, headaches...etc
OH gheez....toss and turn..that is me...Crunching sound??? OH my..that would drive me insane. Think I will skip this one. If you get it, let me know.

Back