Pita alert

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Reaction score
WOW our last guest and think they are going to be thee one!! Started yesterday time of arrival was between 4 and 6 . Did not arrive till 8:30 . They wanted breakfast at *8:30 so we deliver Not him He just stepped into shower GGGGUGH! Good thing I am doing pears and muffin and egg benny . Walked into suite every light was on Every one ! Left 2 lights on over night. OH BoY!!!! we have 3 more breakfast to do. hey you left your key . Oh well we are going out to shop for food hope he does not come back till 3 or so.
They came back at 9pm . We asked them to please lock there doors when they leave. She said no I never do that at home my door is always open. I said well here we have strangers that could just walk in and take any thing . Some people never knock on the door they just walk in. We are a business here. We just would feel safer if you would be so kind to lock the door when you leave. his reply was my students stole my car and broke into my house so I lock every thing!!!!! Guest that told me they were not married .... and he hopefully will lock up when he leaves this house. two more days and counting.....
Then we walk into house phone is ring answer next guest said we are here and will see you in a few mins. Darn it .315 we don't open till 4:00 oh well now we will have him in early . I have a bad feeling about this one. He has been stalking us for a few weeks now. So time will tell if he is going to be another PITA.
This one is not demanding. But when we went down to turn down bed OH MY Oh My what a mess in one hour food left out popcorn made cloths all over the place , suite case on floor open and chesterfield left open and cloths hanging out. bed in a mess. This people are about 40ish. Thought we had a 2o year old here. ??? Oh well today they are leaving us so most of the mess will be gone. BUT OH the beautiful BIG diamonds she wears. None under 1 caret. Think they are very used to maid service.

The ones that amaze us are those that comment on how great they think it is that we have a gold award from the gre entouri smaward scheme, and then go out for the day leaving all the lights on.

The couple checking out left aying goodbyes. I did not notice the car was still in front of the house (her cor vette). Suddenly I see him coming up on the porch asking to use the facilities before they left. OK but be careful as I have the shower curtain down and it is splayed on the floor (I needed to get the laundry going before I went further up there). After he leaves I see the light is on in that bathroom. Center light, I am going to eat breakfast before i go uptairs again.
Should have gone up then. He left ALL the lights and fans on! The room is NOT dark - it is a sunny day and thre is a window near the window (I have sheers on all windows to block seeing in). ALL the lights - even in the shower!

We have a family of 3 in a smallish room. Heat was turned up to 75 and they were gone. We have all kinds of blankets and duvets on the beds. I cannot imagine anyone was cold in that room all night long.

Is it just that season for PITAs? We just got a call from a 3rd party booking agency saying one of our guests wants to end his trip early without penalty because we don't have an air conditioner. We don't advertise having one. In fact, we advertise that we *DON'T* have one. He "thought it would be cooler this time of year". Our temperature fluctuates about 7 degrees over the course of the whole year and right now it typically feels warmer because the trade winds are gone. Don't people research these things before booking travel??
Then, he's irritated as he's here for work and staying in our smallest and cheapest room and it doesn't have a desk in it. It's $125+tax and we are literally *ON* the beach in Hawaii. What is he expecting??
I just have to smile and think of my signature...
This is starting to look like the "weed out" month and I'm just not sure we're going to make the cut.

Is it just that season for PITAs? We just got a call from a 3rd party booking agency saying one of our guests wants to end his trip early without penalty because we don't have an air conditioner. We don't advertise having one. In fact, we advertise that we *DON'T* have one. He "thought it would be cooler this time of year". Our temperature fluctuates about 7 degrees over the course of the whole year and right now it typically feels warmer because the trade winds are gone. Don't people research these things before booking travel??
Then, he's irritated as he's here for work and staying in our smallest and cheapest room and it doesn't have a desk in it. It's $125+tax and we are literally *ON* the beach in Hawaii. What is he expecting??
This is starting to look like the "weed out" month and I'm just not sure we're going to make the cut..
If all was posted loud and clear on your site ..that is his problem...but...do you have a policy written and on your site to effect. Payment in full upon check in. Early departures, no refund unless emergency. or..something like that.
Give an inch and they take and expect a mile!!!

This is starting to look like the "weed out" month and I'm just not sure we're going to make the cut..
in the UK very few properties have air con = it just isn't hot enough here to bother ie maybe 3 days a year it would be worth it - had a call "do you have air con?" sorry no but we are a stone building do don't really have a problem with being over warm - even in July? yes even in July - do you know where does? no where in my town for a start!

in the UK very few properties have air con = it just isn't hot enough here to bother ie maybe 3 days a year it would be worth it - had a call "do you have air con?" sorry no but we are a stone building do don't really have a problem with being over warm - even in July? yes even in July - do you know where does? no where in my town for a start!
I've been asked if we have air con as well. We have desk fans in the rooms and they've probably been out of the cupboard 3 times this summer, and this has been better than most.

On the other hand, we had two couples that sat in the common room all evening sipping tea and chatting. So cool.
Funniest reason for being here award - our house is about 20 minutes from Salem, Massachusetts, the Halloween capital of the world (or of the East Coast, anyway.) She wanted a room so she could get out of Salem for a night and avoid the zombies and witches and amature drunks. :)

Had a no show Friday. Stayed up latish waiting for him. (Rez had been made weeks before when we didn't realize how important it was to get all info so no phone number.)
Had two inquiries into the empty room on Saturday. No takers. (First floor room. Nice, but not very private.) NoShow shows up Saturday evening!! Luckily, for some reason, the room is not booked, so we take his card and run the charge, give him a tour, the speech and the key and he goes to dinner. His wife calls about 1/2 hour later and says they changed their mind, they don't want to stay. Hubby says, you have my key. Oh, she says, we are at dinner, we'll bring it back. So they do. Hubby, in a rare moment of superstition, refunds his money thinking that room has bad mojo this weekend. NoShow hands over the key and leaves.
Only to come back a minute later. Wife (who has never set foot in the inn, just stays in the car) wants a receipt of the refund!!!!!! That we had not obligation to give her!!!!!!
A lot of work for an unrented room!

On the other hand, we had two couples that sat in the common room all evening sipping tea and chatting. So cool.
Funniest reason for being here award - our house is about 20 minutes from Salem, Massachusetts, the Halloween capital of the world (or of the East Coast, anyway.) She wanted a room so she could get out of Salem for a night and avoid the zombies and witches and amature drunks. :).
TheBeachHouse said:
Funniest reason for being here award - our house is about 20 minutes from Salem, Massachusetts, the Halloween capital of the world (or of the East Coast, anyway.) She wanted a room so she could get out of Salem for a night and avoid the zombies and witches and amature drunks. :)
as good a reason and I have ever heard...

Had a no show Friday. Stayed up latish waiting for him. (Rez had been made weeks before when we didn't realize how important it was to get all info so no phone number.)
Had two inquiries into the empty room on Saturday. No takers. (First floor room. Nice, but not very private.) NoShow shows up Saturday evening!! Luckily, for some reason, the room is not booked, so we take his card and run the charge, give him a tour, the speech and the key and he goes to dinner. His wife calls about 1/2 hour later and says they changed their mind, they don't want to stay. Hubby says, you have my key. Oh, she says, we are at dinner, we'll bring it back. So they do. Hubby, in a rare moment of superstition, refunds his money thinking that room has bad mojo this weekend. NoShow hands over the key and leaves.
Only to come back a minute later. Wife (who has never set foot in the inn, just stays in the car) wants a receipt of the refund!!!!!! That we had not obligation to give her!!!!!!
A lot of work for an unrented room!.
People do thee strangest things. Don't they? Maybe she needed receipt to prove there was no charge.???
I know this innkeeper is beat and grumpy LOL Just have a few more days and we are gone ! Still have to load the travel home, and do a lot of yard work . The guys are coming in on wed. to clean all the carpets. The company looking after the house while we are gone will be here later today to look around . The last guest leaves today !! Ya Hoo. .
Clean the suite for the last time this year. Do a few loads of washing make the bed iron sheets fold and put away till next year.DH said tonight we are going to celebrate our last guest to leave. Going out for dinner!!!!!!! I am not cooking supper tonight nor am I doing breakfast tomorrow.
Then tomorrow we start to do the things we need to do to get out of here and do our bucket list holiday!
It is really going to happen!!! It has taken us 30 years to do this . I am so excited and scared all rolled into one.

People do thee strangest things. Don't they? Maybe she needed receipt to prove there was no charge.???
I know this innkeeper is beat and grumpy LOL Just have a few more days and we are gone ! Still have to load the travel home, and do a lot of yard work . The guys are coming in on wed. to clean all the carpets. The company looking after the house while we are gone will be here later today to look around . The last guest leaves today !! Ya Hoo. .
Clean the suite for the last time this year. Do a few loads of washing make the bed iron sheets fold and put away till next year.DH said tonight we are going to celebrate our last guest to leave. Going out for dinner!!!!!!! I am not cooking supper tonight nor am I doing breakfast tomorrow.
Then tomorrow we start to do the things we need to do to get out of here and do our bucket list holiday!
It is really going to happen!!! It has taken us 30 years to do this . I am so excited and scared all rolled into one.
Flower said:
HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME AWAY! You deserve it.

BTW, if you just ran the card and then you did a refund there is an easier way...void the transaction. Then you don't pay for the processing because technically 'nothing happened'.
Check your 'books' today to be sure you didn't refund them for something that never went thru.

BTW, if you just ran the card and then you did a refund there is an easier way...void the transaction. Then you don't pay for the processing because technically 'nothing happened'.
Check your 'books' today to be sure you didn't refund them for something that never went thru.
Madeleine said:
Thaks. I sent your tip to my husband. He'll double check. But he likely did at the time. He has an accountant's brain.

Enjoy!!!!!

Madeleine said:
I double checked. He voided the transaction.

Flower said:
HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME AWAY! You deserve it.
Thank you both.
I am not sure I deserve this.. But my sweet DH sure does. He is so easy going. Through all this hassles people , lawyers , wills and all the other things that has happen this year. He is a keeper. My rock.

Back