Pita Powers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Well y'all I have a pita about to check in. How do you know that? you ask. Trust me the birds are squaking the dogs are hiding in their dog houses with their tails between their legs...there is a pita about to arrive.
I need to feel the strength of my innmates as this person already has gotten under my skin. They are switching rooms after a day as they MUST have a king bed and they are all taken. They already called about bringing two dogs, and already called about cancelling since they have friends elsewhere in the state and want to visit with them instead. The powers of the pita are upon me, I am feeling restless and anxious and stressed. I WILL STAND FIRM. LET THE PITAS DARTS BOUNCE OFF ME.
After working my toosh (sp?) off today, I am here now not knowing when they will hit...only knowing, that yes indeed, they will hit.

Tush.
And, yes, all your innmate buddies are standing behind you pushing back the power of the PITA. If there are dogs, tell them to go away and charge them for one night.
I hate when guests change rooms after one night. Have that this week, and we didn't get to show them their new room so, of course, this morning they wanted to know how this works and how that works. So now I have to check to be sure they didn't break anything trying to make it work.

Tush.
And, yes, all your innmate buddies are standing behind you pushing back the power of the PITA. If there are dogs, tell them to go away and charge them for one night.
I hate when guests change rooms after one night. Have that this week, and we didn't get to show them their new room so, of course, this morning they wanted to know how this works and how that works. So now I have to check to be sure they didn't break anything trying to make it work..
Your dogs are telling you Pitas are coming, your gut is telling you Pitas are coming.......It's pretty clear pitas are coming. So sorry. But I know from your forum comments and your advise that pitas are no match for you. Just stay strong!
I have one coming Tuesday so I feel your pain.
Regarding switching rooms---I've ENCOURAGED switching a number of times in order to take a booking that won't fit any other way, and so I do try to remember that when someone insists on switching. Like Karma---it figure it all evens out.
I do have one favorite story about switching, tho. We have one fancy whirlpool room with a King bed, another with a Queen. I got a booking one time for some folks coming to a nearby big-shot hotel for marriage encounter weekend, but they decided they'd rather stay with me. Turns out it was BOTH of their birthdays that weekend, one on Friday, the other on Saturday. They asked to stay in the King room on his birthday and move to the Queen room on hers. How could I say no to something so romantic??

Can't you make some sort of extra charge for people switching rooms? If not, I think next place I stay I'll change rooms every night to find which is most quiet, which has the best view, etc.

Just had a pita check out today who was with me for 7 days. No a bad person but very, very, needy. She was afraid to be in the house if I wasn't home so she needed to know when I was going out to run errands so she could be out too. Then she would call me on my cell (I know it was a big mistake giving her my number) to find out when I was going to be back. Was afraid of other guests. Needed food microwaved. Could she use the computer. Brought her own special food, etc. You get the picture. Today was check out day. 1:30 and she was still here packing so I left. I bet she finished packing pretty fast after I was gone.

Can't you make some sort of extra charge for people switching rooms? If not, I think next place I stay I'll change rooms every night to find which is most quiet, which has the best view, etc..
We give approx 10% off nights after the first (in summer) to encourage longer stays of folk travelling through. Reduced housekeeping effort justifies it: Room change, no discount.

Can't you make some sort of extra charge for people switching rooms? If not, I think next place I stay I'll change rooms every night to find which is most quiet, which has the best view, etc..
Arkansawyer said:
Can't you make some sort of extra charge for people switching rooms? If not, I think next place I stay I'll change rooms every night to find which is most quiet, which has the best view, etc.
As much as I like it when guests spend the full 3-4-5 days in the same room, how is it possible to consider charging them to switch rooms? Unless you discount for multiple night stays, they are paying full price for every night. They should get to pick. However, I certainly don't encourage switching rooms just from a housekeeping standpoint. (I am lazy as the day is long. BUT, if you have a housekeeper, it really shouldn't matter.)

Just had a pita check out today who was with me for 7 days. No a bad person but very, very, needy. She was afraid to be in the house if I wasn't home so she needed to know when I was going out to run errands so she could be out too. Then she would call me on my cell (I know it was a big mistake giving her my number) to find out when I was going to be back. Was afraid of other guests. Needed food microwaved. Could she use the computer. Brought her own special food, etc. You get the picture. Today was check out day. 1:30 and she was still here packing so I left. I bet she finished packing pretty fast after I was gone..
OK, that's just too much. I cannot tolerate folks who can't leave me alone for 5 minutes. Well, she won't be back, but if she is, you know what to do around 10:30 AM, 'I'll be leaving the house at 11, you'll be here (alone or with those other guests), so you may want to be sure you're checked out on time.'

Arkansawyer said:
As much as I like it when guests spend the full 3-4-5 days in the same room, how is it possible to consider charging them to switch rooms? Unless you discount for multiple night stays, they are paying full price for every night. They should get to pick. However, I certainly don't encourage switching rooms just from a housekeeping standpoint. (I am lazy as the day is long. BUT, if you have a housekeeper, it really shouldn't matter.)
Morticia said:
...how is it possible to consider charging them to switch rooms?...they are paying full price for every night.
I see what you mean. It's like they could check out each day and check back in, in a different room. They're just taking away the bonus you get by having a multi-day stay in one room.
It brings to mind situations I've been in at restaurants where they refuse to split the check among the six of us at the table. One time I responded, "Then why don't we six split up and each eat at a different table? Then you would write six checks but also have to clean up six tables instead of one. We're saving you work, and freeing up 5 tables by all eating at this one."
The waiter just gave me a puzzled look and repeated that they don't split checks.

Arkansawyer said:
I will not let guests "room hop" if the room they have booked is available for all nights of their stay. If someone wants a specific room for say 2 nights, then it's not available for night 3, we'll go ahead and let them hop. But not if it's just a matter of them wanting to "try" another room. If they want to just "try", then there is a $50 cleaning fee. We have no housekeeping staff, it's just the two of us and it's just not worth it to us.

Just an update and back to breakfast, just met him...and I hugged him. HAHA! Yes I feel as if I know him so I said HEY Mikey! and Hugged him.
I have not read the responses yet here I will as soon as I serve. They called at 7pm to say they won't be here by 4pm. :) We left them a note and headed out as we had plans. For those who say they never had anyone on Sunday nights, we always do! So Sundays are rough for family time. 3 rooms this morning for breakfast, all from Jersey. Coinkeydink, yeah but good for them! They can talk corruptness and all that. (I am only saying what they say! Don't shoot me, or would you? ha ha) Sorry. Anyway, I hugged the
potty-mouth.gif

Just an update and back to breakfast, just met him...and I hugged him. HAHA! Yes I feel as if I know him so I said HEY Mikey! and Hugged him.
I have not read the responses yet here I will as soon as I serve. They called at 7pm to say they won't be here by 4pm. :) We left them a note and headed out as we had plans. For those who say they never had anyone on Sunday nights, we always do! So Sundays are rough for family time. 3 rooms this morning for breakfast, all from Jersey. Coinkeydink, yeah but good for them! They can talk corruptness and all that. (I am only saying what they say! Don't shoot me, or would you? ha ha) Sorry. Anyway, I hugged the
potty-mouth.gif
I've noticed that corruptness is their fav topic here, too.

Hopefully, you won't have to remove a horse head from one of your guest room beds.

They MUST have a king bed, it is only avail for two of the three nights, but they are checking out after two now. The wifi doesn't work here - yes, it does everyone is on it. Turkey sausage for her only everyone else had bacon, she did not eat ONE BITE of breakfast, not one bite. Surprised? Not in the least. The other jerseylicious guests said, and loud "We are members of the clean plate club!" it was a beautiful moment...
I assigned the loudest guest who I don my cousin vinny to the serving of the scrumptious starter today, which they all loved! I always find a guest who loves attention to do the serving, I have my radar out for that moment. :)
The Missus Mikey was proclaiming to all the evils of caffeine today, telling them, "One drop of caffeine stays in your system for 24 hours!" They all smiled and said "Good, pass the coffee!"
As innkeepers we take the good with the bad. The needy guests are always needy, always helpless, always demanding. They stay they pay they go away...
(PS I don't allow room swapping either, I charge them a fee to dissuade them, some guests want to see every room and stay in them!)

They MUST have a king bed, it is only avail for two of the three nights, but they are checking out after two now. The wifi doesn't work here - yes, it does everyone is on it. Turkey sausage for her only everyone else had bacon, she did not eat ONE BITE of breakfast, not one bite. Surprised? Not in the least. The other jerseylicious guests said, and loud "We are members of the clean plate club!" it was a beautiful moment...
I assigned the loudest guest who I don my cousin vinny to the serving of the scrumptious starter today, which they all loved! I always find a guest who loves attention to do the serving, I have my radar out for that moment. :)
The Missus Mikey was proclaiming to all the evils of caffeine today, telling them, "One drop of caffeine stays in your system for 24 hours!" They all smiled and said "Good, pass the coffee!"
As innkeepers we take the good with the bad. The needy guests are always needy, always helpless, always demanding. They stay they pay they go away...
(PS I don't allow room swapping either, I charge them a fee to dissuade them, some guests want to see every room and stay in them!).
How great is it when someone is making a fuss about what they will or will not eat and someone else at the table exclaims "This is AWESOME!". Those guests have a special place in my heart. The other ones...be glad they're leaving. SEE YA!!!!!

(PS I don't allow room swapping either, I charge them a fee to dissuade them, some guests want to see every room and stay in them!).
But did they show up with the dogs? I am ALWAYS suspicious of late arrivers who have called with multiple requests for kids/pets/whatever.

I am not sure, didn't hear any and they just left. I will go see if I find dog hair in a minute.

I want to say thank you for all the gyrations and innmate decoy rockets to divert homing torpedoes from the PITAS. You all gave me strength to be ON for them, to not begrudge but to bounce them off my innkeeper flackjacket back.
My secret? I smothered them with kindness. It worked, it really did. They are headin' back to Joisey.

I want to say thank you for all the gyrations and innmate decoy rockets to divert homing torpedoes from the PITAS. You all gave me strength to be ON for them, to not begrudge but to bounce them off my innkeeper flackjacket back.
My secret? I smothered them with kindness. It worked, it really did. They are headin' back to Joisey..
Joey Bloggs said:
...My secret? I smothered them with kindness.
Or you could just smother them. Either method is satisfying.

My secret? I smothered them with kindness. It worked, it really did. They are headin' back to Joisey..
Joey Bloggs said:
...My secret? I smothered them with kindness.
Or you could just smother them. Either method is satisfying.
teeth_smile.gif
There are several I would like to do this to this week...especially the people who booked our historic Inn and then grumbled all the way in about lack of elevator even though I was carrying all their bags. Old and cranky...hopefully they are better after a good dinner.

Back