PITA Radar

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using an online system, maybe you should just block the one nighters out, so it appears that you don't have them.
HA!
teeth_smile.gif
look at how popular you are, booked solid with a two night minimum 7 days a week!!.
That's a good suggestion. I thought about it, but when we have a cancellation that borders one of those open one-night slots there is no way I would remember to re-open it so that someone else could grab the entire opening. The other reason is that if I block off all the one nighters so they aren't visible, then the availability calendar becomes one solid color and people think we are wide open (the color key requires them to read a few words, which of course they don't read), so they start calling saying that the reservations system is broken.
On occaison we might allow a 1 nighter in, if it happens to fall on day where the other rooms don't need to be flipped or something like that. When we decide to allow a one nighter, it will be on our terms when it suits us and when the person seems like a nice person. Definitely not to someone who jumps right in with caps and exclamation points blazing
teeth_smile.gif

As we get closer to the end of the season I'll post a financial breakdown of how many nights we lost compared to other years as a result of the full-time 2-night minimum. I know it has already made a difference in my DW's workload and attitude.
swirt said:
That's a good suggestion. I thought about it, but when we have a cancellation that borders one of those open one-night slots there is no way I would remember to re-open it so that someone else could grab the entire opening. The other reason is that if I block off all the one nighters so they aren't visible, then the availability calendar becomes one solid color and people think we are wide open (the color key requires them to read a few words, which of course they don't read), so they start calling saying that the reservations system is broken.
Just had that this morning. Went over it on the phone with the guest...'What do YOU see? Do you see prices or that the date is blocked?' (I specifically used the word 'blocked'.)
Guest- Oh, yes, my mistake.
I am calling SI today to see if they will make my booked rooms show red, like you said...'Red means stop.'
On the other point...the money isn't the issue right now (you may even find there is NO loss of revenue), the issue is dw's happiness.
There has to be some loss of revenue because when we didn't have a constant 2-night minimum, most of those gaps would definitely fill in. But you are right...DW's happiness is what matters....possibly because her happiness also effects my happiness :)

If you are using an online system, maybe you should just block the one nighters out, so it appears that you don't have them.
HA!
teeth_smile.gif
look at how popular you are, booked solid with a two night minimum 7 days a week!!.
On occaison we might allow a 1 nighter in, if it happens to fall on day where the other rooms don't need to be flipped or something like that. When we decide to allow a one nighter, it will be on our terms when it suits us and when the person seems like a nice person. Definitely not to someone who jumps right in with caps and exclamation points blazing
teeth_smile.gif

As we get closer to the end of the season I'll post a financial breakdown of how many nights we lost compared to other years as a result of the full-time 2-night minimum. I know it has already made a difference in my DW's workload and attitude.
swirt said:
Just had that this morning. Went over it on the phone with the guest...'What do YOU see? Do you see prices or that the date is blocked?' (I specifically used the word 'blocked'.)
I am calling SI today to see if they will make my booked rooms show red, like you said...'Red means stop.'
On the other point...the money isn't the issue right now (you may even find there is NO loss of revenue), the issue is dw's happiness.
There has to be some loss of revenue because when we didn't have a constant 2-night minimum, most of those gaps would definitely fill in. But you are right...DW's happiness is what matters....possibly because her happiness also effects my happiness :)
swirt said:
He rules the roost, she rules the rooster.

HA!
teeth_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

swirt said:
swirt said:
If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
(Sorry these one line bumper stickers are being drawn out by the chinese food I had for lunch, dang that msg!)

All I can say is "ouch"! There is an awful lot of meanness in those communications from that person.
I think you were right to finally let it go. This person would have just gone on & on about how you don't know how to run a business, etc. Interesting to me that someone could be so ugly & expect you to offer up your accommodations with a great big smile.
I have much to learn.....
Fortunately these kind of things are relatively few and far between. Most guest are great and most potential guests are too ... but man there are some annoying personalities in the World and when they cross your path it sucks (for a lack of any more eloquent way of saying it).
swirt said:
it sucks (for a lack of any more eloquent way of saying it).
"It casts a pall on the day."
"It causes great pain and considerable annoyance."
"It causes the birds to be silent and the sun to fade."
"It causes dogs to howl at midday."
Should I stop now?
Bree said:
swirt said:
it sucks (for a lack of any more eloquent way of saying it).
"It casts a pall on the day."
"It causes great pain and considerable annoyance."
"It causes the birds to be silent and the sun to fade."
"It causes dogs to howl at midday."
Should I stop now?
All of those are wonderful (esp. the one about the sun), but not as good as "it sucks." The brevity and crudeness complete the meaning.
=)
Kk.

HA!
teeth_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

swirt said:
I wouldn't bother because it doesn't matter. DW's happy attitude is priceless.
=)
Kk.

HA!
teeth_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

swirt said:
=)
Kk.
You know me, it is all about facts and details.

HA!
teeth_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

swirt said:
=)
Kk.
You know me, it is all about facts and details.
Fact: dw is happy.
Detail: dw is deliriously, wondrously, marvelously, ecstactically happy, particularly on that day when that guest will not arrive.
Some things don't have price tags...
=)
Kk.

We want what we want... give it to us... we'll start with cajolery, plus guilt, plus a little bribery, plus some umbrage... you must give in eventually!
Some people just have to have the last word. You were right not to respond again.
What a great lesson about the PITA radar! I was reading through hoping you didn't give in and say yes. My radar is getting better, but still murky compared to all you wise ones' radars.
=)
Kk.

Back