PITA Research

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
In our quest for answers and looking at the Inn we are going to and the Inns that are in that area (N) we are conducting a study and all of you are all over the country so....are PITA's more prevelent in the North or the South. In 7 years we have had perhaps 2 PITAs thats why we ask.
Thanks!

Not actually sure how to answer that, the question would have to be geared more for "Where are your pita guests from?" vs where the inn is located, right?
ie, you may have an inn in San Fran and 90% of your guests are NOT from the West Coast at all.
Whereas we have an inn on the opposite coast and find many of our West Coast guests are pita-esque.
whattha.gif

I plead the fifth.... We never thought of breaking it down to individual states.

Not sure where you are headed, I can't believe you didn't have many. I don't think we can make generalizations about them...but if Alibi says you will have a boatload, she must know something :)

Catlady: I guess the Pita thing is up to what you can take? But we've had maybe a total of two or three since we've been innkeepers and that is the worse of the worse...not just a little PITA but a huge PITA that makes you so angry you wanna cry (only had two of those).
thanks so much Alibi---have any idea why
Ok Joey you are right about that and we will have to look at the demographics of were our guests have come from but when we had our B & B in WV they came from all over the world; here in the delta they are coming from within 2-3 hours from here maybe 5 hours. Another do the ones that are more afluent tend to be more Pita-esque? than the middle of the roads?

Of the 3 that are on my DNR list (the real PITAS) they come form near and far, North & south, east & west.
So does all the great guests! So it is not a regional or nationality thing at least in my situation.

Catlady: I guess the Pita thing is up to what you can take? But we've had maybe a total of two or three since we've been innkeepers and that is the worse of the worse...not just a little PITA but a huge PITA that makes you so angry you wanna cry (only had two of those).
Ok Joey you are right about that and we will have to look at the demographics of were our guests have come from but when we had our B & B in WV they came from all over the world; here in the delta they are coming from within 2-3 hours from here maybe 5 hours. Another do the ones that are more afluent tend to be more Pita-esque? than the middle of the roads?.
My husband and I were just talking a minute ago. He never knew what PITA meant until I told him. Said we never had one..and we really didn't. We had a two who didn't follow our smoking policy..but they were not PITA's...just didn't do the rules.

We've only had two individuals on our DNR list. The both live within 100 mile range of here. Everyone else has been O.K. Of course some are more O.K. than others.

We've only had two individuals on our DNR list. The both live within 100 mile range of here. Everyone else has been O.K. Of course some are more O.K. than others..
If you're like me, the tiny 0.5% who are PITAs will still cause you grief and lost sleep that's hard for the other 99.5% to offset.
In business I've had to remind myself over and over that when the vast majority are happy and only a tiny minority complains, the problem generally doesn't lie with me, but with that tiny group of complainers (while admitting that some of the non-complainers would also be among that minority if the truth were known).
Likewise, I've learned that it's generally a mistake to make changes to the business just because a handful of people ask for a new service.
My family used to have a successful restaurant, only open for breakfast and lunch. There were about 4 people who were always saying, why don't you open for dinner too. We really need a nice place here to go out for dinner. So we finally went to the expense to hire staff and gear up for dinner service. Not a single one of those 4 who asked for it ever came to eat there in the evening! Amazing!

Ok Joey you are right about that and we will have to look at the demographics of were our guests have come from but when we had our B & B in WV they came from all over the world; here in the delta they are coming from within 2-3 hours from here maybe 5 hours. Another do the ones that are more afluent tend to be more Pita-esque? than the middle of the roads?.
My husband and I were just talking a minute ago. He never knew what PITA meant until I told him. Said we never had one..and we really didn't. We had a two who didn't follow our smoking policy..but they were not PITA's...just didn't do the rules.
catlady said:
A few come to mind. To me a pita would be someone unforgettable, like the lady who waltzed into the kitchen in her bathrobe and asked us (while we are cooking/preparing breakfast for a full house) "to please go out to her car and get her makeup. She doesn't want to wake her husband."
She was a pita. She then had him come down to the full table and express her sincerest apologies for not making breakfast as she ...(and here he went into details of the dramas of "her"). She was like some southern Norma from Sunset Blvd.
Then when they went to check out oddly enough his credit card didn't work, he offered to leave "her" as collaterol and go find a bank and "sort it all out" as some other trauma had befallen them in the night, it was too much, they said, they were overwhelmed by it.
OH YEAH SHE AND HE WERE PITA 100%. DNR is marked in red by their name!
SunsetBoulevardfilmposter.jpg
sjff_01_img0480.jpg

catlady said:
A few come to mind. To me a pita would be someone unforgettable, like the lady who waltzed into the kitchen in her bathrobe and asked us (while we are cooking/preparing breakfast for a full house) "to please go out to her car and get her makeup. She doesn't want to wake her husband."
She was a pita. She then had him come down to the full table and express her sincerest apologies for not making breakfast as she ...(and here he went into details of the dramas of "her"). She was like some southern Norma from Sunset Blvd.
Then when they went to check out oddly enough his credit card didn't work, he offered to leave "her" as collaterol and go find a bank and "sort it all out" as some other trauma had befallen them in the night, it was too much, they said, they were overwhelmed by it.
sjff_01_img0480.jpg

or the Carol Burnett version
carol_burnett.jpg

catlady said:
sjff_01_img0480.jpg

Well I should not have brought up the subject cause we ad a PITA or I should just say Uneducated and Unmannered guest Mon and checked out Tues. This guy I never did meet cause DH handled him. First he sat in the parking lot by the dumster and drank an 18 pack beer and chainsmoked. DH told him, you know you can sit in the gazebo or the side porch and drink and smoke-he said Naaa im a outdoor kind a guy, husband told me also that he had seen to many cops with their lights on and how could anyone live here, I would not send anyone here to learn how to teach AP classes (thats what he was here for). DH thought he was just "stupid". Next afternoon guest does the same thing, oh I forgot to mention that the first morning when DH was serving brekkie he told DH that "he just dont eat breakfast" -WHY HE DIDNT MENTION THIS AT CHECK IN? so....he drak his beer in the parking lot again. Check out morning he gets he kind of hurridly goes out the door. This is the disgusting thing WHICH I THINK WAS ON POURPOSE he left a "gift" in the toillette-if you get my drift-now that could have been an accident or NOT!
He is definantely in our DNR list...so I did not consider him a PITA but an INCONSIDERATE and UNMANNERED ignoramous-and to think that he is a teacher?! WOW I guess it takes all.
Good pics joey

My experience with PITA'S has been any person from a larger city that thinks they are better then you... our B&B is in an extremely rural area and I notice guests from larger/richer cities ( NY, DC, Atlanta, Chicago) These are the people I have found to be just a little too haughty for my taste, not all of course. Most of these people are lovely. But the True PITA's that we have had, are from larger cities.

Every last one of our PITA's have been associated in some manner with one particular community/organization located here in our town. I will not say which it is but it is NOT the sailing community, or the Naval Academy, or the politicians... I was quite surprised that not one person who has stayed here that has had an association with this "particular place" has presented any redeeming qualities that would allow us to re-think our assessment of the group as a whole. I do not like to stereotype but with these people I cannot refrain!! They have all been PITA's without fail and frankly have been our ONLY PITA's!! I have yet to decline a reservation based on this association, but am very, very tempted as every single last one of them I have regreted having as guests. (I even have a relative I otherwise like who falls into this category and when she and her family stayed here during the holidays last December, that's when it really struck me that there must be some strange psychological thing with this group that they cannot be pleasant, respectful, or content with their accommodations!!)
BTW, these particular PITA's come from all across the country and span multiple generation groups as well...

Every last one of our PITA's have been associated in some manner with one particular community/organization located here in our town. I will not say which it is but it is NOT the sailing community, or the Naval Academy, or the politicians... I was quite surprised that not one person who has stayed here that has had an association with this "particular place" has presented any redeeming qualities that would allow us to re-think our assessment of the group as a whole. I do not like to stereotype but with these people I cannot refrain!! They have all been PITA's without fail and frankly have been our ONLY PITA's!! I have yet to decline a reservation based on this association, but am very, very tempted as every single last one of them I have regreted having as guests. (I even have a relative I otherwise like who falls into this category and when she and her family stayed here during the holidays last December, that's when it really struck me that there must be some strange psychological thing with this group that they cannot be pleasant, respectful, or content with their accommodations!!)
BTW, these particular PITA's come from all across the country and span multiple generation groups as well....
Is this a "Guess the Pita" Jeopardy for Innkeepers episode?
Now you totally have me wondering what this group is, but I won't mention religious affiliation, medical organization, race or any of that.

BTW, these particular PITA's come from all across the country and span multiple generation groups as well....
Now you totally have me wondering what this group is, but I won't mention religious affiliation, medical organization, race or any of that.
I was wondering too... they have a big hospital and a University around there. Alums or Docs... what's your guess?

I was wondering too... they have a big hospital and a University around there. Alums or Docs... what's your guess?
...well, no religious affiliation so to speak and no medical docs that I'm aware of... funny thing is if I were to pigeon hole the group I would have expected people who tended to be laid back and open-minded......
Regardless of the truth, I'm guessing I've said too much already... but as I'm sure you can all relate, it does feel good to vent!!
embaressed_smile.gif

Back