PITA Research

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D - definately
I - isn't
R- returning
T - to
B - be
A - a
G - guest.
teeth_smile.gif

My experience with PITA'S has been any person from a larger city that thinks they are better then you... our B&B is in an extremely rural area and I notice guests from larger/richer cities ( NY, DC, Atlanta, Chicago) These are the people I have found to be just a little too haughty for my taste, not all of course. Most of these people are lovely. But the True PITA's that we have had, are from larger cities..
sweetie85 said:
My experience with PITA'S has been any person from a larger city that thinks they are better then you... our B&B is in an extremely rural area and I notice guests from larger/richer cities ( NY, DC, Atlanta, Chicago) These are the people I have found to be just a little too haughty for my taste, not all of course. Most of these people are lovely. But the True PITA's that we have had, are from larger cities.
I totally agree with your assessment! This has been our experience too.

My experience with PITA'S has been any person from a larger city that thinks they are better then you... our B&B is in an extremely rural area and I notice guests from larger/richer cities ( NY, DC, Atlanta, Chicago) These are the people I have found to be just a little too haughty for my taste, not all of course. Most of these people are lovely. But the True PITA's that we have had, are from larger cities..
sweetie85 said:
But the True PITA's that we have had, are from larger cities.
We have the opposite experience. I have had a few from big cities or the left coast who were most likely very well-off and were haughty - even shared one with DonDraper. But almost all of my city guests are used to higher prices for fewer amenities in their travels, so we are seen as a charming, if quirky, good value for the $$.
My absolute worst experiences have been with guests from the local area, a radius of 90 miles or so. Our rates are not the most in town but they are not the least either, and they are set in accordance with the tourism market. I can only surmise that these folks think that for our rates, they should get the Four Seasons. The true PITAs have been so nasty that I would never even attempt to get feedback from them.

Catlady: I guess the Pita thing is up to what you can take? But we've had maybe a total of two or three since we've been innkeepers and that is the worse of the worse...not just a little PITA but a huge PITA that makes you so angry you wanna cry (only had two of those).
thanks so much Alibi---have any idea why
Ok Joey you are right about that and we will have to look at the demographics of were our guests have come from but when we had our B & B in WV they came from all over the world; here in the delta they are coming from within 2-3 hours from here maybe 5 hours. Another do the ones that are more afluent tend to be more Pita-esque? than the middle of the roads?.
My husband and I were just talking a minute ago. He never knew what PITA meant until I told him. Said we never had one..and we really didn't. We had a two who didn't follow our smoking policy..but they were not PITA's...just didn't do the rules.
catlady said:
My husband and I were just talking a minute ago. He never knew what PITA meant until I told him. Said we never had one..and we really didn't. We had a two who didn't follow our smoking policy..but they were not PITA's...just didn't do the rules.
A few come to mind. To me a pita would be someone unforgettable, like the lady who waltzed into the kitchen in her bathrobe and asked us (while we are cooking/preparing breakfast for a full house) "to please go out to her car and get her makeup. She doesn't want to wake her husband."
She was a pita. She then had him come down to the full table and express her sincerest apologies for not making breakfast as she ...(and here he went into details of the dramas of "her"). She was like some southern Norma from Sunset Blvd.
Then when they went to check out oddly enough his credit card didn't work, he offered to leave "her" as collaterol and go find a bank and "sort it all out" as some other trauma had befallen them in the night, it was too much, they said, they were overwhelmed by it.
OH YEAH SHE AND HE WERE PITA 100%. DNR is marked in red by their name!
SunsetBoulevardfilmposter.jpg
sjff_01_img0480.jpg

Well I should not have brought up the subject cause we ad a PITA or I should just say Uneducated and Unmannered guest Mon and checked out Tues. This guy I never did meet cause DH handled him. First he sat in the parking lot by the dumster and drank an 18 pack beer and chainsmoked. DH told him, you know you can sit in the gazebo or the side porch and drink and smoke-he said Naaa im a outdoor kind a guy, husband told me also that he had seen to many cops with their lights on and how could anyone live here, I would not send anyone here to learn how to teach AP classes (thats what he was here for). DH thought he was just "stupid". Next afternoon guest does the same thing, oh I forgot to mention that the first morning when DH was serving brekkie he told DH that "he just dont eat breakfast" -WHY HE DIDNT MENTION THIS AT CHECK IN? so....he drak his beer in the parking lot again. Check out morning he gets he kind of hurridly goes out the door. This is the disgusting thing WHICH I THINK WAS ON POURPOSE he left a "gift" in the toillette-if you get my drift-now that could have been an accident or NOT!
He is definantely in our DNR list...so I did not consider him a PITA but an INCONSIDERATE and UNMANNERED ignoramous-and to think that he is a teacher?! WOW I guess it takes all.
Good pics joey
birdwatcher said:
Check out morning he gets he kind of hurridly goes out the door. This is the disgusting thing WHICH I THINK WAS ON POURPOSE he left a "gift" in the toillette-if you get my drift-now that could have been an accident or NOT!
At least your guy did you the courtesy of putting his little treasure in the appropriate place, whether he flushed or not...
We just hired a live-in housekeeper to help with some of the day-to-day stuff so that we could get some time to breathe every now and then, but mostly to avoid having to coordinate schedules with 4 part-timers which sometimes took more time than actually just cleaning the rooms ourselves. This poor new guy came to us one day after a major PITA couple had left, stating that he found thoroughly soiled men's underwear stuffed behind the room's mini-fridge. REALLY?! Wow, I mean, I can understand being embarassed about something like that and wanting to hide it, but that's a bit much. I shudder to think what would have happened had our housekeeper not found it (which would have been difficult to miss, he said, due to the smell), and instead a Guest had come across it!
From the moment they checked in, I could not WAIT for them to hit the road! I assisted with their luggage (being a lady, most people don't think I can do it, but I'm stronger than I look) without a "thank you" which is fine. But then we got to the room, and of course, it was too small for their liking. Immediately they started looking around for where to "unpack." They were only staying two days, but were going to a wedding, so I understand that they would want to hang up nice clothes. There is a closet in that room for that purpose, but apparently this was not satisfactory. They requested that we bring up something, ANYTHING, that they could put clothes in or on. So we hauled up a small spare chest of drawers that luckily fit into the small room. Again, a thankless offering. By the time we came in with the chest, the lady had stripped the bed of all its pillows, shoving the shams and throw pillows at me, telling me to "just take them away, I don't want these in here." "Can I see any of the other rooms? Are they bigger?" (We were full that weekend, and everyone had already checked in). "Bring me an extra blanket." "Bring me FOUR extra pillows." "Is your oatmeal Irish?" "I need biscotti with my coffee or else I can't drink it, and I NEED my coffee." "Is this as loud as your TV goes?" "Take this light bulb - it's burned out - and get me a new one.... "
...I could go on for days. All of this, and still checked out two full hours late. Not sure where they came from, but my guess is the depths of hell...

Catlady: I guess the Pita thing is up to what you can take? But we've had maybe a total of two or three since we've been innkeepers and that is the worse of the worse...not just a little PITA but a huge PITA that makes you so angry you wanna cry (only had two of those).
Ok Joey you are right about that and we will have to look at the demographics of were our guests have come from but when we had our B & B in WV they came from all over the world; here in the delta they are coming from within 2-3 hours from here maybe 5 hours. Another do the ones that are more afluent tend to be more Pita-esque? than the middle of the roads?.
birdwatcher said:
There was another innkeeper on here for awhile who was in the general area to which you are going. She had some of the worst stories. You're headed toward a major metro area, college area, all indicators of highly stressed guests who tend to take it out on you.

catlady said:
A few come to mind. To me a pita would be someone unforgettable, like the lady who waltzed into the kitchen in her bathrobe and asked us (while we are cooking/preparing breakfast for a full house) "to please go out to her car and get her makeup. She doesn't want to wake her husband."
She was a pita. She then had him come down to the full table and express her sincerest apologies for not making breakfast as she ...(and here he went into details of the dramas of "her"). She was like some southern Norma from Sunset Blvd.
Then when they went to check out oddly enough his credit card didn't work, he offered to leave "her" as collaterol and go find a bank and "sort it all out" as some other trauma had befallen them in the night, it was too much, they said, they were overwhelmed by it.
OH YEAH SHE AND HE WERE PITA 100%. DNR is marked in red by their name!
SunsetBoulevardfilmposter.jpg
sjff_01_img0480.jpg

Well I should not have brought up the subject cause we ad a PITA or I should just say Uneducated and Unmannered guest Mon and checked out Tues. This guy I never did meet cause DH handled him. First he sat in the parking lot by the dumster and drank an 18 pack beer and chainsmoked. DH told him, you know you can sit in the gazebo or the side porch and drink and smoke-he said Naaa im a outdoor kind a guy, husband told me also that he had seen to many cops with their lights on and how could anyone live here, I would not send anyone here to learn how to teach AP classes (thats what he was here for). DH thought he was just "stupid". Next afternoon guest does the same thing, oh I forgot to mention that the first morning when DH was serving brekkie he told DH that "he just dont eat breakfast" -WHY HE DIDNT MENTION THIS AT CHECK IN? so....he drak his beer in the parking lot again. Check out morning he gets he kind of hurridly goes out the door. This is the disgusting thing WHICH I THINK WAS ON POURPOSE he left a "gift" in the toillette-if you get my drift-now that could have been an accident or NOT!
He is definantely in our DNR list...so I did not consider him a PITA but an INCONSIDERATE and UNMANNERED ignoramous-and to think that he is a teacher?! WOW I guess it takes all.
Good pics joey
birdwatcher said:
Check out morning he gets he kind of hurridly goes out the door. This is the disgusting thing WHICH I THINK WAS ON POURPOSE he left a "gift" in the toillette-if you get my drift-now that could have been an accident or NOT!
At least your guy did you the courtesy of putting his little treasure in the appropriate place, whether he flushed or not...
We just hired a live-in housekeeper to help with some of the day-to-day stuff so that we could get some time to breathe every now and then, but mostly to avoid having to coordinate schedules with 4 part-timers which sometimes took more time than actually just cleaning the rooms ourselves. This poor new guy came to us one day after a major PITA couple had left, stating that he found thoroughly soiled men's underwear stuffed behind the room's mini-fridge. REALLY?! Wow, I mean, I can understand being embarassed about something like that and wanting to hide it, but that's a bit much. I shudder to think what would have happened had our housekeeper not found it (which would have been difficult to miss, he said, due to the smell), and instead a Guest had come across it!
From the moment they checked in, I could not WAIT for them to hit the road! I assisted with their luggage (being a lady, most people don't think I can do it, but I'm stronger than I look) without a "thank you" which is fine. But then we got to the room, and of course, it was too small for their liking. Immediately they started looking around for where to "unpack." They were only staying two days, but were going to a wedding, so I understand that they would want to hang up nice clothes. There is a closet in that room for that purpose, but apparently this was not satisfactory. They requested that we bring up something, ANYTHING, that they could put clothes in or on. So we hauled up a small spare chest of drawers that luckily fit into the small room. Again, a thankless offering. By the time we came in with the chest, the lady had stripped the bed of all its pillows, shoving the shams and throw pillows at me, telling me to "just take them away, I don't want these in here." "Can I see any of the other rooms? Are they bigger?" (We were full that weekend, and everyone had already checked in). "Bring me an extra blanket." "Bring me FOUR extra pillows." "Is your oatmeal Irish?" "I need biscotti with my coffee or else I can't drink it, and I NEED my coffee." "Is this as loud as your TV goes?" "Take this light bulb - it's burned out - and get me a new one.... "
...I could go on for days. All of this, and still checked out two full hours late. Not sure where they came from, but my guess is the depths of hell...
Thats the type of guest when they leave you do the happy dance with a martini and put them on your DIRTBAG list....:)

birdwatcher said:
There was another innkeeper on here for awhile who was in the general area to which you are going. She had some of the worst stories. You're headed toward a major metro area, college area, all indicators of highly stressed guests who tend to take it out on you.
Well i guess we gotta put our patience on huh?

Back