Pita's not restricted to bugging only innkeepers...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
I feel SO badly for my sister right now! She lives with her boyfriend and his parents are visiting from 10 hours away for 4 days, they arrived on Wednesday.
Evidently the mother has decided to model herself after a certain type of PITA: She wants to be entertained but can't really think what would be entertaining for her so she has decided to just pout. The weather was bad so their New Year's Eve plans got nixed and they don't have cable/satellite so TV watching is out. Evidently because they couldn't go out last night she really wanted to see Dick Clark and just sat pouting all night because she couldn't watch it (meanwhile they have WiFi and she has a laptop so why didn't she try to watch it online???).
She's bored but she doesn't know what she wants to do, she loves shopping but no one else does so I guess it's a power struggle. Why don't you have cable? Why don't you get XYZ paper delivered instead of this one? Why are you serving that for breakfast? Oh, and she has been known to flip tables over while playing card or board games because she is such a sore loser, so that is out as well. She had a pouting fit because she came in last on Wii bowling the first night.
Sounds like a spoiled 5 year old. I told my sister to grab a flask and keep herself "medicated" until they leave!!!

My son has a saying he picked up somewhere...'If you're bored, you're boring.' I've always liked that one. Very sorry for your sis. She can't say, 'They pay, they stay, they go away.'

And your sister should pay very close attention to how BF acts around his mother. If, somewhere down the road, your sis needs him to 'stand up' and he hasn't this weekend, it ain't happening later on.
The best way to deflate this sort of ego, for your sister, is to say, 'Oh, what would you have served for breakfast? Do you have the recipe, let's go shopping and you can make that tomorrow. I'd love to try it.'
'What is it about that other newspaper you like so much?'
'We don't watch TV that much so having cable/satellite is a horrible waste of money for us. We like to sit and talk to each other. Your son is so charming!'
And if none of that makes the old sour puss lighten up, a well-timed, 'You cetainly have a bug up your butt today, don't you?' may get them out the door faster than was expected.

is there something wrong with her? flips tables?! has she always been this way?
wow. i think i'd get her checked into a hotel and out of my house! that's awful.

And your sister should pay very close attention to how BF acts around his mother. If, somewhere down the road, your sis needs him to 'stand up' and he hasn't this weekend, it ain't happening later on.
The best way to deflate this sort of ego, for your sister, is to say, 'Oh, what would you have served for breakfast? Do you have the recipe, let's go shopping and you can make that tomorrow. I'd love to try it.'
'What is it about that other newspaper you like so much?'
'We don't watch TV that much so having cable/satellite is a horrible waste of money for us. We like to sit and talk to each other. Your son is so charming!'
And if none of that makes the old sour puss lighten up, a well-timed, 'You cetainly have a bug up your butt today, don't you?' may get them out the door faster than was expected..
Especially love the breakfast suggestion. Brilliant!

wow. i think i'd get her checked into a hotel and out of my house! that's awful..
seashanty said:
wow. i think i'd get her checked into a hotel and out of my house! that's awful.
Haven't you seen those 'Real Housewives' shows? That's how they behave. Maybe she thinks she's one of them, or maybe she is. However, if she were a guy, there'd be restraining orders. Altho maybe there are.
They must not have many friends if she's like that all the time. I wouldn't invite her over...

The boyfriend is a keeper for sure, so it's good to start working those future Mother in Law issues out now! He's doing alright for himself, pretty much just trying to keep the peace. The Dad is having a blast, he loves just hanging out. My sister did get in a well timed remark about how it's kind of a good thing that the weather is bad, it gives Mom that much more time to visit with her son...that is why you came here, remember?!?!
There's nothing "wrong with her" per se, but she's a sore loser evidently. They avoid any and all types of game playing in their house!
This is the first year that the boyfriend did not go home for Christmas and I think Mom is having a hard time with that...he's also the youngest and I think she's just struggling with the adjustment.

The boyfriend is a keeper for sure, so it's good to start working those future Mother in Law issues out now! He's doing alright for himself, pretty much just trying to keep the peace. The Dad is having a blast, he loves just hanging out. My sister did get in a well timed remark about how it's kind of a good thing that the weather is bad, it gives Mom that much more time to visit with her son...that is why you came here, remember?!?!
There's nothing "wrong with her" per se, but she's a sore loser evidently. They avoid any and all types of game playing in their house!
This is the first year that the boyfriend did not go home for Christmas and I think Mom is having a hard time with that...he's also the youngest and I think she's just struggling with the adjustment..
This is the first year that the boyfriend did not go home for Christmas and I think Mom is having a hard time with that...he's also the youngest and I think she's just struggling with the adjustment.
Bingo! It sounds like the "my baby is all grown up and has another woman in his life and where do I fit in now" syndrome. Some women just do not know how to do the Victory Dance! Victory Dance = FREEDOM, the last one moved out!
Is she also the kind who enjoys bad health? Seriously though, some have a very difficult time when their "baby" finds someone. It means they are now old (you have a youngest son old enough to be married?) or must now cut the umbilical cord that the kid may have cut but Mommy did not.
Granny and Mom had that problem until just before Mom left - THEN they became friends - sort of. Adding to the problem of this interloper marrying her boy was the loss of her younger son in WWII, something I think Mom forgot to take into consideration. Not pertinent but a thought that just occurred to me.

Mother-in-Law is the definition of PITA..
I am the very best M-i-L (currently 4 times with 2-ex and 1 soon-to-be-ex) because I keep my nose in West Virginia and the closest of the married kids is 650 miles away. My San Diego d-i-l knows she can tell me anything she wants, can call my son whatever (what can i say - he is a guy and whatever would probably be appropriate at the time considering he is my son so no angel) and it will not only NOT be held against her, it will NOT be told to him - whatever she says. Her Mother died a couple years ago and she has no family in the States. She needs SOMEONE she can talk to. I just listen.

A legend in your own mind. LOL
I stand by my first comment. I didn't invent the monster in law analogy. It goes back to the days of ...well Eve was the ONLY one who didn't have a mother in law to deal with ! ha ha :)

I stand by my first comment. I didn't invent the monster in law analogy. It goes back to the days of ...well Eve was the ONLY one who didn't have a mother in law to deal with ! ha ha :).
Of course I am! Saw enough with Granny & Mom to know what NOT to do! Poor Daddy was too dumb to take out a scissors and cut one of the ropes in his nose-ring. He had a very tender nose for 25 years - Mom pulling on one side and Granny on the other and neither one willing to give an inch to the other! I know only what they want me to know. Life is beautiful that way.
My M-i-L stayed in Arkansas and stirred up very little. She went from liking me to dispising me when I crossed her plans which is why I say - I had a mother-in-law and then she died. I was smart - I just moved!

Back