Place Setting Rotation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
Since we are the new kids on the block, we are discovering new and fun things about running a B&B.
wow.gif
tounge_smile.gif

We have one set of dishes for for the B&B. We also have but one set of dessert dishes that we use for everything from cobbler to yogurt at breakfast.
DW asked the question this morning, " Do we need to rotate our place settings so that it's not the same 'ol same 'ol, or do guests really notice that they're eating off the same dishes each morning?" This of course pertains to guests of a longer duration.
What do you guys do?

I have room for one set of plates. Period. Until I rearranged the cabinets in the kitchen, the PO's had the plates on the counter. Soooo, problem solved for me!
However, guests DO notice the place settings. The best I can do is change out the napkins. I have a run in blues and a run in greens so I swap them out every day.
When we were looking at B&B's we came across a couple where they had 4-5 sets of dishes and they swapped them out each day. Unless the dishes were strikingly different, I wouldn't notice day to day. I focus on the food!
Some places had special settings for holidays, etc. Again, I would notice Christmas dishes, but not if they were different Christmas dishes everyday.

I change them out. I have different sizes for different meals. Larger plates vs smaller plates etc with variables on small bowls, parfait cups etc.
Also depends on how many at the table. If it is 4 people versus 12 I have different amounts of plates left alive to handle the diff people. That probably dictates it more than anything else.
I have a gorgeous wedding type vitnage set, and I just don't like it here for breakfast.

I use blue willow english china and use the same all the time. Also supplement with white where needed. Have crystyl goblets and also antique ice cream dishes that I use for fruit sometimes.

I have two sets, one that I use most of the time (a really pretty Raplh Lauren Hampton blossom which I first found at Tuesday morning, and now can only find on ebay) and a plain white - if something has to be served from the microwave (horrors, lol, like reheating crepes which I cannot transfer to another plate, then I use the white ones, because the other set cannot go in the microwave.
Personally I think the guest notices "pretty", may or may not notice a change out, and agree their focus is on the food and the way it is presented.
Heck I would love to have space for different types of dishes.
I have been asked to do a Xmas dinner and think I may have to invest in a Xmas set ....

I have two sets, one that I use most of the time (a really pretty Raplh Lauren Hampton blossom which I first found at Tuesday morning, and now can only find on ebay) and a plain white - if something has to be served from the microwave (horrors, lol, like reheating crepes which I cannot transfer to another plate, then I use the white ones, because the other set cannot go in the microwave.
Personally I think the guest notices "pretty", may or may not notice a change out, and agree their focus is on the food and the way it is presented.
I have been asked to do a Xmas dinner and think I may have to invest in a Xmas set .....
just two sets, I switch every day, one day formal American Beauty, Royal Albert China and the next day beige casual corelle thin plates which wash and stack wonderfully. I would use the corelle every day if I had it my way but often wonder if guests may not think they are fancy enough.
Corelle is wonderful and great in the microwave too.

I have 3 sets of china for most of the year. I'm getting out of using the blue & white right now because it finally feels like Fall here.
regular_smile.gif
One set has silver trim, so no micro there. Getting ready to start using the Johnson Bros Friendly Village now thru the Winter months & then I have Christmas dishes, too, which will not come out until after Thanksgiving.
Also, have 3 sets of flatware plus different juice glasses and so on. It's fun to change out the place settings, tablecloths, placemats, napkins, everyday. Guests do notice and appreciate it when they are here for a longer stay.
It's the creative side that I enjoy vs. ironing or scrubbing the toilets. lol!
teeth_smile.gif

I have been asked to do a Xmas dinner and think I may have to invest in a Xmas set .....
just two sets, I switch every day, one day formal American Beauty, Royal Albert China and the next day beige casual corelle thin plates which wash and stack wonderfully. I would use the corelle every day if I had it my way but often wonder if guests may not think they are fancy enough.
knowlesl said:
I am anti correlle. Family use vs B&B use.

For years I used Pfaltzgraff Yorktown pattern as it was all I had. I now have a set (or most of a set - 5 cups) of Steubenville China. If there is a dinner and breakfasts, the Pfaltzgraff is breakfast and the Steubenville is dinner. Otherwise it depends on how many guests and how many nights.
I have several sets (and colors) of goblets and sherbets. I usually use the amber with the Steubenville and rotate the shades of blues, the set of green, or the purple or lavendar (have both) that are either WV or Ohio for the water & juice. I have begun using the Pfaltz. saucers and my custom made cups. The Yorktown gets silver chargers and the Steub. gets gold chargers. I also have several sets of glass knife rests and glass napkin rings that change out with the napkins. I also have 3 sets of silverplate.
We surprise the heck out of guests with the place settings because they do not expect that type of setting in a four-square in WV. I also now have the individual butters with the dome lids and whip honey butter to go with the English muffin bread. Individual creamers also.
Yes, they do notice if they are there for more than one breakfast.
Edited to say that now that i have another storage cabinet being built (space is a precious commodity in this old house), I am having another set of dishes made by my WV potter. Looking forward to them being done.

For years I used Pfaltzgraff Yorktown pattern as it was all I had. I now have a set (or most of a set - 5 cups) of Steubenville China. If there is a dinner and breakfasts, the Pfaltzgraff is breakfast and the Steubenville is dinner. Otherwise it depends on how many guests and how many nights.
I have several sets (and colors) of goblets and sherbets. I usually use the amber with the Steubenville and rotate the shades of blues, the set of green, or the purple or lavendar (have both) that are either WV or Ohio for the water & juice. I have begun using the Pfaltz. saucers and my custom made cups. The Yorktown gets silver chargers and the Steub. gets gold chargers. I also have several sets of glass knife rests and glass napkin rings that change out with the napkins. I also have 3 sets of silverplate.
We surprise the heck out of guests with the place settings because they do not expect that type of setting in a four-square in WV. I also now have the individual butters with the dome lids and whip honey butter to go with the English muffin bread. Individual creamers also.
Edited to say that now that i have another storage cabinet being built (space is a precious commodity in this old house), I am having another set of dishes made by my WV potter. Looking forward to them being done..
My dishes are made 'locally' in Union. I often see guests trying to look underneath to see the maker's mark. They think this is the same pattern they just saw down the street, they love it and are going to go back and buy it. Then I tell them, 'No, this is made by hand, here in Maine. That plate you are holding in the air like that is $30. For the plate, not the whole place setting.'

Edited to say that now that i have another storage cabinet being built (space is a precious commodity in this old house), I am having another set of dishes made by my WV potter. Looking forward to them being done..
My dishes are made 'locally' in Union. I often see guests trying to look underneath to see the maker's mark. They think this is the same pattern they just saw down the street, they love it and are going to go back and buy it. Then I tell them, 'No, this is made by hand, here in Maine. That plate you are holding in the air like that is $30. For the plate, not the whole place setting.'
Yes, I will probably cry when mine break. I just e-mailed him to double my prder to 4 place settings. I expected it to be done this year and he had pneumonia so is way behind. I expect to get them in March now. He plans to be a vendor at our Conference and exhibit my stuff as an example of his work.

gillumhouse said:
Edited to say that now that i have another storage cabinet being built (space is a precious commodity in this old house)
That's kind of our problem. Kitchen storage is limited to our family dishes and cooking utensils. For the B&B dishes all we have for storage is a Civil War period Jelly Cabinet. Breakfast is cooked in served from our kitchen that opens to the great room. All this is in a rustic setting, so fancy china really wouldn't work here. I do like the idea of handmade dinnerware. Kinda pricey though, isn't it?

gillumhouse said:
Edited to say that now that i have another storage cabinet being built (space is a precious commodity in this old house)
That's kind of our problem. Kitchen storage is limited to our family dishes and cooking utensils. For the B&B dishes all we have for storage is a Civil War period Jelly Cabinet. Breakfast is cooked in served from our kitchen that opens to the great room. All this is in a rustic setting, so fancy china really wouldn't work here. I do like the idea of handmade dinnerware. Kinda pricey though, isn't it?
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
You know what I love? I love all white. That goes well in every setting. I don't have all white but I always like it. Let the food be the main thing!
My settings are not over the top, I won't do that to guests, it scares them. But presentation does make a difference.

gillumhouse said:
Pricey? Probably but I want to finally have MY dishes. I was going to have the plate burgundy with silver gray rims but reversed it because my dinners are manicotti and that would disappear on a burgundy plate. Having the B & B gives me the excuse to have things I would not have otherwise (and spend money on things I never would have allowed myself to have if not for the B & B).
You are rustic so you are correct that a fancy would be out of place. I try to do mine the way I do because it is so unexpected and I think my guests do like it. Yes, I have had a couple first-timers who had never seen so fancy and they asked about the what to do and what is. Our DC and other big city guests have seemed pleased to find that WV is not the hicks they had been told we were.
If you have a local potter, you might want to check out prices and have something that is only yours. Or you could always do the "chuck wagon" look with the blue speckled enamelware - that does not break!
As in everything else, we each do what is right for us.

gillumhouse said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
You know what I love? I love all white. That goes well in every setting. I don't have all white but I always like it. Let the food be the main thing!
My settings are not over the top, I won't do that to guests, it scares them. But presentation does make a difference.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Penney's has a sale going on for their all white dinnerware. And it's square, so that always adds a little pop. I am not in the market for new pieces, but that's what I'd with if I were. All white. THEN I'd get tablecloths.
As to the 'kinda pricey' for the plates...you betcha! I was going to buy some new bowls because my housekeeper dropped a bunch of them. They're about $18/each. And I wanted some smaller, lunch size plates for when guests just want toast...$24/each.

gillumhouse said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Penney's has a sale going on for their all white dinnerware. And it's square, so that always adds a little pop. I am not in the market for new pieces, but that's what I'd with if I were. All white. THEN I'd get tablecloths.
As to the 'kinda pricey' for the plates...you betcha! I was going to buy some new bowls because my housekeeper dropped a bunch of them. They're about $18/each. And I wanted some smaller, lunch size plates for when guests just want toast...$24/each.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Ruby Tuesday uses whiet square and rectangular plates.

gillumhouse said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Ruby Tuesday uses whiet square and rectangular plates.
"Ruby Tuesday uses whiet square and rectangular plates."
I don't get out of town much...

gillumhouse said:
Some places in TX that we've stayed in had had "Lone Star" dishware or handthrown pottery which could work well in your setting. I would go with your theme there! That's the fun of it! That's what I had in mind for a place we put an offer on in TX which was a farmhouse with a guest wing. You have to go with what works for the atmosphere that you're trying to promote.
regular_smile.gif

I agree...you can also never go wrong with all white dishes. That is next on my wish list because all white can be mixed and matched with my other stuff.
regular_smile.gif

i only had one kind of dishes for the guests
the blueberry dishes from llbean ... they fit up here, definitely! and the guests liked them. they are creamy-white with small bunches of blueberries on them and blue around the rim, very heavy stoneware.
to vary the tables (for me as much as for the guests) i used different colored cloth napkins ... sometimes to match the decor of the room, sometimes to match the season, sometimes to compliment the flowers or whatever i put in the center of the table. i would also change the way i put the napkin and silverware so it was a little different every time.

the blueberry dishes from llbean ... they fit up here, definitely! and the guests liked them. they are creamy-white with small bunches of blueberries on them and blue around the rim, very heavy stoneware.
to vary the tables (for me as much as for the guests) i used different colored cloth napkins ... sometimes to match the decor of the room, sometimes to match the season, sometimes to compliment the flowers or whatever i put in the center of the table. i would also change the way i put the napkin and silverware so it was a little different every time..
seashanty said:
to vary the tables (for me as much as for the guests) i used different colored cloth napkins ... sometimes to match the decor of the room, sometimes to match the season, sometimes to compliment the flowers or whatever i put in the center of the table. i would also change the way i put the napkin and silverware so it was a little different every time.
Those are the plates that guests think I have! That's why they're looking at the bottom of the plate. Mine also have blueberries but they're not from Bean.

Back