Plague guestbook

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowpondgj

Reaction score
I have one room where noone will write in the guestbook, it is the most booked room and the least written in book...
It is written in, but not anywhere near the frequency of the other rooms. i figure, even if they didn't like the room that much, most people write about their experience here, not so much their room, so it seems weird to me...
We've tried leaving it open with pen ready... nada...
Anyone have this?

We go long stretches with nothing written in the book. I think it is just that they cannot think of anything to say other than the same dorky phrases everyone else writes. Either that or they just are not writers.
Edited to say: Or they could be like I am with the camera - I have it with me but am having too much of a good time to think to take it out and do photos.

In our guestbook, our visitors mentioned mainly appreciation about their stay, how they feel in the B&B and sometimes about rooms in term of "confortable". I never see a specific room mentioned in it
In our B&B, we mainly have clients knowing what is a B&B and what the most important for them is to come back home with experiences ! (Had few people from hotel hopefully !)
In the rooms, we provide a questionnaire, especially about room confort, lightening. When filled, it helps us, when necessary, to improve the service.
We are also belonging to a bicycle package (trips with 3 inns involved). At the last inn, a questionnaire is left to the clients with a already stamped envelope. So, they are free to send it keeping anonymous (Most important is to have their feelings ,good or not and. If comments pertinent, it allows us to improve the service). For example, when we start, breakfast does not contain enough protein for cyclists

I have one room where it was over 6 months before anyone wrote in the guestbook while other rooms were filling the book every night. I wrote one page in the book which seemed to get the ball rolling, but it is an odd book. Everyone writes on only the right hand page and only one guest per page. Other books are written on both sides, multiple guests per page, pictures, stories, blessings, etc.
Just not this one book in this one room. I fretted about it for a long time. What's wrong with the room that no one will write in the book?
(PS- After the first guest wrote in the book, I ripped out the page I did.)
I am getting ready to replace one room's book with a new one, that room's book is filled on every page. This room will also need a new book but only because of the single page writing. Yes, it is weird.

Noone ever writes in my guest books. I have come to live with it. I began a NEW type of book and started it out myself. It is a small book where you have a page to write something neat your discovered in the area. So far only one or two have been written in.
PS edited to say - NO I don't have them out as I have too much stuff that needs to be out in front view, and there would be zero room for guests stuff. I have them where you can see them tho.

Noone ever writes in my guest books. I have come to live with it. I began a NEW type of book and started it out myself. It is a small book where you have a page to write something neat your discovered in the area. So far only one or two have been written in.
PS edited to say - NO I don't have them out as I have too much stuff that needs to be out in front view, and there would be zero room for guests stuff. I have them where you can see them tho..
See that's the thing...they need to be out in plain view and open! Once I opened them up with the bookmark at the last comment, almost every guest writes in them
regular_smile.gif
I love the comments but I'm still waiting for that creative guest with a drawing or poem or something. The cutest comments were by a couple of 12 year old girls
teeth_smile.gif

Those comments make my day when I'm cleaning toilets!!
barf.gif

PS edited to say - NO I don't have them out as I have too much stuff that needs to be out in front view, and there would be zero room for guests stuff. I have them where you can see them tho..
See that's the thing...they need to be out in plain view and open! Once I opened them up with the bookmark at the last comment, almost every guest writes in them
regular_smile.gif
I love the comments but I'm still waiting for that creative guest with a drawing or poem or something. The cutest comments were by a couple of 12 year old girls
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

I have them on the dresser but not opened. And I generally have the 'Welcome' card on top. Some guests leave the page open when they write, others do not. I don't check everyday and sometimes I am surprised by the comments from guests who I never expected to say a thing.

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

I have them on the dresser but not opened. And I generally have the 'Welcome' card on top. Some guests leave the page open when they write, others do not. I don't check everyday and sometimes I am surprised by the comments from guests who I never expected to say a thing.
Bree said:
Dh insists on leaving them on the desks (I had them in the drawer before). He'll read them as soon as the people leave and bring them down if there's something new. (Which I hate, because then I have one more thing to take back upstairs.)
We have one that doesn't garner many responses, but finally has a few...
=)
Kk.

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

DH always makes fun of me for looking to see if the guests wrote anything, but you'd be surprised how helpful reading their comments is when I'm trying to remember them the next time they book! It makes my day when someone takes the time to write something. Most of the comments are about the dog, of course, she is the most important part of the staff, so I get a little jealous...
We do have a "plague" guestbook as well, it's for one of our smallest rooms, and it seems to be the room booked most often by "non-B&B" people...the ones who find us at the last minute and just book because we have an opening. I just don't think they're used to even having a book where they stay, so they don't write anything. It always makes you wonder though, did they have a bad time and that's why they didn't write anything?
That's called obsessing, and it's something most innkeepers are Olympians at!

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

Bree said:
Dh insists on leaving them on the desks (I had them in the drawer before). He'll read them as soon as the people leave and bring them down if there's something new. (Which I hate, because then I have one more thing to take back upstairs.)
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
The few that I get end up being personal notes to ME, so i tear them out. People do this and it is very sweet. But I don't want every guest reading in who is in that room. I have small notepads and other paper to write a note to me, but they do this in the guest book. NOT OFTEN, but on ocassion.

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

Bree said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
The few that I get end up being personal notes to ME, so i tear them out. People do this and it is very sweet. But I don't want every guest reading in who is in that room. I have small notepads and other paper to write a note to me, but they do this in the guest book. NOT OFTEN, but on ocassion.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
We stayed at a B&B and our room notebook included a comment "[name] your heart's not in the right place! You need to treat people how you'd want to be treated!"
First thought... didn't the innkeeper read the book? Why didn't she tear it out?
Second thought... I wonder what outrageous request the guest had that the innkeeper said no to... late checkout? early breakfast? massive discount?
=)
Kk.

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

Bree said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
So, what do you mean 'personal' notes? Almost none of ours are 'hey we went here and did this' they are 'we had a wonderful time, you were so nice, thanks for everything'. Yes, some are obviously addressed to the next guests using our names instead of 'you'. And we have one guest who keeps a running journal in my guest book (she's been here about 10 times).

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

Bree said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
We stayed at a B&B and our room notebook included a comment "[name] your heart's not in the right place! You need to treat people how you'd want to be treated!"
First thought... didn't the innkeeper read the book? Why didn't she tear it out?
Second thought... I wonder what outrageous request the guest had that the innkeeper said no to... late checkout? early breakfast? massive discount?
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
=)
Kk.
I would not tear that out because a missing page (or little bits of torn paper) would make me, the guest, wonder more than reading a 'bad' comment.

Some people write in the books others don't.
I have the books closed but there is a pen with the book and they are out in sight.
One guest who went to school here left a page of places for guests to go that she loved.
4 guys who came for a football game really surprised me by writing in the book.
They surprised me at check in, the leader of the group had looked around and he told me it was really nice and alot more than they expected. (They had the 2 bedroom suite) They also were respectful of the place and me. Nice young men.
You just never know who will write or what they will write about.
In the front of the book, I have written a personal message welcoming them and asking them to write a message in the book if they feel like it.

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

Bree said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
=)
Kk.
I would not tear that out because a missing page (or little bits of torn paper) would make me, the guest, wonder more than reading a 'bad' comment.
Bree said:
That's why I only buy spiral bound notebooks...
=)
Kk.

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

Bree said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
We don't have books in the rooms but do have a big guest book in the entrance hall. It was here when we bought the inn. I (of course) looked through the pages already there when we were here looking and saw a comment 'no chocolate chip cookies. small breakfasts. frown face'. That was my thought - didn't the PO look at the book ever? We removed all the pages and started from scratch with our own guests. The pages are punched, so removing a page wouldn't be obvious.

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

Bree said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
=)
Kk.
If that happened here I would GET A NEW BOOK! How odd to leave that in there.
PS When I take them out they are not noticable, it is not a book that is glued in binding where guests would wonder why that page was missing., it is hard sided and spiral bound.

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

Bree said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
So, what do you mean 'personal' notes? Almost none of ours are 'hey we went here and did this' they are 'we had a wonderful time, you were so nice, thanks for everything'. Yes, some are obviously addressed to the next guests using our names instead of 'you'. And we have one guest who keeps a running journal in my guest book (she's been here about 10 times).
Bree said:
Personal notes, personal info about themselves, personal stuff we discussed, nothing a stranger should be reading. "Dear JBJ - After the loss of my child.." stuff like that with information that does not concern a new guest in the room.

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

Bree said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
Personal notes, personal info about themselves, personal stuff we discussed, nothing a stranger should be reading. "Dear JBJ - After the loss of my child.." stuff like that with information that does not concern a new guest in the room.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
I am amazed a guest would leave a comment like that for all to see. They must realize OTHERS read the book... why not just tear the page out and leave it on the bed for you?

regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

barf.gif

Bree said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
I am amazed a guest would leave a comment like that for all to see. They must realize OTHERS read the book... why not just tear the page out and leave it on the bed for you?
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Maybe they don't. I have had a few like this. "Too much information" for anyone else to read. I have left a couple in that I still feel are a bit gushy. Some times guests can be a bit emotional. There was a young lady here who was a Harvard Graduate and lived in CO, then joined the military. She left a really personal note as she had lost her best friend and didn't know where to turn and enlisted and came back and was at a crossroads, and how her stay helped her...and thank you for not asking about her life, and on and on.... I save all of these in a folder. It was very touching and very sweet. She was here on her own. There was no way I was leaving that one in there.

Back